P&b Running Club

Jog Scotland got me started, ArabGaz. There was a great group here for a while that had loads of members. Lots of us have now moved on to other clubs, but the group is still going strong. Would thoroughly recommend.

It's weird for me just now-as previously stated I'm only just getting back into it after recovering from a serious injury. About a month ago I was swithering about signing up for Parkrun because I didn't know if I'd manage a 5k. Then, suddenly, I've done a 6 miler, a 5.5 miler and a 4.5 miler in the space of 10 days. It's like I've got a new set of legs.

Any tips on taking it up a level? I'm averaging 9:30 miles, would like to get up to easily managing a half marathon later this year.

I'm in Inverness this weekend, can I just show up at the parkrun with my barcode from Edinburgh and get a time?

Aye, although you need to run the 5k as well though ;)

Actually, you might not need to. I was down in London once and decided to do a local parkrun on a Saturday. So I turn up at around 9.15am, only to see the run in full swing cos they start at 9am south of the border. So I just joined in at the half way point. Still got a shite time though. 

First run for three weeks tonight. Started off planning to do four miles but was keeping up with the five so just did that. Feel OK just now, I guess tomorrow will be the real test!

Great going there Morrison, that's some improvement. How did you find the training this time? Did you go harder at it, or just a case of being more used to the distance after a few previous shots at it?

On the cross training stuff, I hardly did any last year, other than some core exercises that I tried a few times and got really bored with. Having got into swimming in the last 6 weeks though, I'll try to keep that going once I finally get back to running, but maybe not every day as I do just now. It works quite well going before work - for some reason I can swim no problem at 7.30, but any tme 've tried running at that time I just can't function.

Cheers guys, was nice to know the 5k's feeling tougher was going somewhere positive!

I'm in Inverness this weekend, can I just show up at the parkrun with my barcode from Edinburgh and get a time?

I promise I'm not following you (honest), but I'll be there too.  It it's raining or wet, I hope you're not too precious about your shoes; it's all on grass so prepare for mud!

It's weird for me just now-as previously stated I'm only just getting back into it after recovering from a serious injury. About a month ago I was swithering about signing up for Parkrun because I didn't know if I'd manage a 5k. Then, suddenly, I've done a 6 miler, a 5.5 miler and a 4.5 miler in the space of 10 days. It's like I've got a new set of legs.

Any tips on taking it up a level? I'm averaging 9:30 miles, would like to get up to easily managing a half marathon later this year.

Reina made a recent post with good suggestions - once you've got your fitness where you want it, give interval sessions a go.  Doesn't have to be too structured, can be running hard between lampposts and really easy for a bit, or going a set distance fairly fast before pegging it back.  Most of us on here are parkrunners, and they're handy as a guide to where you are or as a session in itself.  

Traditionally Sunday'd be 'LSR' (long slow run) day, which is self descriptive...should be a relatively comfortable one building up to around 10-11 miles if a half marathon is on your horizon.

Great going there Morrison, that's some improvement. How did you find the training this time? Did you go harder at it, or just a case of being more used to the distance after a few previous shots at it?

On the cross training stuff, I hardly did any last year, other than some core exercises that I tried a few times and got really bored with. Having got into swimming in the last 6 weeks though, I'll try to keep that going once I finally get back to running, but maybe not every day as I do just now. It works quite well going before work - for some reason I can swim no problem at 7.30, but any tme 've tried running at that time I just can't function.

Cheers, Socks.  Joining the club is what I put a lot of the improvement down to, with the structured runs and competition all around.  In April 2015 I PB'd Paris in 3:24:xx, then club sessions started in June.  PB'd Berlin in the September 3:20:5x having missed most of the run-in with injury, and finished very strongly that day.  That's when it clicked I could be quite a bit quicker.

Although we weren't on the track over the winter, the cross country season toughened me up and I've been lucky that any niggles have been exactly that - niggles.  Mileage has gone up as I've got out more regularly, but for me it was the more clearly defined runs that mad the difference, rather than just churning everything out at a similar pace as I had done.  

Blackrock's just shy of 5 miles if I remember rightly from last year. No idea what they're getting at!

A course PB at Inverness parkrun today, 19:28 I think. Pretty pleased to go sub 20, felt pretty good today. Caught in the brief hailstone appearance on the way back into town, though!

I'm sure I've seen it described as 4.5 miles before. It's been seven years since I did it for the third time (I was a struggling to stay fit student at that point) so I'll be wanting to beat a time I set when I was just finishing school - I'd like to think it should be fine!

Back in the present, 18:57 at Edinburgh parkrun this morning, was on for a comfortable PB at 3km but running on my own into the wind stopped that happening, not that the wind helped at all on the way out...

Went along to Springburn parkrun this morning for their 100th run. Not been there since October 2014 and the course has changed slightly due to part of the path being closed. This makes it slightly less undulating and a more fun experience. Will definitely be going there more often going forward.

It was a strong field today as Motherwell AC were using the race as part of their 5k championship series. I managed to get round in 17'52" which is a course best by the thick end of 20 secs and only 11 secs outside my overall pb. And that was only good enough for 8th place lol!

The course is slightly quicker than before, but I am certain I would have been a good 10 secs ahead of pb on the old course as well! The post run juice, cookie and cake went down well as well!

Edited by BishyTON