Madeleine Mccann Missing Girl

As for dogs...... I used to work Airport security ( X-RAY ) so used to chat to a lot of the security guys / managers at various airports - As far as dogs go, I was told that they are better at detecting drugs than the chemical analysis systems you see ( the kind of thing they swab your laptop with before sticking it in a clever wee machine ) the problem with the dogs though is that they don't / can't concentrate for long enough - that's why they only have them on patrol for 20 mins a time.....

Exactly.

I just don't see how having dogs in hospitals and the like would be practical; some people may be acutely allergic to dogs

Doctor

"Mrs Smith, we have this dog here that can tell us if you have cancer, this will save the 3 week wait for a scan and we can start the appropriate treatment much quicker"

Mrs Smith

"I'll wait for the scan doctor, i get a bit sniffy around dogs"

:lol:

Least you're not riled at all. :lol:

I just don't see how having dogs in hospitals and the like would be practical; some people may be acutely allergic to dogs and to have them around may harm the patients health. Plus to have people queue up like you say and wait to be sniffed is ignoring the fact that people may not like to be diagnosed or flagged up for potentially having cancer in front of what would be strangers.

In the case of therapy pets, they are wonderful things, but they don't really require much training. You can stick a group of Lab pups in amongst a group of people and the people would be instantly happier (They did this at Dundee University). Cancer I'd imagine is a bit more of a sensitive issue, and like I said I think people would rather be seen on a one to one basis to be diagnosed (rather than the group centered environment which therapy pets usually operate in).

Plus, dogs are unpredictable, and they can be easily distracted from tasks given to them, unlike machines; and it's this unpredictable aspect of their behaviour which I'd imagine is a factor in their denial as a legitimate cancer fighting resource.

Wait. What? You took the posts about queuing people up and letting the cute dog break the bad news seriously?

Doctor

"Mrs Smith, we have this dog here that can tell us if you have cancer, this will save the 3 week wait for a scan and we can start the appropriate treatment much quicker"

Mrs Smith

"I'll wait for the scan doctor, i get a bit sniffy around dogs"

:lol:

Well that's just a silly scenario; also showing your ignorance in how certain medicinal effects can be altered by an allergic reaction.

Well that's just a silly scenario; also showing your ignorance in how certain medicinal effects can be altered by an allergic reaction.

You come a cross as the type of guy that would believe anything if any study said it might work. I'm betting your a massive fan of aromatherapy, acupuncture and remote healing?

You come a cross as the type of guy that would believe anything if any study said it might work. I'm betting your a massive fan of aromatherapy, acupuncture and remote healing?

http://www.bmj.com/content/329/7468/712

That's quite a good source btw.

Never tried any of them, so I can't comment. Can't say I've had any experience with alternative medicine.

2z8q0j4.jpg

Nice to see you're not actually focusing on the central point of refutation. You said dogs can't sniff out cancer, I've provided sources which indicate with a degree of statistical certainty that they can; you in reply resort to your usual "brain donor" repertoire of personal attacks and pictures.

Nice to see you're not actually focusing on the central point of refutation. You said dogs can't sniff out cancer, I've provided sources which indicate with a degree of statistical certainty that they can; you in reply resort to your usual "brain donor" repertoire of personal attacks and pictures.

Well we've had 3 sources all with wildly varying % rates of success. That's a red flag right there, you do realise you can get a study pretty much saying anything can do anything don't you?

also if you take me posting a picture as a "personal attack" you have issues.

Well we've had 3 sources all with wildly varying % rates of success. That's a red flag right there, you do realise you can get a study pretty much saying anything can do anything don't you?

also if you take me posting a picture as a "personal attack" you have issues.

Of course, although the sources I've given have been scientific in their methodologies; this of course doesn't grant them immunity from error but it's better than anything you've replied with.

Well no, you called me a loon ball or something to that effect; pretty standard Ad Hominem. Of course, the same could be said about me when I called you a brain donor, so I apologise for that.

Edited by DonnieDarko

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/08August/Pages/dogs-smell-test-for-lung-cancer.aspx

From the NHS, an all together more rational approach, doubts cast include dogs detecting the scent of a lung cancer drug and one of the studies being funded by the Authors of the report.

So as I said, you can get reports to prove anything.

eta for those that can't be arsed reading the whole thing

"However, the researchers point out that the dogs may have been detecting the medication used by the cancer patients rather than substances indicating the disease itself. This casts doubt on how well the technique might detect undiagnosed cancer. The accuracy of the test is unlikely to be the same in an unselected group from the general population. Therefore further testing will be needed."

Edited by Romeo

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/08August/Pages/dogs-smell-test-for-lung-cancer.aspx

From the NHS, an all together more rational approach, doubts cast include dogs detecting the scent of a lung cancer drug and one of the studies being funded by the Authors of the report.

So as I said, you can get reports to prove anything.

eta for those that can't be arsed reading the whole thing

"However, the researchers point out that the dogs may have been detecting the medication used by the cancer patients rather than substances indicating the disease itself. This casts doubt on how well the technique might detect undiagnosed cancer. The accuracy of the test is unlikely to be the same in an unselected group from the general population. Therefore further testing will be needed."

The overarching point to that article is that there needs to be more research into it. If the NHS is suggesting that more research must be done, it can't be all that outlandish. Anyhoo, we've clogged the thread up enough, pm me if you wish to continue this discussion.

The overarching point to that article is that there needs to be more research into it.

But you said they can, deffo, with a 90%+ success rate.......

Im sure you will agree that my source is as relevant, if not more so than your source.

from the same article..

"The study was carried out by researchers from the Ambulante Pneumologie in Stuttgart, Germany, and Schillerhoede Hospital, Gerlingen, Germany. The study was funded using the authors’ own money. One of the credited authors declared a possible conflict of interest due to them owning the training kennel used in the research."

Edited by Romeo