Hillwalking Thread

25 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Tragic news reported today from Glencoe 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66427686.amp

Really sorry to hear this and brings into focus just how dangerous mountains can be even in summer 

Horrible - I wonder how 3 people died in one incident as that is really unusual outside of avalanche season.  Roped-up maybe?

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

Horrible - I wonder how 3 people died in one incident as that is really unusual outside of avalanche season.  Roped-up maybe?

That's my assumption.  Going by the FB groups, one of the men was a very experienced guide from a well known Mountain Guide Company, so that's a possibility.

Tragic, and just shows that sometimes it really can be down to luck, as there will be numerous novices who will breeze routes such as AE ridge, but will cause incidents for even the most experienced walkers.

I've not done AE yet, and this incident puts things into persepctive and will probably push any attempt back even further.

Was up north last week and headed to Loch Cluanie to do my first Munros in nearly a year - Carn Ghluasaid and Sgurr nan Conbhairean.

Cloud was fairly rolling over the tops and I had hoped to add Sail Chaorainn, but my feet were not having it. On my descent I chose to add in a top I'd passed on the way up.

8.LochCluanie.thumb.JPG.9de5c3ccb706fa712c8fbf4797ab2dac.JPG

124.Lookingdowntothebealach.thumb.JPG.001205e57fde4d5379e70364bc7bd9eb.JPG

126.LookingbackupSgurrnanConbhairean.thumb.JPG.7299efa16da6187a5bfdb24cb29892dc.JPG

133.SgurrnanConbhaireanSailChaorainn.thumb.JPG.e4a152e7b52e444c422049606a16017b.JPG

135.CarnGhluasaid.thumb.JPG.df88571478f7a62d8c6e0d999fb9ac3a.JPG

9 hours ago, Coldo said:

Tragic, and just shows that sometimes it really can be down to luck, as there will be numerous novices who will breeze routes such as AE ridge, but will cause incidents for even the most experienced walkers.

I think sometimes novices/tourists get into trouble simply as they see other folk moving around narrow ridges in a way that they aren't yet capable of and do it anyway. The AE isn't really technically difficult at all but is a "head for heights" game (and a fitness one as it's quite a long day) - and I think the low number of fatalities there backs that up (It's probably no worse than the Bidean or the Buachaille in fact). I think I'm right in saying that it was the Clachaig Gully (the old way off to the Clachaig Inn) that claimed way more lives than the ridge itself.

When I did the ridge on Crib Goch in Wales earlier in the year - I was genuinely nervous watching folk that were clearly novices/tourists moving about on it and climbing onto horribly exposed bits for selfies, etc. It does seem to have a fairly long fatality/accident list but maybe even that isn't bad relative to the numbers that it sees. 

Agree with what most others are saying, AE isn't actually as bad as any of the descriptions I had read prior to going made it out to be. Also found it to be over and done with a lot quicker than expected. Perhaps the descriptions over egging it are a good thing to deter people though.

Worst part of the whole thing being the descent down the scree path towards the Pap of Glencoe but that's probably just me and my hatred for skree.

Loosely on topic, I've got half an eye on each of the Curved Ridge up Bauchaille Etive Mor and The Ledge Route up Ben Nevis. Anyone have any experience with those? Easy enough?

A stunning three days in Fisherfield although the blood price paid in midge bites was severe.

Have always been looking at options to avoid Shenavall as I'm never doing a 12-18 hour walk and didn't fancy swimming to the bothy.

Parked at Poolewe and got bus to Kinlochewe (don't worry if you miss it there will be another in 3 days).

First day was up Slioch and the onto Loch Fada to camp. Slioch is stunning its own right but in amongst so many stunning walks maybe gets overlooked. Drop it near Plockton or in Assynt and its a top 10 hill day. Day only slightly spoiled by path to Loch Fada climbing 200m for no good reason.

Day 2 plan was up to bealach between Tarsuinn and Mhic Fhearachair over to Càrn Bàn and then back for a summit camp on A' Mhaighdean. However, having underestimated how much walking with full camping gear takes out of you and forecast of high winds and thunderstorms (neither appeared) we opted to bin the Eastern two and push on to Carnmore for the night. 

In hindsight the right call and I'm more than happy to come back to pick up the others. Might come by Loch a' Bhraoin.

The grind up a' Mhaighdean with a 12k pack was brutal but the views more than  made up for it.

Ruadh Stac Mòr was a quick up and down and then out to Carnmore which is every bit as horrible as every one says and more midges in than out but nice to cook dinner and repack bags without falling over each other in tent.

Day 3 a casual 11 mile walk out to Poolewe through some stunning scenery.

The pints at Poolewe Hotel were so good I almost didn't mind they were 6 quid a pop.

20230810_143513.jpg

20230810_065836.jpg

20230811_101454.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of fat unfit lumps - After a July and August of doing not much other than drinking large amounts of Belgian beer,  I headed out for an easy walk in the Eastern Cairngorms on Sunday to get back into things. 

Even though it's a 25km walk - Culardoch and Creag an Dail Bheag must be two of the easiest hills in the entire Cairngorms to reach as you walk along estate motorways for 90% of the time  (the Fife Arms Range Rover with normal road tyres actually drove past me at about 700m up).

Main upside was that there was nice forest to walk through and the place was in a pretty nice state as it's august and the heather remains un-muirburned at this point. Quite enjoyed my day.

81db91a213458db47ef57e10a16003cd

93ee3e82c55a384bb59b9ed36d8833b5

4e6a81ed4995af2d525615f6bee50440

a8f8ea92a063b424efb7c3dc771b1513

Edited by Swello

Headed for Buachaille Etive Mòr this morning as I’d never walked in Glencoe before and it didn’t disappoint. The corrie to begin with felt like it’d never end and the sweat was lashing off me. The sun didn’t come out as early as was forecast but weather was good all the same. 

Ended up walking most of the route with a random couple who are onto their 2nd round, was really nice and they gave me some good recommendations for some hills. Was round in 5.5 hours or so. 

Probably one of my favourites so far 
F0F91290-A296-4D96-B8C3-BE43AFC54CE7.thumb.jpeg.012d34732c4dbc8af07a7216d2b68f55.jpeg

475FA70A-096C-4323-BB77-25D8ED9FA534.thumb.jpeg.8e5162d5a15f6df6f7091eb18965bdf6.jpeg

64AC6EE7-A816-4022-B673-A9CDC727FA46.thumb.jpeg.6ff772f42b8ba056892f7261bae198bf.jpeg

Climbed the 4 peaks of Buachaille Etive Mor this morning (2 Munros),  by far the hardest climb I’ve ever tackled but by far the most enjoyable day out I’ve had on the hills. 4D5D7FC3-FF4E-4383-990E-088D2E9E45CB.thumb.jpeg.ec7751818471b9139bd77fe1d98d2a86.jpeg

Pulled into the lay-by at 6.20am as the sun peeped its head over the Rannoch Moor, draping the mountains of Glencoe in a deep red which was amazing to see. The path up the bealach, which you can see scarred onto the mountain in that picture above, was genuinely torturous. I thought I was quite a fit guy before I headed up there today, but after 90 minutes of steep ascent  over loose scree and boulders, where every step felt like it was about to induce cramp and a glance at the Garmin showed my heart rate consistently in the 190’s, I realised I have a long way to go. 

88C35A33-6903-466A-BE74-552623F1ECBF.thumb.jpeg.ff77c1f62d069fa98897519d0708aeb9.jpeg

I know I probably sound like a little girl to some of the more experienced mountaineers on here but I genuinely wasn’t prepared for how hard that was going to be today. Even the descents required proper concentration, and I lost count of the amount of times I almost sprained my ankle on the way down. Even on the walk back along the A82, I took a misstep on the grass and nearly snapped my groin. A real eye opener for me with regards to the fitness required for some of these hills. Genuinely thought we would be up and down today in 5 hours, and we had a chuckle at the Walkhighlands page that said 7-9 hours in summer conditions. 8 hours later we got back to the car, scared to bend our legs in case they cramped up, and both completely drained mentally and physically. With my current fitness I would sooner run a marathon than complete that route again, the return from Stob Na Broige to the path that descends back down to the car park was never ending, and it felt cruel for us to be able to see the car from there, knowing that there was at least 2 hours between us and the drive home. 

A day I will remember for a long time, a proper sense of accomplishment today.C0D83C8E-8BF3-482C-852F-94B2BA227E7C.thumb.jpeg.51a2c3a96a96ba6d1f779c8c041a1135.jpeg

Edited by IrishBhoy

4 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Headed for Buachaille Etive Mòr this morning as I’d never walked in Glencoe before and it didn’t disappoint. The corrie to begin with felt like it’d never end and the sweat was lashing off me. The sun didn’t come out as early as was forecast but weather was good all the same. 

Ended up walking most of the route with a random couple who are onto their 2nd round, was really nice and they gave me some good recommendations for some hills. Was round in 5.5 hours or so. 

Probably one of my favourites so far 
F0F91290-A296-4D96-B8C3-BE43AFC54CE7.thumb.jpeg.012d34732c4dbc8af07a7216d2b68f55.jpeg

475FA70A-096C-4323-BB77-25D8ED9FA534.thumb.jpeg.8e5162d5a15f6df6f7091eb18965bdf6.jpeg

64AC6EE7-A816-4022-B673-A9CDC727FA46.thumb.jpeg.6ff772f42b8ba056892f7261bae198bf.jpeg

Never even seen this before I posted, you couldn’t have been far away from me today. We set off at 6.20 and got back to the car just after 2pm. What a place it is, did you see the stags just below the summit of Stob Dearg? That view over the Rannoch Moor with the sun splintering through the clouds was almost the exact same as what we saw so you couldn’t have been far away. 

You weren’t the guy with the red t-shirt walking with the blonde haired couple were you? Because if you were you were absolutely flying, you passed us on the way up the second peak if your the same guy? 

Edited by IrishBhoy

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Never even seen this before I posted, you couldn’t have been far away from me today. We set off at 6.20 and got back to the car just after 2pm. What a place it is, did you see the stags just below the summit of Stob Dearg? That view over the Rannoch Moor with the sun splintering through the clouds was almost the exact same as what we saw so you couldn’t have been far away. 

You weren’t the guy with the red t-shirt walking with the blonde haired couple were you? Because if you were you were absolutely flying, you passed us on the way up the second peak if your the same guy? 

That was me! :lol: I met the woman on the way up Stob Dearg through the Corrie as her man had went up an alternate route and we got chatting and I kept in with them all day. Didn’t see any stags unfortunately! 

They were very fast and I don’t think I’d have walked that quickly if I had been going on my own :lol: Were you part of the 3 guys and your mate (or you) was getting a photo on the wee ledge below the munro top? I can’t remember passing anyone else off the top of my head but you might jog my memory! 

Totally agree about the descents up there, not straightforward and you need full concentration. The Rocky bits after coming off Stob Na Broige to the path would be treacherous even if it was slightly wet 

Off work on holiday this week and seen the weather forecast for today was blue skies and sunshine I headed for Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh, had these on my to do list for a while (totally not because the dam was used in filming Andor). 

The climb started straight from the car park and was treated to a cracking view over Loch Awe

7CB72045-A5DD-4495-8D20-4EF983EF2374.thumb.jpeg.54a70e3ce7f5a7e459708e3dd6348280.jpeg

Broke out of the trees and got my first sight of the Dam

33C5937E-98A6-416D-B882-39CAFD693B66.thumb.jpeg.d10491a125e5301ffe807345113a240c.jpeg

The climb upto Cruachan felt like it was never ending but I was treated to some absolutely stunning views when I got there. Could see for miles in all directions. 
2B3FDE95-BD3B-4922-BF0D-263D49DFD3F0.thumb.jpeg.91785aa434ef86734fda50f13077d5f0.jpeg

A few sketchy bits on the ridge over to Stob Daimh (Diamh?) required full concentration but safely over to the next summit. And looking back at Cruachan was a treat

AEBB7A24-0C37-4549-9D43-C2D4B148B76E.thumb.jpeg.c993242f9cd6573d7bd7d97502453202.jpeg

Slightly tougher day than I expected and the descent after coming off the top Stob Garbh was brutal, few boggy patches and had to deduce a bypass route. Went through close to 3 litres of water/juice due to the heat. Barely seen anyone due to it being midweek, not sure how popular these 2 are at the weekend but would highly recommend on a clear day. 

On 03/09/2023 at 07:02, Central Belt Caley said:

That was me! :lol: I met the woman on the way up Stob Dearg through the Corrie as her man had went up an alternate route and we got chatting and I kept in with them all day. Didn’t see any stags unfortunately! 

They were very fast and I don’t think I’d have walked that quickly if I had been going on my own :lol: Were you part of the 3 guys and your mate (or you) was getting a photo on the wee ledge below the munro top? I can’t remember passing anyone else off the top of my head but you might jog my memory! 

Totally agree about the descents up there, not straightforward and you need full concentration. The Rocky bits after coming off Stob Na Broige to the path would be treacherous even if it was slightly wet 

Yes mate that was us. That downhill section heading back towards the car was the dodgiest I’ve encountered so far, even in the dry. I’m usually fine going back down but I had about 3 near misses nearly going over on my ankle and once where I slipped and just managed to stop myself snapping my groin. Wouldn’t even attempt that route in winter conditions. 

We were talking to the blonde guy at the top of the first Munro he seemed to know his stuff, looked fit as a fiddle as well you done well to keep pace with them.