Hillwalking Thread

When I did Ben Lui, I combined it with Beinn a' Chleibh, which at 700ft lower and ascended to from the bealach between the two peaks felt really easy compared to Ben Lui.

Went over the river on the A85 up to north west side of Ben Lui then descended to the bealach and up Beinn a' Chleibh. Looking back on it, doing Ben Lui on its own I would probably head for that bealach again and turn left.

Those who did Ben Lui from the small car park on the A85, did you walk down the road to the bridge or ford the river?

That's the same route we used for them both.

We walked away up the river, took ages, and felt like twice as long coming back!

Edit, I misremembered. We crossed at the railway bridge, and followed the burn up through the trees. Took ages before we emerged and started climbing. A fantastic day out.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

Central Gully on Ben Lui is a very popular ice climb. Not my cup of tea though :lol:

Me and a couple of mates did the 4 hills in that area with two cars, leaving one at Dalrigh and started from Glen Lochy car park at the other end. We forded the river, crossed the railway line *allegedly* via means other than the underpass, and went up through the woods. Like 90% of other walkers going that way, we missed the marker cairn and ended up cursing and swearing our way up until the forest spat us out at the top end. Beinn a'Chleib was a piece of piss, Lui was brutal, the drop then re-ascent of Oss took ages and Dubhcraig was quite pleasant.

We were lucky on the way out as there had been a dry spell and the boggy forest wasn't too bad, and the dodgy river crossing was fine.

IIRC we did Cruachan and Stob Diamh the day after, which was fucking brilliant.

I finally got a diagnosis on my long-running knee injury saga, which is a tear in my interior meniscus or something. I therefore celebrated the news by doing the three Creag Meagaidh hills, before coming home and demolishing a Madras and a few drinks. Glorious.

When I did Ben Lui, I combined it with Beinn a' Chleibh, which at 700ft lower and ascended to from the bealach between the two peaks felt really easy compared to Ben Lui.

Went over the river on the A85 up to north west side of Ben Lui then descended to the bealach and up Beinn a' Chleibh. Looking back on it, doing Ben Lui on its own I would probably head for that bealach again and turn left.

Those who did Ben Lui from the small car park on the A85, did you walk down the road to the bridge or ford the river?

Forded the river in bare feet on the way and on the return just ploughed through with boots and socks on because of the state of me from the bogs.

Is Culra not closed with asbestos?

It is I camped. Although there were people inside. I have heard the exposed panels are on the exterior and the wood panelling on the inside is sound but it was a nice night so I didn't bother risking it.

Counted 22 tents there, was like t in the park.

It is I camped. Although there were people inside. I have heard the exposed panels are on the exterior and the wood panelling on the inside is sound but it was a nice night so I didn't bother risking it.

Counted 22 tents there, was like t in the park.

Wow that's busy! I climbed Ben Alder on a fabulous early spring day about 8 years ago, with lots of snow still on the hill.

Planning another trip in that way on the bike, no hills really planned this time, just need nice weather to coincide with time off work!

Ben Lui is one of my favourites, it's beautiful.

I was up BEM last weekend, when I got to the summit of Stob Dearg there was a massive tame raven giving me grief for not giving it scraps. Beautiful bird sitting 5 feet away from me. Anyone else seen it?

Ben Lui is one of my favourites, it's beautiful.

I was up BEM last weekend, when I got to the summit of Stob Dearg there was a massive tame raven giving me grief for not giving it scraps. Beautiful bird sitting 5 feet away from me. Anyone else seen it?

Yup, it was scrounging off me there back in May.

Also had one follow me all the way from Carn Liath to Creag Meagaidh :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Went up Mayar and Dreish yesterday, weather was absolutely perfect with very little wind at the tops. It was pretty busy as there was some Duathlon on but nothing too bad.

The first view of Corrie Fee when you emerge from the trees is something else though! I could've just put a blanket down and chilled there all day and not felt hard done by..

First munros this year but remembered why I enjoy it so much, gonna try and squeeze a few more in before the winter weather closes in!

Went up Mayar and Dreish yesterday, weather was absolutely perfect with very little wind at the tops.

Yeah, I saw you from the top of Lochnagar. ;)

Managed to see as far south as the Lomond Hills by Kinross. Perfect weather with the sunshine being out yet not too hot. That said, we could have done with a bit more of a breeze at the start though as the midges were out in force for the first hour of the walk or so.

Car park at Glen Muick was absolutely overfilled (not helped by folk parked in the turning areas, early cnuts parking across two spaces etc). Plenty of idiots seemed to have hit the hills though; came across a guy heading down the gully to Glas-allt Shiel in just shorts and t-shirt, completely lost, anxiously searching for his wife and thinking he was heading back down the way he came up (from Meikle Pap). Lost on a clear day FFS.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Mamores for me yesterday. The devils ridge wasn't anything like as hairy as some make out, maybe in winter?

Just confirmed for what I had already decided after doing the eastern mamores from kinlochleven. They are the best mountains in the country. Sharp peaks, long airy ridges and a hundred different ways to walk and combine them.

Have signed up to do a charity trek through the Mont Blanc region of the Alps (donation link in my signature ;) ;) ). It's meant to be tough but accessible for rookies.

Anyone ever done anything similar that can recommend similar kind of walks in Scotland that would be good for preparation etc?

Have signed up to do a charity trek through the Mont Blanc region of the Alps (donation link in my signature ;) ;) ). It's meant to be tough but accessible for rookies.

Anyone ever done anything similar that can recommend similar kind of walks in Scotland that would be good for preparation etc?

Maybe it's because I'm on mobile but can't see anything about terrain or altitude or height gained per day etc.

If we had that info we could maybe suggest something

Maybe it's because I'm on mobile but can't see anything about terrain or altitude or height gained per day etc.

If we had that info we could maybe suggest something

Here's the walking itinerary for the trip

Day 2 Val Ferret to La Fouly

Following breakfast we transfer to our start point, the head of Val Ferret. We immediately start to ascend along the back wall of the valley to our highest point of the day – Grand Col Ferret (2,537m). The views from here are simply breathtaking - waterfalls tumbling from crevassed glaciers and the long distance view to Courmayeur in Italy. We descend to the Swiss village of La Fouly for overnight.

Trekking distance - approx. 21km (13 miles)

Day 3 La Fouly to Champex

A slightly easier day today, but our legs will still be feeling the previous day's trek! We follow the Swiss part of the Val Ferret to Champex (1,450m). The trail will take us through traditional Swiss villages and across open meadows where we'll see local farmers tending to the land. The views from this part of the trek are outstanding, as you would expect from the Alps.

We eventually reach our accommodation in the charming village of Champex, complete with its own lake.

Trekking distance - approx. 19.5km (12 miles)

Day 4 Champex to Col de la Forclaz

Today we ascend out of Champex immediately and trek around the Fenetre d'Arpette (2,665m). A very challenging day, but an amazing end to our adventure in the Alps! We descend to our waiting vehicle at Col de la Forclaz (1,526m) and take the transfer back to Chamonix for a night of celebration.

Trekking distance - approx. 24.5km (15 miles)