Hillwalking Thread

Meall Garbh, An Stuc, Ben Lawers and Ben Ghlas all climbed today. Absolutely fantastic days walking. I did the whole lot of them wearing a t shirt and shorts! It was awesome. Knackered and we could see for miles and miles from all the summits.

My legs felt like they were on fire at times but it was well worth it. :D Best days walking I've ever had.

Meall Garbh, An Stuc, Ben Lawers and Ben Ghlas all climbed today. Absolutely fantastic days walking. I did the whole lot of them wearing a t shirt and shorts! It was awesome. Knackered and we could see for miles and miles from all the summits.

My legs felt like they were on fire at times but it was well worth it. :D Best days walking I've ever had.

Am hoping to do the Ghlas-Lawers-Stuc trio over the coming month or so - is the bit from Ben Lawers to An Stuc pathed or is it a case of find your own way over?

Did Ben Nevis via the CMD at the weekend.

The visibility was really poor, above the cloud base (at approx 2000ft) it was a generous 10m.

The scramble from the valley up to the arete was really pretty difficult and tiring which was made worse by the fact we had abosultely no idea how far we had to go. When we were up there the wind was absolutely howling which made the walk along the arete very daunting and a bit frightning in places.

We often had to get the compass out and check our bearing and had to correct ourselves a few times because at the wider sections we seemed to wander off path due to the poor visibility. At one section near the summit we were scrambling over boulders/scree which I'm not sure we should have been doing.

All in all it was a challenging but great walk and took 8 hours in total.

We often had to get the compass out and check our bearing and had to correct ourselves a few times because at the wider sections we seemed to wander off path due to the poor visibility. At one section near the summit we were scrambling over boulders/scree which I'm not sure we should have been doing.

Naw - you were going the right way. It's a bit of a boulder field towards the end of cmd.

Though in Jan/Feb it can just be nice and smooth, though steep. And very white. :)

Am hoping to do the Ghlas-Lawers-Stuc trio over the coming month or so - is the bit from Ben Lawers to An Stuc pathed or is it a case of find your own way over?

I didn't notice a path. It's fairly grassy and near enough straight up to Lawers. There may be a faint path but I was blowing out my arse at that point and was following my mates footsteps. Steeeepp

You'll be going the opposite direction to me. In which case it will be a piece of piss :P

Edited by Reynard

As far as I can recall there is a fairly visible path. If you have two cars you can include the other two Munros (Meall Greigh and Meal Garbh) at the other end of the ridge.

Did The Cobbler yesterday. Took about 4 hours from the Succoth car park though I was just ambling along quite slowly. I had planned to do Narnain as well but the weather was really poor so decided against it. Doing Narnain and Beinn Ime on Sunday instead.

Did you get to the very top?

I'm pretty sure I did. I'd sort of heard that it was quite difficult to get to the true summit, but I'm almost certain I was at the highest point without being caused too much trouble. There was a bit of scrambling/crawling on my hands and knees to the ledge/rock stack type rock formamation.

I'm pretty sure I did. I'd sort of heard that it was quite difficult to get to the true summit, but I'm almost certain I was at the highest point without being caused too much trouble. There was a bit of scrambling/crawling on my hands and knees to the ledge/rock stack type rock formamation.

Did you get through the eye alright? I'll need to get back and do the Cobbler properly soon.

Me and a friend went up the Ochils today and took the senic route up Ben Ever across to Ben Cleugh then back down the law. Took us around 2.5 hours to reach the summit of Cleugh then about 1.5 hours to get back down to the bottom from there. Was a bit of a slog at times but the visibilty were excellent and though I may be bias I love the rolling green Ochils. Will post my pics later when I've had a chance to get a bit of feeling back into my feet.

Did you get to the very top?

That's something I've never managed. I want to go back and do that but the weather was just too horrendous to even try it the last time.

I like the Cobbler, it's a memorable hill.

A friend and myself decided to do a short afternoon's hillwalking in the Ochils taking in two of the peaks one of which is the tallest in the Ochils (Ben Cleugh). I'd been up Ben Cleugh a number of times before but for a number of silly reasons never saw anything worth writing home about.

we set off around 11.30am and headed up the forest track in the Mill Glen in Tillicoultry. You pass an old abandonded quarry on the way which looks a little eerie.

cleugh20_07_08-01.jpg

Instead of taking the normal route up Ben Cleugh via the Law we took a path that split to our left just after you emerge from the trees of the forest track. I figured the walk might be a bit easier if a little longer and I was mostly right. The walk was a bit of a slog in places but as it was a beautiful day we weren't complaining.

Looking back at the Law

cleugh20_07_08-07.jpg

The only thing about the path up Ben ever though is you can't really see where you're headed for until the last stretch. we reached the summit of Ben Ever at about 1.30pm but as there was no shelter from the wind we pressed on to do Ben Cleugh which we could see to our right. There is a handy fence that runs along past the summit of Ben Ever and up onto the summit of Cleugh.

cleugh20_07_08-18.jpg

There's a clear path too though and so we followed that and reached the summit of Ben Cleugh at about 2pm.

Looking back to Ben Ever from the path going up Ben Cleugh

cleugh20_07_08-20.jpg

After a quick picnic we headed back down Cleugh the other way (The Law) which proved to be much quicker though there is a tiny bit of mild scrambling before you get back onto the footbridge leading back to the forest track we'd come up on.

cleugh20_07_08-33.jpg

A nice easy enjoyable walk and as I mentioned before I may be bias but I love the gentle green Ochil hills. :D Here are a few pictures I took at the top of Ben Cleugh. We stopped for a drink in the little pub that's just down from the start of the Mill Glen walk.

Ben lomond and the Cobbler

cleugh20_07_08-23.jpg

Stuc a Chroin and Ben Vorlich

cleugh20_07_08-25.jpg

Greeness

cleugh20_07_08-27.jpg

And a few more...

cleugh20_07_08-27.jpg

cleugh20_07_08-31.jpg

Finally got round to walking up arthur's seat today, i was knacked by the time i got to the top, but it was worth it for the views alone. I'l put some pics up when i find the bloody usb cable for my camera.

Did Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime at the weekend (as well as some long distance walking) and both were surprisingly easy.

I also realised there is a proper stone path up The Cobbler from futher up the valley. I just went up the face that you see when approaching from the Succoth carpark over and the 'path' I was climbling was just a stream :lol:

I also realised there is a proper stone path up The Cobbler from futher up the valley. I just went up the face that you see when approaching from the Succoth carpark over and the 'path' I was climbling was just a stream :lol:

That's exactly what we did, my boots haven't been properly dry since. Will need to see if we can spot the other path you speak of the next time we go up the Cobbler.

That's exactly what we did, my boots haven't been properly dry since. Will need to see if we can spot the other path you speak of the next time we go up the Cobbler.

If you keep walking along the path instead of taking the left fork to approach the face we both climbed, just keep on the path as if you were going to do Beinn Ime and the Cobbler path is on the left 'round the back' of the hill. It's mainly a series of stone steps and you can't miss it.