The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Yeah, I liked the declaration move. It's a move that Cook wouldn't have made, and for me that was his big weakness as captain.

You have to give credit to the West Indies, who have batted fantastically.

Yep, it's not as if England were chucking pies, they bowled very well last night and for most of today. Think the percentage thing on Sky gave the Windies a 2% chance of winning before they started this innings.

I think it's the result this summer needed tbh. There have been so many test matches recently in England where after day 1 you are fairly certain who is going to win. Great to have a match like this where it was anything but.

Am I right in saying that this is the first match this summer where the team who batted first didn't win, and first where the team who lost the toss did win?

Something I did like was how quickly Root dismissed the question about whether he regretted declaring. He basically said that if he finds himself in that sort of situation again he would declare again, and that his regret from this match was the batting in the first innings. I think that's good to hear, I had a worry that this would make Root more conservative in the future. He wants to win test matches, not avoid losing test matches, which is refreshing.

There was someone on the BBC chat who said that Root's first priority as England captain is to get a draw in that match so that they wouldn't be able to lose the series. I have to say I'm personally thrilled Root doesn't share that view.

Something I did like was how quickly Root dismissed the question about whether he regretted declaring. He basically said that if he finds himself in that sort of situation again he would declare again, and that his regret from this match was the batting in the first innings. I think that's good to hear, I had a worry that this would make Root more conservative in the future. He wants to win test matches, not avoid losing test matches, which is refreshing.

There was someone on the BBC chat who said that Root's first priority as England captain is to get a draw in that match so that they wouldn't be able to lose the series. I have to say I'm personally thrilled Root doesn't share that view.

Couldn't agree more. Cook was a fantastic captain but he was to conservative in those positions