Hillwalking Thread

6 hours ago, Swello said:

That's an impressively obscure bit of the country - were you out for a remote stroll? :)

Fishing, which often involves a fair bit of hill walking in remote places.

Edited by Loonytoons

22 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Fishing, which often involves a fair bit of hill walking in remote places.

I like that I meet hillwalking photographers, hillwalking fisherman and hillwalking bird watchers - where the getting there (not ticking off hills) is part of the fun.

11 hours ago, bennett said:

This is a difficult one. I know the bridge and have used it in the past and the path does go right past the houses - and so in the law, they have a right to restrict it. My normal instinct would be to want the bridge re-opened but I think the "right to privacy" part of the access law is important as it took away one of the landowners main objections when it was being passed originally - and without giving reasonable privacy in someone's actual back garden, I don't think the current law would work.

On the other side, I think landowners are getting more savvy about how to restrict access and it's pretty clear that some are slowly winding things back where they can (see also Network Rail) because they know that councils are overstretched and rarely police/enforce access disputes properly.

On the Glen Affric case - they could easily do what many estates have done even before the access laws came in by building and signposting a short access path that routes away from the houses and maintains privacy but the willingness has got to be there.

On 04/07/2023 at 16:56, Swello said:

I like that I meet hillwalking photographers, hillwalking fisherman and hillwalking bird watchers - where the getting there (not ticking off hills) is part of the fun.

The walk and ascent through Glen Taitnech up to Loch nan Eun is a cracking ramble and definitely part of the fun.

Tough graft on the ascent but the burn that comes out of the loch is stunning, especially when the sun is out and the bedrock just shines.  A couple of waterfalls too and the second one is a clamber up, then the loch is right there at eye level.  

I've done the walk round the other side and bagged Tullichen, not nearly as good a walk but the view looking west on a clear day is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66347917

Don't get me wrong - If I was 80 I'd rather snuff it on the Cuillin than in my bed - but what a place for someone of that age to be. Don't know whether to be impressed or horrified TBH.

The report isn't clear as the summit of Am  Bastier, not the coire is the height that they mention. If he was on the traverse round to the summit of Am Bastier - a slip there would definitely be fatal, although the climb out of the coire itself to the ridge isn't exposed.

It's about 7 miles and a chunk of that through bog, which given weather last wee while will be as boggy as it can be.

You can go back over Bràigh Coire Chruinn Bhalgain and take the path from the next bealach down Allt Coire na Saobhaidh.

Depends if you would rather do two miles of bogs or 200m of climbing.

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Anyone on here done the Beinn A Ghlo hills at Blair Atholl? Weathers looking not bad for Saturday last I checked. Everything I’ve read stresses how long the walk back out from the 3rd summit is, is it as bad as those on Walkhighlands make it out to be? 

First, check that the access road is re-opened, I seem to remember it was completely closed for repair/resurfacing.

I did that walk early on in my round in deep snow and the walk out was the only time I've ever had the dreaded Bonk. I just ran out of energy *completely* and ended up having to sit down on the track and it took some of those horrible dextrose tablets that my mate had to re-inflate me and allow me to make it back to the car so I've not got great memories of that part of it :) (and I've now got a 15 year old pack of dextrose in my first aid kit as a result)

On 29/07/2023 at 11:40, Swello said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66347917

Don't get me wrong - If I was 80 I'd rather snuff it on the Cuillin than in my bed - but what a place for someone of that age to be. Don't know whether to be impressed or horrified TBH.

The report isn't clear as the summit of Am  Bastier, not the coire is the height that they mention. If he was on the traverse round to the summit of Am Bastier - a slip there would definitely be fatal, although the climb out of the coire itself to the ridge isn't exposed.

My own shit myself moment there was having downclimbed the bad step my guard was down whilst waiting for the rest of the party to come down and I took a backwards step whilst looking up and slid down about 5m of loose shite on the North side which could have turned into a tumble.

57 minutes ago, Swello said:

First, check that the access road is re-opened, I seem to remember it was completely closed for repair/resurfacing.

I did that walk early on in my round in deep snow and the walk out was the only time I've ever had the dreaded Bonk. I just ran out of energy *completely* and ended up having to sit down on the track and it took some of those horrible dextrose tablets that my mate had to re-inflate me and allow me to make it back to the car so I've not got great memories of that part of it :) (and I've now got a 15 year old pack of dextrose in my first aid kit as a result)

Cheers, just checked and it reopened back in May, appreciate the heads up! 

Closest I’ve been to that was coming through the bogs after Beinn A’Chroin, felt like I was walking through treacle and my mate had some of those tablets too and they got us back to the car eventually :lol:

On 01/08/2023 at 11:43, invergowrie arab said:

It's about 7 miles and a chunk of that through bog, which given weather last wee while will be as boggy as it can be.

You can go back over Bràigh Coire Chruinn Bhalgain and take the path from the next bealach down Allt Coire na Saobhaidh.

Depends if you would rather do two miles of bogs or 200m of climbing.

I totally missed this and only seen Swello’s post and wish I had seen this now, the bog was brutal but I had a podcast on and head down and powered through. 

Was dry the whole morning til I got to the summit of Càrn nan Gabhar, took the obligatory selfie at the summit and then stuck the jacket on and rained the whole way back to the car. Was 4 hours to do all the summits and 3 hours purely slogging back to the car. Think my boots will take a week to dry out :lol:

A0DFF8A4-BB57-441A-8E2D-201BCFC0373A.thumb.jpeg.92c16d621c062f2aeec9d22569c8b462.jpeg

1D298EEE-0165-476C-A088-1773DE1282A2.thumb.jpeg.5dde0a7bc975ee32dd0a72fa1f5302af.jpeg