Hillwalking Thread

I dunno what one it is that we're doing, but the Geordie Munrovers doing "a munro" on the on the 26th of July i believe. It is all in aid of VRN which is the Victoria hospital's radio network. Looking forward to it :)

It's the 27th we're doing it.

Edited by MonTheRovers!!

Guest oddjob
I dunno what one it is that we're doing, but the Geordie Munrovers doing "a munro" on the on the 26th of July i believe. It is all in aid of VRN which is the Victoria hospital's radio network. Looking forward to it :)

It's the 27th we're doing it.

Good luck. :) Which one, so I can warn people. ;)

Climbed the Corbett Stob a' Choin today, starting at Inverlochlarig farm.

It is the steepest bugger ever - here's a photo.

The good news is that's me done with the Balquhidder road and it's hills.

What way did you do it? Pretty much straight up or along the ridges round the back as I described a few weeks ago? It is a mentally steep hill whatever way by the look of it, but it was quite enjoyable round the ridges. Sounds as if you're not that keen on taht area - have to say it's one of my favourites, I love the views along Loch Voil on the way there and also while climbing.

Can you walk from Arrochar and Tarbet station round the Northern part of Loch Long to get to the start of the walk for The Cobbler?

I haven't walked along the road, but I'm pretty sure I remember from driving along it that there's a footpath a good bit of the way until you get to Arrochar, and once you do the road is quite wide round to the head of Loch Long.

After completing my Bronze, Silver and Gold Duke of Edinburgh hikes, I can only gather that anyone who hillwalks for pleasure is crazy. I don't think I'll ever set foot up a mountain again. Can I ask why you guys do do it though, seriously. Is it for the view or the feeling of accomplishment? :)

It's good for fitness and a good view always makes it seem far more worthwhile.I like the feeling of isolation as well, and it's a great way to see all different parts of the country. I can't even just pin it down to that either - it's just something that I like doing.

Weather isn't looking too bad for tomorrow, looks like we're going to head up to Glencoe and Bidean Nam Bian. We aborted a trip up there a few years ago when the cloud came down and it hammered down with rain - should be quite good if it stays dry this time as it's meant to.

Guest oddjob
Weather isn't looking too bad for tomorrow, looks like we're going to head up to Glencoe and Bidean Nam Bian. We aborted a trip up there a few years ago when the cloud came down and it hammered down with rain - should be quite good if it stays dry this time as it's meant to.

I think your weather forecast might be wrong. Hope I'm wrong. Which way are you going up?

I don't have a proper map for it so am just using ones from the internet. I'll be walking from the station to the parking area at Succoth and taking the new zig zag path.

As you said it looks like it should be approx 2 miles. Mu main concern that the road was extremely tight with walls or a drop on either side like the road round Loch Lomond.

It's a busy road but no drops and not extremely tight or as twisty as bits of the Loch road are (were). I never knew there was a new zigzag path up The Cobbler from Succoth - pressure of boots, I guess has forced that. :(

The other hill by Ben Dorain is Beinn Dothaidh. You could add on the hills to the east (Achallader, Creachain etc (mibbe even BeinnMhanach sp?) and drop down to Gorton to make a BIG day of it, in good weather...

...a fine circuit.

ETA: FOR FRASER SMFC

Being in the hills gives you a great and true sense of perspective.

It diminishes all your day-to-day life-problems and helps you see how important you are in the big scheme of the world.

When you're dealing with (intellectual!) challenges of map reading, route-selection and following, camping, climbing, making your food especially in inclewment conditions like a blattering Cairngorm wind, a Cuillin mist or simply scottish snow and ice, then meeting those challenges and overcoming them can be very satisfying. And lets you forget for a little, problems that had been bothering you back home - and sometimes gives your mind space and time to address and solve those previously knotty insolubles...

I also love the views and the beer when I get back down.

And it takes my mind off StMirren. :)

Edited by chingford

I think your weather forecast might be wrong. Hope I'm wrong. Which way are you going up?

Started up the corrie (not the lost valley, the one to the right of it) then up to the ridge between teh two valleys, over one of the tops and up to the summit. Back round the ridge on the other side of the lost valley over a couple of other tops, then down into the valley and back to the road. The last time we did it we got to the top of the other Munro and went up the valley and back the same way - the way we went yesterday was far better. A wee bit of low cloud early but it cleared well before we got to the top and stayed clear all day, just a wee bit of rain near the end but most of the hard stuff was done by then.

Probably the best day I've had in the hills this year - the ridge back round and the steep slope down was brilliant, plenty scrambling but nothing too hard. The wee bit drizzle we got near the end made the last bit over the rocks quite tricky but we got there OK. The last time we tried to go up there the cloud was pretty far down and we couldn't see much - getting a decent day yesterday was amazing - the cliffs, the rock formations and pretty much everythig else about Bidean is just tremendous. Probably the best view of the Aonach Eagach you can get as well, being right opposite it - need to try and get up there some time as well. I think a day like yesterday with cloud cover, some of it pretty dark, is the best weather for seeing Glen Coe - it just makes the tremendous atmosphere that it has seem so much more intense and dominating.

My weekend was fucked by me being ill on the Friday night and my girlfriend being ill on Saturday night :(

Can anyone sueggest a Munro within 20-30mins drive of Fort William that is not as steep as some of the others but is generally quite a long or time consuming walk?

Guest oddjob
My weekend was fucked by me being ill on the Friday night and my girlfriend being ill on Saturday night :(

Can anyone sueggest a Munro within 20-30mins drive of Fort William that is not as steep as some of the others but is generally quite a long or time consuming walk?

Just off the top of my head, you could try Sgorr Dearg and Sgorr Dhonuill which you can access west of Ballachulish ref. NN046588. Or, Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin which can be accessed from Fersit ref. NN349781

This page really fooks up my laptop. :(

Edited by oddjob

Just arrived back from my weekend. What a smashing weekend :) Didn't get to climb The Devil's Penis as two of our chums are slower walkers than the two faster ones (myself and one other), so it took us longer than it took to walk in to the bothy at the Lairig Grhu, but still an excellent weekend.

I dunno if anyone's ever walked in from the Linn of Dee, but not too far from the car park (heading NW to the track) we came across this, at roughly NO062900:

metaltingd1.jpg

It's a metal tin, that looks a bit like a time capsule type of thing, buried and locked, with some kind of cable coming out of it.

so it took us longer than it took to walk in to the bothy at the Lairig Grhu, but still an excellent weekend.

quote]

What did ye think of the new lavvie...?

I assume you used it? :rolleyes:

(I have bivvied at Linn of Dee then walked in fae there - never noticed that stuff...)

If you mean the A82, then yes, if it's the A84, then no. I quite like that road. :)

I mean the turn off the A84 way north of Callander - the sign says Balquidder and the Kingshouse hotel is there.

It's around 8 miles of single track road for the pleasure of climbing Stob a' Choin, Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain or even Stob Binnein.

Signs at the farm even point to Beinn a' Chroin and Beinn Chabhair (both better climbed from elsewhere).

I can confidently say that unless a colleague asks me to guide them up any of those hills, I shant be back.

Will need to go up the A84 to Lochearnhead to do a couple of Corbetts soon though.

I mean the turn off the A84 way north of Callander - the sign says Balquidder and the Kingshouse hotel is there.

It's around 8 miles of single track road for the pleasure of climbing Stob a' Choin, Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain or even Stob Binnein.

Signs at the farm even point to Beinn a' Chroin and Beinn Chabhair (both better climbed from elsewhere).

I can confidently say that unless a colleague asks me to guide them up any of those hills, I shant be back.

Will need to go up the A84 to Lochearnhead to do a couple of Corbetts soon though.

Fantastic place this- Inverlochlarig.

I've been here a number of times and almost every time the farmer comes out and tries to sell me venison.

Photo gallery

The munro that we are doing on the 27th is Glas Maol in Glenshee, near Braemar. Any info on this from anyone who has done it in the past?

It's not too bad, one of the easier ones. Like everything else that you climb from the A93 in that area you're pretty high before you start climbing. The summit isn't that exciting as it's pretty flat which restricts the views a bit, but what you might like to do is climb that and if anyone fancies extending the walk, have a group go along the ridge to Creag Leachach and down from there while the rest just head back down. It's probably a nicer peak, and the ridge is quite good but not difficult at all.

Fantastic place this- Inverlochlarig.

I've been here a number of times and almost every time the farmer comes out and tries to sell me venison.

Photo gallery

I agree, I love going there as well. I suppose if you just want to climb some hills to stay fit it maybe isn't ideal being a bit out of the way, but for me the drive along the single track road by the loch is a good part of the day, and indeed the farmer is always friendly.

It's not too bad, one of the easier ones. Like everything else that you climb from the A93 in that area you're pretty high before you start climbing. The summit isn't that exciting as it's pretty flat which restricts the views a bit, but what you might like to do is climb that and if anyone fancies extending the walk, have a group go along the ridge to Creag Leachach and down from there while the rest just head back down. It's probably a nicer peak, and the ridge is quite good but not difficult at all.

Aye, we have the opportunity to do this. I'll see how i feel! :lol:

I agree, I love going there as well. I suppose if you just want to climb some hills to stay fit it maybe isn't ideal being a bit out of the way, but for me the drive along the single track road by the loch is a good part of the day, and indeed the farmer is always friendly.

We camp down by Loch Voil quite reguarly it is a stunning part of the world