Hillwalking Thread

Did Scald Law on Saturday.

Started at Flotterstone Inn and walked up from there over the three hills and back again.

It was the busiest walk I have been on but it was well signposted and the path was pretty clear.

The summit was pretty much underwhelming, thought you could get a better view from the adjacent one with the rocky cairns on the top.

I think a better walk might be from the reservoirs and over the kips but that is 18km and there was a weather front coming in so I decided to do the easier 10km walk there and back but the walk up to the first one was a killer as I had played five-a-side the day before and my calf muscles were killing me.

:lol:

We were up Meall Ghaordaidh near Killin on Sunday, starting in Glen Lochay. Not the most spectacular views but not a bad day nonetheless. Quite nice to do something without much of a path for a change (well there was, but we didn't find it until we were on teh way down!) and the sun came out for us to eat our pieces at the top, so can't complain. Quite a decent one for getting back into it after quite a few weeks of no hillwalking - it's annoying how quickly you can lose your hillwalking fitness.

I'm hoping the do all the Buchaille Etive Mor peaks pretty soon. Munro Magic suggest 5.5 hours, is this about right?

Also, from Glasgow, is 2 hours about right to get to Altnafeadh (where the walk starts)?

It's a while since we were up there (2002 I think) but I'm pretty sure it took a bit longer than that. I only remember because we started later than normal (about 12) and just as we got down at nearly 6.30/7pm the sun went behind the hills and it got dark pretty quickly after. However, that was the first year that we started going hillwalking properly, so it might well be that we would do it quite a bit more quickly now and indeed if you're out up the hills regularly I'm pretty certain you would be faster than that. Nice ridge that one, well worth doing it all instead of just climbing Stob Dearg and going back down. Not sure how long it would take from Glasgow but from Kirkcaldy to Glencoe usually takes me about 2 hours 50 min. The bit after Crianlarich to Glencoe is quite a good road and doesn't take that long unless you're unlucky and get stuck behind a caravan.

• 2 weeks later...
Glen Nevis to the Steall Falls (and the shoogly bridge) is one of my favourite walks down that way.

Walk Highlands route

Spookily enough that's exactly the one I did. By the shoogly bridge I take it you mean the wire tightrope thing to get to the waterfall?

Weather was incredible for this time of year. Got a few cracking snaps in the sunshine. Stayed in a great little chalet thing near Banavie that was terrific value if anyone is heading out that way for the weekend.

We set off to do Ben Ime and Ben Narnain today but as it was so nice and there was hardly any wind we went back up the Cobbler instead.

This time I managed to reach the true summit though so am well chuffed about that. :D

I like the Cobbler. Its my favourite hill I think. So far.

Never got to do the true summit the two times I have been up there as the weather was just too horrendous.

I like the Cobbler. Its my favourite hill I think. So far.

Never got to do the true summit the two times I have been up there as the weather was just too horrendous.

I think my favourite was actually Ben Venue but the Cobbler is amazing to look at.

I scrambled through the eye myself and came to the three boulders you have to navigate up but for the life of me couldn't work out how to get up them. The holds I could see were no use for someone as short as me but I was determined to get up there.

Thankfully a couple arrived who knew what they were doing and helped me find my way up. the only hairy scary bit was standing up on one of the boulders. :o

I'll post pics when my photoshop starts working again.

I think my favourite was actually Ben Venue but the Cobbler is amazing to look at.

I scrambled through the eye myself and came to the three boulders you have to navigate up but for the life of me couldn't work out how to get up them. The holds I could see were no use for someone as short as me but I was determined to get up there.

Thankfully a couple arrived who knew what they were doing and helped me find my way up. the only hairy scary bit was standing up on one of the boulders. :o

I'll post pics when my photoshop starts working again.

Yeah The Cobbler is quit an exciting hill to look at. I had a go at getting to the summit the first time but my woolly bunnet blew off in the wind and I was finding it hard to stay upright so decided not to bother!

Did you get a view up there? Never seen anything at all when we got there. We never get a view at the top ever. Don't go hillwalking with someone like me. Not only am I horrible company, but I cause the weather to be shit as well.

Spookily enough that's exactly the one I did. By the shoogly bridge I take it you mean the wire tightrope thing to get to the waterfall?

Weather was incredible for this time of year. Got a few cracking snaps in the sunshine. Stayed in a great little chalet thing near Banavie that was terrific value if anyone is heading out that way for the weekend.

That'll be the one on here?

Yeah The Cobbler is quit an exciting hill to look at. I had a go at getting to the summit the first time but my woolly bunnet blew off in the wind and I was finding it hard to stay upright so decided not to bother!

Did you get a view up there? Never seen anything at all when we got there. We never get a view at the top ever. Don't go hillwalking with someone like me. Not only am I horrible company, but I cause the weather to be shit as well.

The first time I went up it was very windy and rainy, I managed to crawl through the eye but after that my bottle went. Yesterday it was dry and only a little bit windy so I was determined to get up somehow. We were actually going to do Ben Ime and Ben Narnain but I figured we could easily do those when the weather isn't so good.

We got a lovely view across to Ben Lomond, Ben Vane (we think) Ben Narniain and Ben Ime but we could see a fair few in the distance too. I took a picture of what I think is Stuc a Chroin and Ben Vorlich (we were originally going to head there). We could also see Loch Lomond, Loch Long and Loch Katrine.

Edited by Mousey

As I've said we were originally going to do Ben Ime and Ben Narnian but the weather was too good to pass up the oppertuity of finally getting to the top of the Cobbler. We started off from the head of Loch Long at around 10am and by this time the mist was starting to clear.

cobbler006.jpg

We decided to take the old path up some of the way so were walking through a small stream to start with. There are a number of large concrete blocks from the old hydro electric works. This was a little more interesting than taking the forestry commision path. We eventually did wind up on the forestry commision path and couldn't work out where our path started again so we took it. In my book it says there's a route that goes straight up Ben Narnain from the car park without the need of taking the path that cuts between it and the Cobbler but we couldn't find it.

Took a quick picnic at the Narnain boulders same as last time and by this time the mist had lifted off of the Cobbler completely and it just looked too inviting.

cobbler009.jpg

Anyway we decided to try out Fudge's suggestion and take a different path up the Cobbler this time. We found it by walking on after the first path to the Cobbler veers off to the left (heading to the coll between Ime and Narnain). We found a stone staircase type effort which was far easier than going up through the stream.

cobbler034.jpg

Even though it was slightly further on it took us less time to reach the top than it did when we went up the stream like last time. We also got some great views across to Ben Ime and Narnain and even saw what we thought was Ben Vane in the background.

Ben Ime

cobbler016.jpg

Ben Narnain

cobbler017.jpg

Ben Vane???

cobbler018.jpg

There was only one other chap at the summit when we got there and he wasn't going to attempt to get to the very top. I crawled through the eye and tried my best to get up on top of three other boulders at the end of the ledge but I couldn't find the holds I needed. There were a few but with me being 5,2" they were proving too difficult to use and I had a scary moment when I slipped off of one boulder and couldn't stop myself running when I hit the ledge. Thankfully there was another boulder to my right so I more of less threw myself into that. All this time my friend was shouting at me to come back through so I did though I was damn sure someone would come along that knew what they were doing sometime soon.

cobbler026.jpg

Sure enough a couple that looked well equiped (they had proper hillwalking clothes and everything) turned up and made it to the top. I saw my chance and dived through the eye, back up to the ledge and asked them how they got up. The lady was very helpful and told me where to put my feet and hands, my problem was I was trying to go up the boulders the wrong way and really had to wiggle up them on my arse using my feet to stop myself sliding back down. When she told me to stand up on the second boulder and walk over to the third I was a bit nervous but managed it OK and from there it was an easy crawl to the summit.

me_summit001.jpg

As soon as I got up there the wind picked up and I was desperately shouting at my friend to take a photo. :lol: She then said she couldn't work my camera but thankfully she at least managed to get one picture. I know it looks like I'm kneeling in the photo but I was standing up. I'd have spent more time up there but the couple that helped me up were waiting on me coming back down so they could make sure I got back across OK.

My summit photo isn't great as it gives no perspective as to where I was but I took a few more as others made their way up.

cobbler030.jpg

cobbler033.jpg

Thanks again for the info about the other path Fudge! ;)

Well done there! I've been up the Cobbler about a dozen times, and have been as far as looking through the needle. Maybe one day.....

It sounds cliche but don't look down. I'm sure the only reason I managed it was because I was determined not to acknowledge what would happen if I fell. :lol: Scrambling and climbing have never bothered me (yet) so this wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

I do! :D I've never convinced the missus to cross it.

I walked between Corrour Station (the station in Trainspotting) and Glen Etive a few years back - it was the most knackering yomp through bogs and burns I've ever done, but to emerge into that bit of Glen Nevis was just magic. It's almost Himalayan. Thankfully, the reverse walk from the car park is a lot easier!

My next mission is to walk up The Fara near Dalwhinnie. I hear it's got some nice views, is fairly close to the train line, and there's a wee bit of scrambling if you want it. Sounds good!