Hillwalking Thread

Nevis was my first munro, by the tourist path. Because i was new to it all, I thought it was amazing. I've since been back twice, once adding it to the Aonach and CMD and then up by Coire Giubhsachan. The latter both get onto CMD via it's east ridge which is absolutely superb. 

Anyways, on holiday now and on the countdown to Skye for 3 nights camping, then a week in Dornie. Anxiously watching the forecast 😂

Cheated my way round Strathfarrar this weekend by climbing 3 on the Saturday and returning for Sgùrr Fhuar-Thuill on the Sunday.

I might have made the gate next month with the extra hour but made decision to do it over two relaxed days. Much better option IMO as Strathfarrar is well worth a second visit and taking your time over.

20230506_142243.jpg

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yeah. From Sgùrr a' Choire Ghlais 

So if I've got my bearings - the scalloped ridge in the centre of the background is the one coming from Meall Mor, the remote Top of Lurg Mor - that's a wee target of mine for this summer all going well, so it's interesting to see that.

• 2 weeks later...

Some day up Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers on Friday.

To say I was a sweaty mess on my return to the car would be a huge understatement.

Anyway, two more munros in the bag.

14.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

Munros so far:

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Ben Nevis

Ben Lomond

Ben Ghlas

Ben Lawers

Looking to do an easy one some time in June.  Anyone got any recommendations?

12 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Some day up Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers on Friday.

To say I was a sweaty mess on my return to the car would be a huge understatement.

Anyway, two more munros in the bag.

14.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

Munros so far:

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Ben Nevis

Ben Lomond

Ben Ghlas

Ben Lawers

Looking to do an easy one some time in June.  Anyone got any recommendations?

If you like that area  in particular - Ben Vane (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/ben-vane.shtml) is a nice wee standalone one with no navigational issues in summer.

If you want to go further afield than the SW Highlands - happy to give some recommendations also. 

25 minutes ago, Swello said:

If you like that area  in particular - Ben Vane (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/ben-vane.shtml) is a nice wee standalone one with no navigational issues in summer.

If you want to go further afield than the SW Highlands - happy to give some recommendations also. 

Thankyou mate; Ben Vane sounds ideal :)

Apologies, steamrolling in a bit without reading too much, but can anyone recommend somewhere I could bag a couple of munros close to Dundee-ish? I've done most of the ones near Angus ; so was thinking maybe somewhere around Perth-ish area? I've done Meall nan Tarmaichean a wee while ago ; but hoping to bag a couple more before I depart bonnie Scotia on Wednesday.

Also, somewhere with easy-ish parking - I read something about Ben Lawers hotel charging you? Or if you do a few, someplace where the car wouldn't be too far away from to walk back to.

Cheers!

Edited by Kejan

16 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Apologies, steamrolling in a bit without reading too much, but can anyone recommend somewhere I could bag a couple of munros close to Dundee-ish? I've done most of the ones near Angus ; so was thinking maybe somewhere around Perth-ish area? I've done Meall nan Tarmaichean a wee while ago ; but hoping to bag a couple more before I depart bonnie Scotia on Wednesday.

Also, somewhere with easy-ish parking - I read something about Ben Lawers hotel charging you? Or if you do a few, someplace where the car wouldn't be too far away from to walk back to.

Cheers!

Schiehallion would be handy enough and it's easy to park. Ben Chonzie is also close and lot of people climb it (wasn't a favourite of mine). Ben Lawers from the main car park is free as far as I'm aware - Lawers hotel is only if you're starting at Lawers village and doing a bigger circuit.

Any recommendations for a camping mat (any kind) that is both compact and reliably comfortable? 

I thought I was on to a winner with a ludicrously lightweight and deep Trekology inflatable mat, but it has clearly developed a slow puncture of some form (not that slow - it fucking deflates every hour). 

8 hours ago, virginton said:

Any recommendations for a camping mat (any kind) that is both compact and reliably comfortable? 

I thought I was on to a winner with a ludicrously lightweight and deep Trekology inflatable mat, but it has clearly developed a slow puncture of some form (not that slow - it fucking deflates every hour). 

Sleeping mats are something I've never been 100% happy with over the years - I found the Thermarest neoair ones too "crinkly" even though they were light and comfortable - so i never got a great sleep on them. I would recommend you look at Exped - their mats are excellent in my experience (and my winter mat is an exped down filled one). My only complaint was that as a side-sleeper, they are less comfortable than if you sleep on your back.

In the last couple of years, I've finally cracked it with the Sea to Summit Etherlight XT - unbelievably comfortable for something that weighs bugger all. It's expensive though as anything that's light and good is - but it feels robust to me.

Don't suppose any one knows the condition of the highlighted old military road over Black Mount.  Was thinking about walking it and avoiding the crowds on the WHW.

It looks quite indistinct from the satellite maps and I don't want a to walk through a boggy hell.

map 1.jpeg

On 25/05/2023 at 16:21, Kejan said:

Cheers!

There is a car park for Ben Lawers where you can no Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas and you can push on to Meall a' Choire Liath and Meall Corranaich if you are feeling fit. You only need to park at Lawers Hotel if you are doing the Eastern 3 and even then its only a fiver.

Within 90 mins of Dundee you have everything from Glenshee to Dalwhinnie to Crianlarich. Probably around 50 munros.

On 27/05/2023 at 14:33, virginton said:

Have been using my Vango Trek Pro for years with no issues. Its not super light but is compact and for 30 quid has been bomb proof so far and self inflates in a couple of minutes.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't suppose any one knows the condition of the highlighted old military road over Black Mount.  Was thinking about walking it and avoiding the crowds on the WHW.

It looks quite indistinct from the satellite maps and I don't want a to walk through a boggy hell.

map 1.jpeg

From memory, it's hardly there at all (but you can usually follow the line of these overgrown military roads easily enough if that's your thing) - it probably won't that boggy at present but it would be a rough walk that would probably add an hour to ninety minutes onto your day. Telford's road that the WHW uses over to Ba Bridge superseded it a long way back (early 1800's), so that section of Caulfield's road wasn't preserved in the way that the section from the Kingshouse over the devil's staircase, etc was for example. 

2 hours ago, Swello said:

From memory, it's hardly there at all (but you can usually follow the line of these overgrown military roads easily enough if that's your thing) - it probably won't that boggy at present but it would be a rough walk that would probably add an hour to ninety minutes onto your day. Telford's road that the WHW uses over to Ba Bridge superseded it a long way back (early 1800's), so that section of Caulfield's road wasn't preserved in the way that the section from the Kingshouse over the devil's staircase, etc was for example. 

Yes, I have experience of these Rannoch area map paths that are 'hardly there at all'.  Hence me asking about this one.  🤣

I don't mind rough stuff but I like to know what I'm getting into and maybe this is one for less hot weather.  Think I might walk this one later as a circuit from Bridge of Orchy rather than going all the way to Kinlochleven.

On 27/05/2023 at 14:33, virginton said:

At present I own 3.

Alpkit Cloud Base - cheap(ish), packs down very small, and pretty comfy. No insulation though.

Nemo Tensor Insulated - pricey, but pretty comfy, warm, and packs down almost as small as the Alpkit. Love this one.

Robens Iceshield 55 - kind of a midway between the other two and my preferred option until I bought the Nemo. Decent insulation and pretty comfy. Bit bulkier packed than the other two, but not too pricey (less than £100).

• 2 weeks later...