P&b Running Club

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

My football was off this morning so went for to the Queens Park Parkrun for the first time. Horrendous weather and a very difficult course. Probably the toughest 5k route I've done. Slowest time in years.

Three laps, with three hills. Could taste iron by the end and my chest was killing me.

First run since August though so good to get back to it. Will stick to Pollok next time I'm doing one though.

Such easy weather conditions too

ETA: hand't noticed you did mention the weather, fair play for being mental enough to go out in that!

Edited by Mark Connolly

1 minute ago, Oystercatcher said:

Thats a fantastic time. My pb is 22:52, I doubt I'll see those times ever again

My PB is 21.36 IIRC. Yesterdays time has given me a wee boost that I’m going to use and try to get nearer that time again. It’s a tough slog in the winter 

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

Don't man. I've been running 5k 4 days out of 5 for the last 3 weeks or so absolutely beasting myself. Steady progress is the name of the game. 

The injury has really taken it out of me, still not 100%

Going to take it easy for a wee while yet.

It's amazing how quickly you lose it.

Running off the agenda for the next month sadly. Was out on a run last night and when I put my foot down at one point there was a crack and a sudden explosion of pain. Went to A&E this morning and I have some sort of minor fracture - normally treated like ligament damage and nothing serious but enough to keep me out for four to six weeks 😬

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Running off the agenda for the next month sadly. Was out on a run last night and when I put my foot down at one point there was a crack and a sudden explosion of pain. Went to A&E this morning and I have some sort of minor fracture - normally treated like ligament damage and nothing serious but enough to keep me out for four to six weeks 😬

Know the feeling, tore my calf the other week! I’ve to look on the bright side as A&E initially thought I’d possibly ruptured my achilles 😂😂

On 15/02/2022 at 13:24, Stu said:

Ouch! Here's to a swift recovery.

I rested myself this week after a slight hamstring niggle, but was back at parkrun this morning. Headed down to Dean Castle in Kilmarnock for a slushy, rainy run.

In the conditions time was irrelevant. Was glad I had a change of clothes (but no shoes, oops) & that the cafe was right at the finish line!

I rested myself this week after a slight hamstring niggle, but was back at parkrun this morning. Headed down to Dean Castle in Kilmarnock for a slushy, rainy run.
In the conditions time was irrelevant. Was glad I had a change of clothes (but no shoes, oops) & that the cafe was right at the finish line!

I went for a run at the other end of Kilmarnock this morning and you wouldn’t have had a clue it had snowed/hailed at the Dean Park side of town.

21 hours ago, morrison said:

Aye it's a pain in the arse. Was meant to be doing some races over the next few weeks - first since the pandemic started.

Only positive is it means I don't have to motivate myself to go out in the shit weather. So sore I can't even go for a walk.

Some good news at least - I've got a place in the Great North Run.

Anyone whose done it before got some advice on where to stay, or even when and where the start is, so I can avoid being completely ripped off for a hotel?!

I done the GNR few years back. Was very lucky that the wife got a corporate entry so free hotel stay and also a spot right in the front pen. So can’t comment on what it’s like in a pen at the back but have heard it can take a while to get over the start line 

the start line is up near Exhibition Park on the motorway. Most people walk up towards it on the morning.

It’s not my favourite course I’ve done but the support is incredible. The last mile down the seafront is amazing too.