P&b Running Club

9 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

I walk the dog there most days. It’s literally a five minute walk from the house. I’ve even logged on to the park run site to register myself for it. Still never done it.

I kinda assumed that everyone on the running thread would do parkruns, but clearly not! If you don't like running with other people or getting out your scratcher for 9:30am then I guess they're not your bag. I only took up running in my mid thirties, and if it wasn't for parkrun, I'd have binned it a long time ago. I think part of its success is that it's the same all over the world (always 5km, always Saturday morning, always in a parkun / away from roads, and the barcode you print off can be used at all of them). I'm no extrovert, but from doing parkruns in Canada, Finland, and Poland - I've met quite a few interesting and sound folk. All being well with Covid / Crimea, I'm going to St. Petersburg in May and I'm looking forward to trying one of theirs (even if I won't have a clue what anyone is saying). 

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I kinda assumed that everyone on the running thread would do parkruns, but clearly not! If you don't like running with other people or getting out your scratcher for 9:30am then I guess they're not your bag. I only took up running in my mid thirties, and if it wasn't for parkrun, I'd have binned it a long time ago. I think part of its success is that it's the same all over the world (always 5km, always Saturday morning, always in a parkun / away from roads, and the barcode you print off can be used at all of them). I'm no extrovert, but from doing parkruns in Canada, Finland, and Poland - I've met quite a few interesting and sound folk. All being well with Covid / Crimea, I'm going to St. Petersburg in May and I'm looking forward to trying one of theirs (even if I won't have a clue what anyone is saying). 

Where's your local parkrun?

Ive done them in Bydgoszcz Poland, Berlin, divonne France and San Francisco, which unfortunately last year stopped.

22 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Where's your local parkrun?

Ive done them in Bydgoszcz Poland, Berlin, divonne France and San Francisco, which unfortunately last year stopped.

It used to be Pollok, but I was on the team that started up the Queen's Park one which is much closer to my bit. Surprised East Kilbride doesn't have one, but then again, I'm not quite sure where you could have one. I ran round the Heritage Loch yesterday (4 times = 5km) but I was constantly zig-zagging round walkers so definitely wouldn't be suitable. Shame about San Fransisco - how come it was stopped? 

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I don’t do parkrun as I’m an anti social p***k :lol:

It used to be Pollok, but I was on the team that started up the Queen's Park one which is much closer to my bit. Surprised East Kilbride doesn't have one, but then again, I'm not quite sure where you could have one. I ran round the Heritage Loch yesterday (4 times = 5km) but I was constantly zig-zagging round walkers so definitely wouldn't be suitable. Shame about San Fransisco - how come it was stopped? 

East Kilbride is atrocious for outdoor spaces/parks. Calderglen is awful due to lack of investment.

The heritage loch is pretty boring and I don't think the people that use it regularly would welcome 200+ runners turning up on a Saturday.

So you're responsible for the hardest parkrun in Scotland? 😂

Did queen's park once, never again.

As for San Francisco, i think it was down to numbers and the responsibility of a really small core team to make sure it went ahead every week was beginning to take it's toll.

Parkrun really is nothing without it's volunteers.

Such a shame as it was a great flat course down at the water front, Crissy Field park, running out towards the GG bridge.

I'm a regular at Strathclyde, going to try and get a bit more tourism in this year though.

5 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

parkrun is great but I usually do a long run on a Friday so I give it a miss. Before lockdown I used to volunteer at my local one a lot as it was only a half hour or so walk away. Since it started back up I've moved further away so doesn't really fit in any more sadly. I used to see it as good karma as St Mirren would often get a good result when I helped, or I'd have a good run if I was doing a race that weekend!

Would love to do them when I'm on holiday but either the city I was in didn't have one or would be too far from where I was (San Francisco a good example of that).

3 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

East Kilbride is atrocious for outdoor spaces/parks. Calderglen is awful due to lack of investment.

The heritage loch is pretty boring and I don't think the people that use it regularly would welcome 200+ runners turning up on a Saturday.

So you're responsible for the hardest parkrun in Scotland? 😂

Did queen's park once, never again.

As for San Francisco, i think it was down to numbers and the responsibility of a really small core team to make sure it went ahead every week was beginning to take it's toll.

Parkrun really is nothing without it's volunteers.

Such a shame as it was a great flat course down at the water front, Crissy Field park, running out towards the GG bridge.

I'm a regular at Strathclyde, going to try and get a bit more tourism in this year though.

Agreed with EK. At least Strathclyde isn't far away. There was talk of having one up at Whitelees Windfarm but nothing came of it. 

There's a reason why I prefer to volunteer at Queen's Park instead of run! Surprisingly, Queen's isn't even the hilliest course in Glasgow. Have you ever tried Drumchapel? That truly is a glad I did it, never again.

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

parkrun is great but I usually do a long run on a Friday so I give it a miss. Before lockdown I used to volunteer at my local one a lot as it was only a half hour or so walk away. Since it started back up I've moved further away so doesn't really fit in any more sadly. I used to see it as good karma as St Mirren would often get a good result when I helped, or I'd have a good run if I was doing a race that weekend!

Would love to do them when I'm on holiday but either the city I was in didn't have one or would be too far from where I was (San Francisco a good example of that).

Yeah, some of them are inaccessible without a car (or in one case, a ferry), especially at that time on a Saturday morning. 

Agreed with EK. At least Strathclyde isn't far away. There was talk of having one up at Whitelees Windfarm but nothing came of it. 

There's a reason why I prefer to volunteer at Queen's Park instead of run! Surprisingly, Queen's isn't even the hilliest course in Glasgow. Have you ever tried Drumchapel? That truly is a glad I did it, never again.

Yeah, some of them are inaccessible without a car (or in one case, a ferry), especially at that time on a Saturday morning. 

Having done both i don't think drumchapel is as hard as queen's park. I felt like I was running that famous escher painting at queen's.

Lanark moor was a tough wee course too.

Believe it or not it’s the 5km distance that puts me off. I didn’t take up running till I was 33 when and started with the Edinburgh Marathon. Ever since I’ve never felt I’ve done a run if it’s not at least five miles. No reason not to do one then go further but that seems to defeat the purpose of doing an organised run. Or maybe I’m just daft.

8 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've done Drumchapel - great fun despite the elevation. Haven't been in Glasgow since Queen's started and some people have said it's harder. Should find out some point this summer. In the UK, Woolacombe Dunes or Whinlatter Forest looks like the ones you want if you're a proper masochist.

11 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

Believe it or not it’s the 5km distance that puts me off. I didn’t take up running till I was 33 when and started with the Edinburgh Marathon. Ever since I’ve never felt I’ve done a run if it’s not at least five miles. No reason not to do one then go further but that seems to defeat the purpose of doing an organised run. Or maybe I’m just daft.

Hardcore! I took up running when I was about 35, and I think it was about 2 years before I ventured further than 5km on a run. Still, if you fancy coming along to Queen's Park, our 5km will feel more like 5 miles. Still reckon it's not as tough as Drumchapel though! Numbers-wise, we got our highest attendance since lockdown (174), so hopefully numbers will return to pre-pandemic levels over time. 

I think Drumchapel is tougher than Queen's Park. At Queen's at least you break up the climb, and the downhill is tremendous fun.

Forfar starts soon and Arbroath got underway last week, so Montrose finally gets some company out that way.

Gutted Crissy Fields has stopped. I was hoping to be over that way later in the year, so will have to try to squeeze a trip to a different US event if I make it over.

5 hours ago, morrison said:

I think Drumchapel is tougher than Queen's Park. At Queen's at least you break up the climb, and the downhill is tremendous fun.

Forfar starts soon and Arbroath got underway last week, so Montrose finally gets some company out that way.

Gutted Crissy Fields has stopped. I was hoping to be over that way later in the year, so will have to try to squeeze a trip to a different US event if I make it over.

Likewise was hoping to get to Crissy Fields this year to add an American parkrun to the Polish one I did a few years ago.

Actually been a long time since I've posted in this thread - not for lack of running either! Last year I covered the most miles I've managed in a year so one goal for the year is top that again. Recently joined a running club for the first time since the uni club so hopefully the more focused training will take a little off the times.

On 15/01/2022 at 19:03, Scorge said:

GNR is great, worth it for the first few miles alone. The motorway stretch from Gateshead to South Shields is a bit of a slog, but overall it's a fine course.

Noticed Arbroath parkrun up and running today - think I'll save that one for the better weather.

Did Arbroath for the first time today, completely flat so if it ain't blowing a hooley should be pretty quick times. Course is right beside the sea.

4 hours ago, keptie said:

Did Arbroath for the first time today, completely flat so if it ain't blowing a hooley should be pretty quick times. Course is right beside the sea.

I was there today (yesterday?) too. About as good a morning for it as you could hope for! 

6 hours ago, morrison said:

I was there today (yesterday?) too. About as good a morning for it as you could hope for! 

Yes it was a beautiful morning. Apparently that was the reserve course that was used yesterday due to flooding on the main course so 5,2 km instead of 5km. Looking at the result i assume that's you near the top with an excellent time i was about 30 seconds behind you, if i knew there was another P&B runner ahead i would have cranked it up 😉

2 hours ago, keptie said:

Looking at the result i assume that's you near the top with an excellent time i was about 30 seconds behind you, if i knew there was another P&B runner ahead i would have cranked it up 😉

Yeah, I sometimes curse my lack of imagination when I created this account!

I had nothing more to give so I've been waving you by if you had.

14 hours ago, keptie said:

Yes it was a beautiful morning. Apparently that was the reserve course that was used yesterday due to flooding on the main course so 5,2 km instead of 5km

Ah, think I'll wait until the normal course is on in that case. Slower coaches like me don't need the penalty of an extra 200 metres (even flat ones) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My football was off this morning so went for to the Queens Park Parkrun for the first time. Horrendous weather and a very difficult course. Probably the toughest 5k route I've done. Slowest time in years.

Three laps, with three hills. Could taste iron by the end and my chest was killing me.

First run since August though so good to get back to it. Will stick to Pollok next time I'm doing one though.