P&b Running Club

Saturday was also at Kirkcaldy parkrun, new course PB for me as well, although unsurprisingly still a bit outside the Cramond PB.

Since then, I've got out and did just over 10 miles on Sunday morning, still feeling pretty good on the long runs and also did a few km on the treadmill on Monday - putting the speed up every so often.

Another 5k at lunch time today. I've knocked 5 minutes off my time in a week, today being a 1 minute 40 improvement on Tuesday and a 5k pb by 1 minute. 31.13, still slow but a big jump for me. Aim to be under half an hour in the next couple of weeks. Will be happy when I'm regularly doing it at around 26 minutes but that is a while off yet

Had a complete mare this morning, planned to do half marathon in prep for GNR. Did distance in 1hr 35 few weeks back. Went away far too fast and broke both my 5k and 10 k PBs, second half of run had killer hills and ashamed to say I walked twice and gave up completely at 10.5miles. First time I have ever done that. At mile 8 I pretty much decided I wasn't doing GNR anymore however after time to reflect decided to use this run as a learning curve and pace myself better. Running 6.45second miles is not they way forward, going to try and reign it in at steady 7.15.

Very nervous about GNR now despite being my third time.

Aviemore. It's 2 weeks after Baxter's 10k and I *should* PB in both races if I keep the training up and stay injury free. I have 6 miles planned for tomorrow with 4 at tempo pace...

Nice one, sounds like you're flying just now. I'd thought about Aviemore, maybe next year.

Marty - You'll be fine at GNR provided you do one thing. Pace yourself! I'm sure you'll already know your run didn't go well because you went off like a rocket, and to keep the analogy going, you ran out of fuel. It's great you've got that type of pace in you, but longer training runs are more about time on feet rather than all out efforts. Apologies if I come across all preachy :shutup

Rowan - hope the tonsillitis makes itself scarce soon.

Stellaboz - I won't talk you out of Edinburgh, but I didn't enjoy it. If you were willing to wait a wee bit I'd highly recommend Loch Ness in September 2016; it's light on support as you'd expect but a brilliant setting.

Edinburgh parkrun for me this morning as part of a 20-mile run. Felt a bit rubbish for the 5.5 miles to the start line but eveything after went smoothly, including a wee bit of 'tempo' for the 28th to 30th kilometres. Yep, I work in kilometres... Good to see true_rover there this morning too, still tearing the place up!

Did my first 10 miler of the year this morning, 10:00 min/mile (my ideal lsr pace is 10:30min/mile for a sub-2hr half, according to my training plan, so was maybe a bit fast). At about mile 8 I decided I'll never ever do a marathon ;-)

Did my first 10 miler of the year this morning, 10:00 min/mile (my ideal lsr pace is 10:30min/mile for a sub-2hr half, according to my training plan, so was maybe a bit fast). At about mile 8 I decided I'll never ever do a marathon ;-)

Going at 10:00's could be the way to go if you want a sub 2 half because you need to be doing the main shooting match at close to 9:00's, so the gap to bridge isn't too big on the day. I personally find miles 8-10 are the hardest ones in an HM when going for a time because you feel quite second hand, but know you haven't broken the back of the distance. Soon as I hit 10 miles I just tell myself it's a Parkrun to the finish and time to HTFU, hah. Good luck!

Going to risk 9/10 miles tomorrow after coming through a tough Parkrun this morn. Fingers crossed.

I personally find miles 8-10 are the hardest ones in an HM when going for a time because you feel quite second hand, but know you haven't broken the back of the distance. Soon as I hit 10 miles I just tell myself it's a Parkrun to the finish and time to HTFU, hah. Good luck!

I did a half today and saw your post before heading off - hadn't though of it like that before, but I did remember your words going through 10. It helped for a mile anyway before it felt tough from 11 - from that point I went back to my normal thing when I'm struggling and started running for time. 11 miles means about 15 mins to the finish for me, and I find it works quite well counting them off one at a time.

Good race that, the Barry Buddon half. Well organised, and the good facilities that come from starting and finishing in a military camp are a bonus. It's also pretty flat and all on good tarmac so on a good day definitely a PB course. Today it was sun, wind, sun, wind and so on which was quite hard on some of the long straights but a good run nonetheless. Finished in 1:30:39 which is about 1:45 outside PB, but I'm actually pretty happy with that. First time I've done that distance with no taper, and I've been struggling all week after last Sunday's really hard long run. I'd have been content with anything under 1:33 today, so pretty pleased to beat that by a decent margin.

Edinburgh parkrun for me this morning as part of a 20-mile run. Felt a bit rubbish for the 5.5 miles to the start line but eveything after went smoothly, including a wee bit of 'tempo' for the 28th to 30th kilometres. Yep, I work in kilometres... Good to see true_rover there this morning too, still tearing the place up!

:lol:

19.24 for me yesterday, which felt good again.

However, today not so good. Planned to head out for 16/17km this morning but my ankle was feeling stiff straight away. Eventually cut myself short with a 10k instead.

I did a half today and saw your post before heading off - hadn't though of it like that before, but I did remember your words going through 10. It helped for a mile anyway before it felt tough from 11 - from that point I went back to my normal thing when I'm struggling and started running for time. 11 miles means about 15 mins to the finish for me, and I find it works quite well counting them off one at a time.

Good race that, the Barry Buddon half. Well organised, and the good facilities that come from starting and finishing in a military camp are a bonus. It's also pretty flat and all on good tarmac so on a good day definitely a PB course. Today it was sun, wind, sun, wind and so on which was quite hard on some of the long straights but a good run nonetheless. Finished in 1:30:39 which is about 1:45 outside PB, but I'm actually pretty happy with that. First time I've done that distance with no taper, and I've been struggling all week after last Sunday's really hard long run. I'd have been content with anything under 1:33 today, so pretty pleased to beat that by a decent margin.

Well run, sir. Friend of mine was down there and was also quite complimentary (except for the wind).

Different things work for different people, I always like to keep an open mind on advice, hints, tips.

Got the 10 miles done in 1:36 today, and no pain. Think the sub-2 half may still have to wait, but certainly think 2:05 is doable.

Doing the half marathon at the start of October. From previous experience, the biggest pain I experienced was from my inner thighs chafing.

What's the best way to counteract this? Vaseline or cycling shorts? What's the pros and cons for either?

Paisley 10k for me yesterday. Got around in 37'40". That is a new course pb by 23 seconds, but around a minute outside overall pb.

Relatively pleased with the given recent injury issues, the relatively hot weather conditions during race and my Garmin not finding a satellite and having to rely on a stopwatch and km markers only (old school lol).

Not sure what my next run will be - considering Kilmacolm 3k, Cumbernauld 10k and Erskine Bridgebuster 10k. If none of them then it will be the GSR 10k in early October.

Doing the half marathon at the start of October. From previous experience, the biggest pain I experienced was from my inner thighs chafing.

What's the best way to counteract this? Vaseline or cycling shorts? What's the pros and cons for either?

I swear by Bodyglide. Survived a marathon (and a full day walking) using it with no after effects.

( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bodyglide/ ).

Edited by Scorge

I swear by Bodyglide. Survived a marathon (and a full day walking) using it with no after effects.

( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bodyglide/ ).

Cheers. Looks reasonably priced so I'll give it a shot. I take it it's er, good for nips as well?

Paisley 10k for me yesterday. Got around in 37'40". That is a new course pb by 23 seconds, but around a minute outside overall pb.

Relatively pleased with the given recent injury issues, the relatively hot weather conditions during race and my Garmin not finding a satellite and having to rely on a stopwatch and km markers only (old school lol).

Not sure what my next run will be - considering Kilmacolm 3k, Cumbernauld 10k and Erskine Bridgebuster 10k. If none of them then it will be the GSR 10k in early October.

PB for me at Paisley as well and also experienced Garmin issues - it was old school all the way.

Cumbernauld then the GSR half both upcoming. Eagerly anticipating both.

Cheers. Looks reasonably priced so I'll give it a shot. I take it it's er, good for nips as well?

It is indeed. I use the same stuff, never any bother. Apparently vaseline'll stain your gear, leaving nice dark patches, so probably best avoided.

I have hyper-sensitive nips so I Elastoplast those fuckers nowadays, but the bodyglide should be enough for 'normal' runners, aye!

Might have a go of that myself - I've found there's only one t-shirt I can wear on a long run if it's a warm day, as my others all leave me with big blood spots.

That's the last 20 mile training run of the year done, and it feels good to say that. Felt much better towards the end today than two weeks ago despite being warm and sunny again, though a big difference was that today's route had plenty of shaded bits. At the moment I feel better prepared for this marathon than I did for the Edinburgh one, so if I can get through the taper weeks without any illness or injuries I should have a decent chance of beating my time from that day. I'm now looking forward to running this one, and would assume that the course along Loch Ness will be a bit more interesting and scenic than that out and back plod along the East Lothian coast.