P&b Running Club

Cheers. I also had the combination of my right calf and left hamstring going at the same time with about 2k to go as I attempted to make a late push. A beautiful course, but very up and down (even the downhills are hard work).

Yeah, I was holding back the tears at times. It was a real positive atmosphere and everyone is equal whether they take 2 and a half hours or 5 and half.

Edited by Kenzie

I'm worried about the same thing at the GSR. I didn't actually enter it and am doing it because my pal got injured. He estimated that he'd do it in 2hr so it's starting from the green starting zone.

Does anyone know just how strict they will be enforcing that? Because I'll have no chance of going sub 1hr 30min if I'm made to start there.

From what I've seen in previous years, no-one gives a flying one. Just keep a top on until the last possible moment, then go and stand right in the middle ;)

Loch Ness Marathon defeated me! All was well and looking good for a 3 hours 10 minutes finish, but a long - seemingly never ending - hill (just after Dores) after about 30k of running already was the doing of me. Disappointing as I normally excel in the hilly parts. My legs, and probably more importantly my mental state, never really recovered and the last 10k was purgatory.

Finished in 3:19:37, which I’ll be positive about as it was my first marathon and it’s a notoriously challenging course. I already want to do it again, possibly do the Edinburgh Marathon also next year followed by Loch Ness again. Next up for me is the Southside6, which is hills/stairs; I’ll be taking it easy this week though.

Good luck to all P&B’ers gearing up for the GSR. I intend to get out and support all runners, thoroughly enjoyed staying around encouraging runners later on today, a bit emotional at times watching people running for important causes that mean a lot to them personally. I’ll definitely be getting sponsored next time I attempt a marathon.

Brilliant time Kenzie. I did this 2 years ago now and loved apart from the last 2 miles, the hill at Dores didn't bother me so much as I knew it was coming. I managed a 3 hr 30 so very impressed with time.

I got another KB from London. Thinking about the deerstalker down in Peebles and looking for a marathon in 2014 maybe Edinburgh but not sure. Defoe back to the GSR next year

So less than a week to go, how is everyone shaping up for the GSR/ run of their choice??

I provisionally was hoping for a 50min 10km but that's just not happening.

Anywhere between 52-55mins will have me cheery.

Closer to 52 and I may actually get annoyed haha.

I'd like another another few weeks of training but hey ho.

I'm just gonna set off at 1'29"59 pace and see how long I can sustain it for.

Could be painful.

Same here.

Is that the strategy? I can seem to maintain a high level of pace most times, I just worry that if I set off too fast I'll be humped.

Problem is I can't seem to increase the pace once I get tired.

I'm aiming for around 1hr 55 for the half, my longest run up to now was 12.2 miles in 1hr 48 last weekend, so hopefully a combination of adrenaline and sheer bloody mindedness will do the trick. The race pace calculator on Running World has me around 1hr 56/57, so fairly confident.

Any closer to 1hr 50 would be tremendous, but miraculous too.

Same here.

Is that the strategy? I can seem to maintain a high level of pace most times, I just worry that if I set off too fast I'll be humped.

Problem is I can't seem to increase the pace once I get tired.

I'd always advise against setting off too quick and think that aiming for an even pace is the best strategy.

Hopefully I'll manage that on Sunday but I'm just worried I'm being a bit too ambitious.

I'd always advise against setting off too quick and think that aiming for an even pace is the best strategy.

Hopefully I'll manage that on Sunday but I'm just worried I'm being a bit too ambitious.

Best of luck to us all!!

Big run tue/ short fast run Thursday and then the big one Sunday.

The start on Sunday might put paid to a very quick start, unless you hit the front and stay there. It's proper congested and up hill. I'm aiming to take it very easy up St Vincent St and the Kingston Bridge, hoping to make up for it after about 60 mins of easy running.

I managed 8 miles yesterday and I think that will be that in terms of running. I'll fill the rest of the week in with stretching and swimming to protect my chocolate knee.

Managed to get out last night and get my time for a 10k down to 44:40 or so. Glad with the progress being made considering I'm only going out once a month. As the nights get longer, I'll start going swimming a couple of times a week and hopefully get myself on more of a rotation regarding cardio. Happy I'm down closer to the 40 minute mark as opposed to the 50 minute mark now, albeit by a minute or so.

The start on Sunday might put paid to a very quick start, unless you hit the front and stay there. It's proper congested and up hill. I'm aiming to take it very easy up St Vincent St and the Kingston Bridge, hoping to make up for it after about 60 mins of easy running.I managed 8 miles yesterday and I think that will be that in terms of running. I'll fill the rest of the week in with stretching and swimming to protect my chocolate knee.

The st Vincent's street start is such a git!

Could be worse. The first Edinburgh marathon in 2003 started at Meadowbank Stadium and sent us up and round Arthur's Seat.

Brutal. I don't mind the hills once I'm into my stride but it fair knocks it out of you as the very first thing to encounter.

10km this afternoon in my best time of 54 mins.

Delighted.

Was supposed to run for longer but thought 10km would do the business.

No hills on the route I ran but hoping that the runners can pull me through to a similar time.

you will.

The first (and only) year I did the GSR 10k, the crowd/occasion/other runners/atmosphere took me through to what is still my PB of 48:29. I hadn't been under 50 mins before that day, have been since a few times on training runs, but never better than 48:29.

And because I'm waaaaayy the wrong side of 40, every passing year makes it more unlikely that I ever will better that. My actual next target is to run a 10k in less minutes than my years of age, if you know what I mean.

you will.

The first (and only) year I did the GSR 10k, the crowd/occasion/other runners/atmosphere took me through to what is still my PB of 48:29. I hadn't been under 50 mins before that day, have been since a few times on training runs, but never better than 48:29.

And because I'm waaaaayy the wrong side of 40, every passing year makes it more unlikely that I ever will better that. My actual next target is to run a 10k in less minutes than my years of age, if you know what I mean.

When is your next 10km?