P&b Running Club

I'm also doing it this year. I think it normally starts at half 10 so my plan is currently to drive down in the morning to one of the metro park and rides near the airport.

On a closer point, this weekend will be my 250th parkrun, will be celebrating it at my usual trip to Edinburgh.

Bought a pair of carbon plate shoes before xmas, Saucony endorphin pro. Only £118 (my son bought Nikes for over £400 just over 2 years ago).

Reckon it took over 30 secs off my parkrun time (I’m usually sub 20 mins but have struggled to even get under 21 mins since parkrun started back). Managed a sub 12 min 3k at the return of 3k on the green as well. 

Managed to lose a couple of pounds in the past month so hopefully, along with the shoes, I can get back to half decent times. 

Guy I know who is right into the masters running (age 56) won the Scottish gold medal for both 400 & 800m the other week.

These middle distance masters events are something I’d quite fancy attempting.

That same guy, his mate broke the age 65+ mile world record just 4 days ago. 5.04, amazing time. 

Edited by Captain Saintsible

1 hour ago, Rossi1990 said:

I done the GNR few years back. Was very lucky that the wife got a corporate entry so free hotel stay and also a spot right in the front pen. So can’t comment on what it’s like in a pen at the back but have heard it can take a while to get over the start line 

the start line is up near Exhibition Park on the motorway. Most people walk up towards it on the morning.

It’s not my favourite course I’ve done but the support is incredible. The last mile down the seafront is amazing too.  

1 hour ago, true_rover said:

I'm also doing it this year. I think it normally starts at half 10 so my plan is currently to drive down in the morning to one of the metro park and rides near the airport.

On a closer point, this weekend will be my 250th parkrun, will be celebrating it at my usual trip to Edinburgh.

Cheers, have ended up getting an Airbnb in Sunderland that is a 10 minute walk from a half hour metro ride from the start. Considerably cheaper than even the Premier Inn and Travel Lodge options.

There is a very good fish and chip place in South Shields but I imagine it will be mobbed!

My running mate got in this year. I didn’t. I have completed it once before and it is a great event for support. I drove to the car park near the metro station and trained it back to the start so the car was about a ten minute walk from the finish. Good luck to everyone who is competing. And if you can’t manage always happy to step in. [emoji2][emoji2]

29 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Bought a pair of carbon plate shoes before xmas, Saucony endorphin pro. Only £118 (my son bought Nikes for over £400 just over 2 years ago).

Reckon it took over 30 secs off my parkrun time (I’m usually sub 20 mins but have struggled to even get under 21 mins since parkrun started back). Managed a sub 12 min 3k at the return of 3k on the green as well. 

Managed to lose a couple of pounds in the past month so hopefully, along with the shoes, I can get back to half decent times. 

I think you're at a very very decent time as it is at sub 21 mins. Shoes that make you run that much faster sound great, order me a pair😁 seriously though you really think it is the shoes making you run faster?

8 minutes ago, keptie said:

I think you're at a very very decent time as it is at sub 21 mins. Shoes that make you run that much faster sound great, order me a pair😁 seriously though you really think it is the shoes making you run faster?

Totally. I ran my fastest time since parkrun started back and without extra effort (I check my heart rate). If you check out the letsrun forum, they almost universally agree on these shoes.

My son also hit his parkrun pb on the only parkrun he’s done since its return - 15.32 - and he’s done many many parkruns. His previous pb was 15.45 back in 2017.

These shoes work. 😉

Edited by Captain Saintsible

12 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Guy I know who is right into the masters running (age 56) won the Scottish gold medal for both 400 & 800m the other week.

These middle distance masters events are something I’d quite fancy attempting.

That same guy, his mate broke the age 65+ mile world record just 4 days ago. 5.04, amazing time. 

Mark Gallagher?

Not been on a run since September I think. Need to start again. Got a cross trainer in the basement which I have been hammering distance on, doing between 5k and 11k 5 nights a week. Times are a bit slower than my running would be but it’s keeping me ticking over until I can be bothered finding the running shoes again.

Great North Run was great fun. Did it back in 2015. I stayed pretty central and had no trouble at all. Also timed the metro nicely & don't remember struggling to get back into Newcastle.

I'll head to Edinburgh parkrun on Saturday @true_rover, a worthy celebration! Hamstring is knackered since that 10k so it'll be an amble round for me. 

On 23/06/2021 at 21:24, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Well done. I’m on week 2 having never done running before. I’m in shocking condition but doing well so far. Only issues is occasional really sore shins after and sometimes during a run. Any advice on this welcomed. I am running with a standard athletic trainer- when is it time for a good running shoe and again any advice welcomed on buying these.

Quoting my own post to update that I’m now signed up for ultras. A lot can happen in a year. 

Tried University of Stirling parkrun today. Quite an enjoyable course, although like Strathy, it's a bit demoralising seeing the faster runners on the other side of the loch/pond. It's pretty flat except for an uphill finish which I didn't enjoy.  Even thought it's not rained for a couple of days it was muddy in parts. 

12 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Tried University of Stirling parkrun today. Quite an enjoyable course, although like Strathy, it's a bit demoralising seeing the faster runners on the other side of the loch/pond. It's pretty flat except for an uphill finish which I didn't enjoy.  Even thought it's not rained for a couple of days it was muddy in parts. 

It’s a stunning campus tbf. Sneaky wee course- very flat which makes you pelt it but there are a couple of inclines that hurt, as you say. 

8 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Quoting my own post to update that I’m now signed up for ultras. A lot can happen in a year. 

You haven't wasted any time! What have you signed up for?

Ultras definitely come in a few different flavours so I'm intrigued.