Hillwalking Thread

If you keep walking along the path instead of taking the left fork to approach the face we both climbed, just keep on the path as if you were going to do Beinn Ime and the Cobbler path is on the left 'round the back' of the hill. It's mainly a series of stone steps and you can't miss it.

Sounds easier than walking up the stream in any case, thanks for that!

Sounds easier than walking up the stream in any case, thanks for that!

If you are going up that way again, from the point you fork off to take the 'correct' Cobbler path there is another right fork which goes up Beinn Narnain. It's only an hour up and down from that point, and Beinn Ime is only an hour and a half round trip from that point as well.

Did Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime at the weekend (as well as some long distance walking) and both were surprisingly easy.

I also realised there is a proper stone path up The Cobbler from futher up the valley. I just went up the face that you see when approaching from the Succoth carpark over and the 'path' I was climbling was just a stream :lol:

Aye thats the way we did it as well. We came back down the staircase at the back of the hill though. The Hill looks more dramatic going up the stream though. It's an impressive looking summit.

To Ayrshire Ton

You seem a knowledgeable man as far as the old hillwalking goes.

Are there any nice walks around the Ayrshire area that you know of? (Coylton)

That question goes to Reynard too.

If by walks you mean "hills" then there are 4 Corbetts in Ayrshire/Galloway.

The Merrick is probably the most climbed of the four - start at Bruce's Stone on the north side of Loch Trool. Signposts on the lower parts of the path.

Corserine has now (apparently) got more signposts than when I was on it, but is not pathed once the stile in the fence is crossed. On a clear day (and with a map) it should be fairly obvious where you are going.

Cairnsmore of Carsphairn start from the farm just NW of Carpshairn village (park so you don't block the entrance). Follow the path all the way to a wall then follow the wall to the summit. One warning - there is an unbridged burn to cross just beyond the farm.

Shalloch on Minnoch has no path, but the derelict farm has a road leading to it (washed out in one place). It is then a case of follwing a burn to a "burn junction" then following another burn to a point at the edge of the forest. Head straight up to the summit (which is a tiny cairn past the trig point). This one can also bne climbed from Stinchar Bridge area, but I didn't go that way.

Here are some pics from my Ben Lawers day out.

11.jpg

Ben Lawers from Beinn Ghlas.

13.jpg

Meall nan Tarmachan

15.jpg

Beinn Ghlas from Ben Lawers

19.jpg

An Stuc and Meall Garbh from Ben Lawers

20.jpg

Rainbow seen whilst descending Ben Lawers

Here are some pics from my Ben Lawers day out.

11.jpg

Ben Lawers from Beinn Ghlas.

13.jpg

Meall nan Tarmachan

15.jpg

Beinn Ghlas from Ben Lawers

19.jpg

An Stuc and Meall Garbh from Ben Lawers

20.jpg

Rainbow seen whilst descending Ben Lawers

Was up there last weekend. How did you find it? I was bloody wrecked at the end of it. Dinno whether it was just me or whether it was actually hard work. I'm normally ok walking just about anything but it was a lovely sunny day and quite warm. I wonder whether the heat was doing me in? I've never actually done any walking on a nice day before. Its normally firing it down sideways.

Was up there last weekend. How did you find it? I was bloody wrecked at the end of it. Dinno whether it was just me or whether it was actually hard work. I'm normally ok walking just about anything but it was a lovely sunny day and quite warm. I wonder whether the heat was doing me in? I've never actually done any walking on a nice day before. Its normally firing it down sideways.

Here is my report on the day out on the scottishhills website.

Clicky

Here is my report on the day out on the scottishhills website.

Clicky

Cheers.

Its a good days walking. I enjoyed it thoroughly as well.

Ghlas and Lawers were the first hills I ever attempted the weather beat us back the first time. Thigh deep snowdrifts were too much for me.

Did Glas Maol earlier on today for a very charitable cause. Took us an hour and 25 to get 14 of us up there and an hour and 15 to get back down. I found the going up easier though, because i was permanently stopping myself and it shot my knees to f**k, by the time i was down the very steep descent they were shaking all over the place.

Very low cloud made for very limited visibility, so no nice photo's or the like. Still pleased that i have officially completed my first munro! :D

Was away for a bit of camping and hillwalking from Thursday to Saturday - turned out to be a really good couple of days. On Thursday we stopped off to climb Sgor Gaoith on the Western edge of the Cairngorms starting from Glen Feshie. Stayed clear the whole time but was pretty windy, and then one of the most bizarre things I've experienced in the hills - as we got to about 5 metres below the summit, the wind just suddenly dropped. It wouldn't be strange at all if the wind had just generally dropped, but speaking to folk we passed on the way back down, and of course still feeling the very strong wind again after coming off the top, it was clear that it was only at the very top that the wind had dropped. I've never known anything like that before, although of course we weren't complaining as it allowed us to sit eating our pieces without getting cold!

After driving North after that and camping at Gairloch , we climbed Slioch on Friday. Honestly, what a sight it is, viewed from across Loch Maree - a huge tower that suddenly rises up, it's amazing. The walk was fine although it was a bit of a walk in and the same back, and the return probably took slightly longer just because it started to get really hot in the afternoon and it just wasn't sensible to go any faster.

We were thinking of trying to climb something small yesterday on the way back down, but we didn't have much time as we wanted to get to Dunfermline for the football at 3.00, and anyway faither is getting on towards 60 and was pretty much knackered after the two days before and so we just had a wee wander round Loch Morlich near Aviemore.

A great trip though - always nice to get a bit further afield and climb something in an area that is just too far away to get to and back in a day. I got quite a lot of decent photos - might put a few of them up after I get them on the PC at work tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I took a mad notion and drove up to Glen Coe.

Well worth it as I added two more Munros to my tally by climbing Buachaille Etive Beag. The views were absolutely stunning.

Even got a view of Ben Nevis and the Aonach Eagach in all its glory.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to finish my holidays I drove to Fort William on account of the good forecast and climbed Ben Nevis using the "pony path".

I have to say that I feel little sense of achievement - I have felt better on coming off many smaller hills (Ben More, the wee Bookil, Beinn Ime and even Corbetts such as Stob a' Choin).

I guess the route was quite dull, especially higher up when all that can be seen is grey rocks. The path was remnant of Sauchiehall Street on a Saturday, and the summit just as busy.

Another thing is probably the nature of the path - boulders and loose rocks underfoot do not agree with my feet (which get quite sore, but never blisters) and I always feel that my ankles could easy twist or break, even though I use poles. This makes my descents very slow (it took me 3h20m to ascend, 3h30m to decend) and is a little disconcerting to be overtaken on the way down by folk in trainers carrying Lidl bags. <_<

Ho hum - the highest point in the country.

Give me a pathless, grassy, deserted Corbett any day. ;)

Attempted Ben Ledi today.

Stupidly I didn't do much research and never found the summit due to mist and a quagmire climbing up through the Glen.

bled01.jpg

I missed the entrance to this walk and continued on up to where the cabins are and turned left up the hill.

Went through the forrest plantation until it cleared to a horrible barren bit where all the trees had been felled.

Continued on through what was a flattish area with a waterfall and some hills in front of me (could be Stank Glen?)

The engineered path continued up to a style and beyond that was some evil slope covered in mud and water that veered off up to the right then levelled off.

At this point I think I went the wrong way, looking at some guides online they say that you should go up and to the left but I went onto the right towards the waterfall area and followed an old rusty fence for about what seemed like a couple of miles, this wasn't easy due to thick mist - especially over to the left (which is where I reckon Ledi was).

I went over two or three summits and there was two pools of water.

Should I have went left after the muddy slope see uploaded images below?

First one is the top of the muddy slope.

Any help or directions appreciated, will try this again but I hope that it is as simple as following the other path at the start.

1z64iea.jpg

post-7843-1220043049_thumb.jpg

Edited by DAFC

My walking buddy wants me to do Ben Lui with him next Saturday. From what I've read this will be the most challenging I've done so far (done Ben Ledi, Ben Lomond, Ben Newvis, Ben Vorlich *over loch Earn*, Ben Vane, Ben Venue and the Cobbler *though failed to reach the true summit).

Anyone done this one that can tell me what it's like?

Attempted Ben Ledi today.

Stupidly I didn't do much research and never found the summit due to mist and a quagmire climbing up through the Glen.

bled01.jpg

I missed the entrance to this walk and continued on up to where the cabins are and turned left up the hill.

Went through the forrest plantation until it cleared to a horrible barren bit where all the trees had been felled.

Continued on through what was a flattish area with a waterfall and some hills in front of me (could be Stank Glen?)

The engineered path continued up to a style and beyond that was some evil slope covered in mud and water that veered off up to the right then levelled off.

At this point I think I went the wrong way, looking at some guides online they say that you should go up and to the left but I went onto the right towards the waterfall area and followed an old rusty fence for about what seemed like a couple of miles, this wasn't easy due to thick mist - especially over to the left (which is where I reckon Ledi was).

I went over two or three summits and there was two pools of water.

Should I have went left after the muddy slope see uploaded images below?

First one is the top of the muddy slope.

Any help or directions appreciated, will try this again but I hope that it is as simple as following the other path at the start.

1z64iea.jpg

The top photo is the bridge you drive over to get to the car park bit on the left. We walked from there basically straight up through the trees following a fairly obvious path right up to the summit. We sort of bore left most of the way up. We came back off the hill the opposite way and ended up walking past the log cabin things. We lost the path coming back down actually :lol: