Hillwalking Thread

Thinking of doing more hillwalking again, haven't done much since we did Coast to Coast many years ago!

Any advice on decent boots around the 50 - 75 quid bracket, or is that flase economy? I spent much more than that for the C to C but they're a bit snug these days.......;)

Did Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich on Monday. 15 miles, two Munros and bergan rash at the bottom of my back. Not to mention what some fanny had left lying in the hills. :angry:

206148_256367947805972_1095905757_n.jpg

On the plus side you composed that photo really well. It should be used in tourist brochures.

Thinking of doing more hillwalking again, haven't done much since we did Coast to Coast many years ago!

Any advice on decent boots around the 50 - 75 quid bracket, or is that flase economy? I spent much more than that for the C to C but they're a bit snug these days.......;)

Just make sure they fit you properly. I've had expensive ones and cheaper ones and I couldn't have told you the difference really. I have a pair of cheapo ones that I've had for about four years and they will last a while longer yet by the look of it. They are better at stopping water coming in than some of the more expensive ones I've had too.Some of the guys I walk with spent a lot of money on boots and they never seem all that happy with them.

Aimed to get started yesterday by nipping up to Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn one). Lovely day having a good time, quite a few folk around and a bit of snow underfoot (crampons not needed). Got to 100m (height) from top with the Ordnance Survey trig point in sight and had to turn back. Weather had said there would be 80mph gusts and wasn't till you were near the top that you became exposed to it. Got blown 2m sideways and with a steep fall up ahead if the same thing happened, just wasn't worth the risk. Gutted.

Going to go back in April and do Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin behind it and come back down Ben Our.

I'll be back Ben. You ain't heard the last of this.

And I was. Dealt with Vorlich last month. Was a bit tougher going than I recalled - enjoyable but the main advantage is accessibility from the central belt. Not the greatest pic but I think the thread is lacking pics.

post-20182-0-56433100-1346186860_thumb.j

It did give me one last F-U though - I'd forgot my waterproof jacket and it started pissing down halfway up. Was soaked but just ploughed on - probably a tad foolish but Vorlich's a fairly non-intimidating climb so just thought to hell with it.

Fantastic jaunt up Ben Hope over the weekend. Easily made out Orkney & the soon to be destroyed golf ball at Dounrey.

Even made out a very distant view of the western isles. Marvelous viewpoint.

Your words inspire me. Looks fantastic the way it sits on its own and the view you describe sounds jaw-dropping. E-mailed my mate and plan to get there towards the end of the month. 5 or 6 hour drive for me though - did you stay in a hostel the night before?

Edited by oht

Your words inspire me. Looks fantastic the way it sits on its own and the view you describe sounds jaw-dropping. E-mailed my mate and plan to get there towards the end of the month. 5 or 6 hour drive for me though - did you stay in a hostel the night before?

I actually camped at Durness the weather was so good. There is a decent hostel there also, called the Lazy Crofter IIRC.

Epic day in the Fannich range in Ross-Shire yesterday. Over 7 hours across 4 hills including Sgurr Mor, the highest mountain in Ross-Shire. Long-reaching views, including both coasts, the Outer Hebrides, Inverness and a distant Ben Nevis. Did a traverse route so ended up on the road miles from where I started, but hitched back easily enough.

The pints of cider in Ullapool went down a treat afterwards!

Good way to end a couple of weeks off.

Edited by Desert Nomad

Ben Lui - a beast of a walk before you even get to the base of it but when you're three quarters of the way up and you see the crashed WW2 plane with the original paintwork still intact it's something else. The views from the summit are fantastic too on a clear day

Ben Lui - a beast of a walk before you even get to the base of it but when you're three quarters of the way up and you see the crashed WW2 plane with the original paintwork still intact it's something else. The views from the summit are fantastic too on a clear day

The walk up along the Cononish is great on the way up. It's fucking horrible when you just want to get back to the car and go for a pint. The path never seems to end when you're knackered!

Hoping to get up Ben More on Mull, has anyone been?

My personal fave so far would be Meall nan Tarmachan

The ptarmigan ridge is an absolute belter in good winter conditions. One I'd do again and again in the snow.

As for favourites, the Rum Cuillin traverse is my personal choice, although almost anything on the western seaboard is worth a mention.

Not been up any of the Mull hills yet, definitely a must do!

Edited by Desert Nomad

Not walking as such, but I'm looking at doing a beginners course in ice climbing in February. Do any P&Bers do a bit of climbing? I enjoy hillwalking, and done abit of winter walking, but no climbing as such. Does anyone have any companies they would recommend, as I'm looking at booking through Martin Moran of Moran Mountains

Climbed Suilven last week, and I don't care that it's not a Munro, it was the best hillwalk I've done. It's a mountain in the middle of a twelve-mile hike as there are no roads nearby. My daughter and I decided to mountain bike in on the stalker's path but we spent more time pushing them up slopes and kept on hitting rocks on the downward sections. It was marginal whether we gained anything but it added interest. The bikes have to be abandoned after about four miles for a slog over rising boggy ground before the real climb starts. It's steep getting up to the bealach (ridge) but it's the mother of all views when you hoist yourself up onto it and look over towards Stac Polaidh (which we did the next day for the reciprocal view). Of course there's the usual false summits before the top but what a vista. Then it's a six-mile return trip. The only thing which spoiled it was seeing a guy running up to the summit then along to the other end. It seems he had run up Canisp before Suilven. Nutter! Made me feel pathetic.

The countryside was simply stunning and Suilven itself changes shape as you approach it as it isn't a direct line to the ascent. Camping at Achmelvich beach and eating/drinking at the Caberfeidh in Lochinver topped it all off.

Can anyone tell me why there is a wall across the back of Suilven? It serves no purpose.

Climbed Suilven last week, and I don't care that it's not a Munro, it was the best hillwalk I've done. It's a mountain in the middle of a twelve-mile hike as there are no roads nearby. My daughter and I decided to mountain bike in on the stalker's path but we spent more time pushing them up slopes and kept on hitting rocks on the downward sections. It was marginal whether we gained anything but it added interest. The bikes have to be abandoned after about four miles for a slog over rising boggy ground before the real climb starts. It's steep getting up to the bealach (ridge) but it's the mother of all views when you hoist yourself up onto it and look over towards Stac Polaidh (which we did the next day for the reciprocal view). Of course there's the usual false summits before the top but what a vista. Then it's a six-mile return trip. The only thing which spoiled it was seeing a guy running up to the summit then along to the other end. It seems he had run up Canisp before Suilven. Nutter! Made me feel pathetic.

The countryside was simply stunning and Suilven itself changes shape as you approach it as it isn't a direct line to the ascent. Camping at Achmelvich beach and eating/drinking at the Caberfeidh in Lochinver topped it all off.

Can anyone tell me why there is a wall across the back of Suilven? It serves no purpose.

Ha I passed by it last week as well! I`d been up Durness/Cape Wrath & climbed Ben Hope & walked to Sandwood Bay.

Came further south for two nights to spend in Assynt, one at the new Mission bunkhouse in Lochinver & the other camping at Achmelvich. Plan was to go up Quinag, but gale-force winds put me off, so went up the path to Suilven from the Inverkirkaig side & up to Fionn Loch. Met a girl who`d traversed over from the Glen Canisp side & said she could barely stand up! I`ve done Suilven a few times in the past, first time as young as 8 years old!!!

The wall is one of the great mysteries of Scottish mountains, hardly seems worth having a wall to prevent sheep from straying near cliffs, as there are cliffs on both sides. My folks have spent many years holidaying in Assynt, and they`ve yet to hear a proper explanation.

Not that it bothers me at all, but just noticed there are now only 282 Munro`s, that`s one less for all you baggers. Will the Fisherfield 6 now become the Fisherfield 5? unsure.gif

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/beinn-achlaidheimh-demotion-sees-munro-list-down-to-282/007541/

It makes the whole Munro/Corbett thing such a bloody nonsense for me. Will baggers now circumvent this hill as it`s not on the list? Pathetic. Anybody who goes to that area & doesn`t climb Beinn Dearg Mhor, a Corbett is mad IMO, one of the finest hills in Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing the inca trail in February and looking to do a bit of walking/hiking before it.

Me and my fiancee are both fit (half marathon runners) and are looking for a hike to do tomorrow. Within around an hour of Glasgow would be ideal. Not Ben Lomond as it is the only Munro we have done before.

Anyone any suggestions?

Cheers

Doing the inca trail in February and looking to do a bit of walking/hiking before it.

Me and my fiancee are both fit (half marathon runners) and are looking for a hike to do tomorrow. Within around an hour of Glasgow would be ideal. Not Ben Lomond as it is the only Munro we have done before.

Anyone any suggestions?

Cheers

A bit late with the reply but anywhere in the Trossachs would be decent, Ben Ledi for instance.

Not done hillwalking before but just walked the West Highland Way for charity last week.

In the decent weather I loved it and quite fancy doing more, however, strolling across Rannoch Moor and climbing the Devils Staircase in snow, sleet and gale force winds on Tuesday was not much fun to put it mildly.

Will hopefuly manage a few more weekends out this year.

In the decent weather I loved it and quite fancy doing more, however, strolling across Rannoch Moor and climbing the Devils Staircase in snow, sleet and gale force winds on Tuesday was not much fun to put it mildly.

I've worked on rannoch moor 4 times in the last few years, when it's sunny it's beautiful but when the weather turns it quickly becomes dreadful. The worst weather I've seen has been up on the moor and I'm glad I don't have to go out on it anytime soon :)