Hillwalking Thread

6 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Novice at hillwalking but keen to give it a go as a way of trying to build up my Fitness level. Have been investigating possible munroes for beginners and Ben Lomond seems like it's reasonably pathed with little chance of me getting lost or into trouble, but with great views from the summit, and it's relatively close. I would hope to get a couple of walks in the Pentlands to prepare. Do you experienced guys/gals think this sounds reasonable? 

If you go straight up and down Ben Lomond is no bother but you need to get good at navigation as there are about a half dozen hills that have a motorway to the top like that.

Done my first bit of hill walking over here at the weekend, with a relatively easy walk up the Teufelsschlucht and the slightly more challenging Belchenflue. Start to finish the route we took in was a total walk of around 18km with the highest point just under 1100m above sea level, which is around 600 meters above the lowest point of the route. Need to try and get back into this as there are a f**k load of good routes within 30 minutes of my front door.

Going camping at Loch Insh for the weekend with a group of people I went to school with. There's varying levels of fitness and hillwalking interest in the group and its mainly a pissed up reunion however I'm planning on bagging Sgor Goaith and hopefully everyone else will be up for it too. 

The Monadhliath range looks quite long and tedious so leaving that for another time when I'm not with people who haven't done much hillwalking. It'll take me up to number 10 though so excited to get that. 

Here's a picture of Corrie Fee looking stunning from walking Mayar and Driesh about a month ago. Pretty amazing what is out there less than an hour drive from Dundee.

image.png

22 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

If you go straight up and down Ben Lomond is no bother but you need to get good at navigation as there are about a half dozen hills that have a motorway to the top like that.

12 hours ago, Emil Borkhausen said:

There are courses you can go on to learn navigation but ultimately you'll only really learn by doing it yourself with nobody else to rely on. The trick is to start with hills where you know there is a road nearby, like Glenshee or Drumochter, that way if you get lost you know you have the safety net of heading in a certain direction to reach the road. You'll only learn by making your own mistakes but strategies like the one outlined above will mitigate the consequences of mistakes while you're still learning.

Thanks guys, I did basic navigation many years ago on DoE but could definitely do with a refresher. At the moment though, will stick to the 'easy' hills as I break myself in 

8 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Thanks guys, I did basic navigation many years ago on DoE but could definitely do with a refresher. At the moment though, will stick to the 'easy' hills as I break myself in 

I couldn't tell you where Kirknewton is, but as you're a Mo fan I'm guessing that Mount Keen is nearer to you than Ben Lomond. It's a long walk but fairly straightforward (one wee river to jump).

Hello Guys. Just found this thread. I'm off to do 3 Munro's at Arrochar today and tomorrow. Looking like low vis on the tops as per usual but otherwise good mountain weather. I'll let you know how it goes.

I recently did Ben Lomond doing the circuit route going up Ptarmigan first. There is a good path and the only challenging part is the final ascent up to Ben Lomond top itself which needs a bit of scrambling confidence. Up and down the tourist trail is very easy and, like someone commented, it's like a motorway - although when I was there a couple of months ago there was some path reconstruction work going on at the start of the walk and an alternative path route for about a mile.

I've just seen a news report of a climber who has just been saved from the Fisherfield Forest. I'd never heard of it so had a gander online. f**k me that place looks stunning. It's said to be Scotland's only true wilderness. I'm definitely going to venture out there next summer with a tent.

6 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I've just seen a news report of a climber who has just been saved from the Fisherfield Forest. I'd never heard of it so had a gander online. f**k me that place looks stunning. It's said to be Scotland's only true wilderness. I'm definitely going to venture out there next summer with a tent.

Have a look at Knoydart. Beautiful area with no roads.

Climbed High Street and Mardale III plus a couple of others today plus Helvellyn on Tuesday.

Really surprised at the noobs climbing up striding edge or swiral edge with kids and dogs. It's rated at a higher grade than eogach eagach.

I did it from Thrilmere, cracking walk.

Aren't both rated as grade 1?

It just seemed different to see many kids and dogs scrambling up rocks as opposed to Scotland where you hardly see anyone.

I haven't been near EA, so forgive the comparison. I do know part of striding edge is dodgy so perhaps they rated the entire walk on this?

Striding edge is Grade 1 scramble, aonach eagach is grade 2 although in my opinion is pretty close to a grade 3 even in dry summer conditions.

The obvious Scottish comparative to SE I would say is the carn mor dearg arete.

It's been a shot year for hillwalking for me. Fucked Achilles means no walks since my Skye trip in May. Tomorrow looks OK though so might test out on schiehallion or ben vrackie

Edited by invergowrie arab

On 8/17/2016 at 00:30, paul-r-cfc said:

Doing Tom na h-Airidh in Helensburgh tomorrow. Fancied one nearby and this looks relatively straightforward for me to ease into. Promises to be a lovely day too

How did you find it?

When I did it it was an absolute bog trudge up there with anything on Rannoch moor.  There is a couple of different ways you can go up though, think I might have taken the wrong one.

23 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's been a shot year for hillwalking for me. Fucked Achilles means no walks since my Skye trip in May. Tomorrow looks OK though so might test out on schiehallion or ben vrackie

I was up Schiehallion a few weeks ago. As it's relatively isolated in terms of its proximity to other high peaks, I was looking forward to the views, but the last few hundred feet were in thick cloud, so although we were able to look back down Loch Tummel throughout the ascent, we didn't get the view west at all. 

Very straightforward walk, with a built path for most of the way, but the last half hour of the ascent, over scree with very little visibility, was a bit dull.