N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I was planning a road trip from Toronto to Montreal last year but it fell through. Really fancied going to a game in LNAH. Planned to go to games at every level. Ended up going to see my DEL team instead and absolutely loving it in Mannheim

One of the best times I ever had at a hockey game was at a DEL game in 2008.  It was a playoff game in Cologne between Kolner Haie and Adler Mannheim.  They remove the seats in the ends of the lower bowl to create terracing and I was in that standing section, the atmosphere was excellent with everyone jumping up and down singing.  I don't speak much German but it was still a blast.

Mannheim has permanent standing. Sector 401. I was in there in January and i fully intend on being back before the end of 2017.

The fan project display at the outdoor game was epic. There's a video of their efforts on YouTube. Banner was 60m per side and it too 300l of paint

On 3/26/2017 at 17:04, Miguel Sanchez said:

Happy anniversary!

Anniversary of this one below was a week ago, but given the playoff matchup I figured it was worth a post. 

Hope the streak continues.

On 3/27/2017 at 18:54, Leggy Blonde said:

Going to my first ever Flames game next Sunday against the Ducks. Got cheap tickets up in the nosebleeds so I dunno how good a view it'll be. Never been to an NHL game before but I've been really getting into the hockey since I moved to Canada last May. Only stepped inside the Fife Ice Arena once during my whole time in Kirkcaldy! I finally picked the Flames as my team when we settled in Calgary. Still very much a novice fan and I've enjoyed reading up the last few pages here. I'll be sure to pop by with any questions. 

Hope you enjoyed it, Anaheim is a great place to see a game and the fans are usually friendly to away supporters (except for Kings and Sharks fans). Gonna go to any of the upcoming series? Tickets are pretty cheap for playoffs.

Edited by kyle*

• 1 month later...

The thread seems to be strangely quiet considering its the best time of the year in the NHL. I got home from my own game last night just in time to see the handshakes. As much as I usually dislike them, I was rooting for the Sens. Guess now I'm rooting for the Preds, maybe I'll get to see the cup if PK Subban will brings it back to Etobicoke  

• 3 months later...

No better place to post this even though it's not NHL: I'm currently at Nottingham Panthers vs Mountfield (really Czech name that btw), but is this the main league composed of teams from around Europe (who are promoted through winning their country's league) or is it more like football's Champions League as a side issue to the regular season?

No better place to post this even though it's not NHL: I'm currently at Nottingham Panthers vs Mountfield (really Czech name that btw), but is this the main league composed of teams from around Europe (who are promoted through winning their country's league) or is it more like football's Champions League as a side issue to the regular season?

Mountfield is the name of the sponsor. They're from Hradec Kralove but moved from Ceske Budejovice after being told they couldn't sell Budvar at the rink.

The CHL is still a pretty new tournament but seems quite promising. The main drawback is that no KHL (mainly Russian) teams take part. Another problem is that a lot of the games are in the pre-season and clubs only really start taking it seriously when they get to the knockout stage (c.f. Scottish League Cup).

Incidentally, there's an EIHL thread somewhere which covers the domestic league in which Nottingham play.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The CHL is pretty much the Champions League of European hockey. It's dominated by Swedish teams, although some results from the first group stage this season have been pretty interesting. Fans of the bigger European clubs don't tend to turn out for it. UK fans tend to see it as a chance to watch some top class opposition in person and put very little stock in the actual results, although our club sides have had a few wins as well as some thumping losses.

The EIHL is the UK's top level of pro ice hockey. Your location is Aberdeen - if you're still up there then your local option is to watch Aberdeen Lynx play in the Scottish National League. The SNL is probably similar to the idea of the junior football leagues. It's not beer league amateur but it's still a drop off from the Elite League and National League levels of professional and semi-professional hockey.

It's a great sport to follow. I first started watching hockey when Channel 5 showed 3 or 4 games a week. I was a uni student in the late 90s and it was my reward for finishing studying. Scottish pro hockey took a hit with the demise of the old British National League - Fife and Paisley played in various Scottish leagues, some with cross border involvement with the north east of England. Edinburgh bravely continued in top level hockey until they were joined by Braehead and Dundee in 2010 and then a returning Fife Flyers. Fans are quick to talk our game down and at times the administration of the league and of individual clubs would make the SPFL look professional, but it's still unbelievably addictive.

Freesports is showing Champions Hockey League games. I watched that Nottingham game last night, and they're going to show SHL (Sweden) games, Spengler Cup games, an assortment of the British national team games and some from the World Championship. Judging from the times I've been watching it they show repeats of various games at various times so it'll probably be quite easy to find something.

On 9/2/2017 at 18:17, Miguel Sanchez said:

Freesports is showing Champions Hockey League games. I watched that Nottingham game last night, and they're going to show SHL (Sweden) games, Spengler Cup games, an assortment of the British national team games and some from the World Championship. Judging from the times I've been watching it they show repeats of various games at various times so it'll probably be quite easy to find something.

Considering I live in Canada, I never thought I'd be jealous of tv coverage you can get in the UK!

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:55, Torpar said:

Considering I live in Canada, I never thought I'd be jealous of tv coverage you can get in the UK!

If it's any consolation my uncancellable auto-renewing NHLTV subscription came in at the start of the month

Ninety-odd pound to watch the Avalanche for another season, oh joy

14 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If it's any consolation my uncancellable auto-renewing NHLTV subscription came in at the start of the month

Ninety-odd pound to watch the Avalanche for another season, oh joy

Is it a package just for Colorado? If not just pick a new team on the east coast, won't have to stay up as late to watch them! I have NHL Gamecentre free as I have my mobile phone with Rogers. I also have a good choice of hockey from Midget AAA, Juniors, AHL etc on cable. It would nice to see some European hockey every now and then though

17 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Is it a package just for Colorado? If not just pick a new team on the east coast, won't have to stay up as late to watch them! I have NHL Gamecentre free as I have my mobile phone with Rogers. I also have a good choice of hockey from Midget AAA, Juniors, AHL etc on cable. It would nice to see some European hockey every now and then though

When I got it last year I'm sure it said there was an option for a single team package (or there was going to be), and given how much time watching 82 games actually takes up I didn't watch as many other games as I was expecting/hoping, but it's still pretty decent value if you work it out to £1.10 per game.

The Colorado Avalanche has a proud history of being one of the most stubborn sporting organisations in North America. As the glory years were built through the trading nous (at the expense of any real development strategy) of Pierre Lacroix (itself largely created by having a bidding war for the best prospect in a generation and being able to acquire the best goalie ever for peanuts to set the team up from the 95/96 season onwards), another aspect of his player management became ingrained. If you wanted more from a contract than you were offered, you were blackballed. Chris Drury, 2001 playoff hero and alternate captain in his mid-twenties of a team that contained Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Adam Foote and Rob Blake, was traded and managed to return Jeff fucking Shantz. Sandis Ozolinsh, 60 point defenseman, ended up in Carolina for nothing. Ryan O'Reilly, with the added bonus of his da's unedifying twitter account, was the latest high profile casualty of this. In a nice case of these things coming full circle O'Reilly actually made the team as an 18 year old after being drafted 33rd, to improve in every season since. During the lockout in 2012 he signed in Russia and stayed there even after the NHL started again, a matched Flames offer sheet for a two year, six million dollar deal being the only way we were going to sign him. We weren't offering more than six million because that's what Matt Duchene is paid, and that's the limit. Sadly we were denied the hilarity which should have occurred when O'Reilly should have gone through waivers because he signed after playing in a non-NHL league, but that's besides the point.

As another aside, Matt Duchene did turn up to training camp today. After more than a year of his GM, Lacroix's protégé, saying he wanted to trade him. He looks like his family's been killed in front of him.

Anyway, after O'Reilly got sent to Buffalo who fulfilled his boyhood dream of being paid a six million signing bonus in lieu of salary before crashing drunk into a Tim Horton's and running away from his car, the Avalanche were left with about the best return possible from a noted walloper who wasn't going to re-sign when he had one year left on his deal - an assortment of higher-end prospects and draft picks, including legitimate first pairing potential defenseman Nikita Zadorov. I think all in we ended up with 7 separate assets from O'Reilly, so it's not so bad. Last year was Zadorov's first real NHL season, which as you may remember was a complete holocaust of a season. The worst since the Atlanta Thrashers (RIP) played their first in 99/00. Zadorov, 21, playing defence on that team was good. One of the few bright spots for the future, for his ability to kill the Winnipeg Jets single-handedly. And hey, he's due for a new contract in the summer. And hey, it's the first day of training camp, and the word is the same as it's been since, er, May. They're agreed on length (two years), they're off by value (about 500k a year). And here we are, probably the best defensive prospect that's ever been in an Avalanche jersey (this isn't an exaggeration, the best Avalanche-drafted defenseman is John-Michael Liles), will not be on the team to start the year. The main piece of the return for O'Reilly will not be on the team. I have no doubts now that Zadorov will be nowhere near the Avalanche in two years' time (at most) and whether Joe Sakic is still GM or not (I hope not) that great legacy of Lacroix will live on, and we'll continue to lowball anyone remotely promising. Except now there's no legitimate cause for a belief that the Avalanche brand means anything other than humiliation at every level of meaning.

Still, we've got (post hip-surgery) Jared Cowen on a PTO, I'm sure @tigerton will have a wee chuckle at another Senators cast-off inevitably making the team.

On 14/09/2017 at 23:39, invergowrie arab said:

Should I go to Ranger v Devils or Penguins?

I know they are both fairly big rivalries

Years back when Devils were competent I went to a couple of Rangers/Devils games, one at MSG and one at Providence Centre. Was really good.

Now though I'd suggest Penguins as you'll actually see a decent game.