The Cricket Thread

bewlay

17 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

England in a pretty dominant position with the West Indies 137/6 at the close, and still requiring 33 runs to avoid the follow on. 

My club game went ahead today, 5 overs and 3 wickets for me, happy days.

IMG_20200725_132228.thumb.jpg.cd8dd524d03daf7cd7c55a52288a363a.jpg

It's great to be back.

Imagine facing a bowling attack of Courtney Walsh, Jimmy Anderson, Curtley Ambrose & Stuart Broad in their mid 30s. 

Dowrich and Holder stifled England for a while this morning, and dragged the Windies past the follow on target. Holder went almost immediately after that though and the last 4 wickets fell for 19 runs, with Broad taking 6-31. Windies 197 all out.

England lead by 172.download.jpg

Just now, peasy23 said:

Dowrich and Holder stifled England for a while this morning, and dragged the Windies past the follow on target. Holder went almost immediately after that though and the last 4 wickets fell for 19 runs, with Broad taking 6-31. Windies 197 all out.

England lead by 172.download.jpg

Just a question of how long England want to bat before declaring.  This is going exactly like the previous test.  And it looks like Holder might have broken a finger in the slips.

Just a question of how long England want to bat before declaring.  This is going exactly like the previous test.  And it looks like Holder might have broken a finger in the slips.
Yep, that looked a sore one. England can bat out today and declare overnight, they will have way more than enough runs in hand and give themselves 2 full days to bowl the Windies out just in case the Manchester weather does it's best to force a draw.

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
10 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yep, that looked a sore one. England can bat out today and declare overnight, they will have way more than enough runs in hand and give themselves 2 full days to bowl the Windies out just in case the Manchester weather does it's best to force a draw.

Weather Forecast for tomorrow is none to promising, hopefully there will be a result 

So I see Joshua Da Silva is behind the stumps.  What rule change allows that?   Is it a coronavirus regulation, or is a change that is not usually used?  Had a thought it might be a concussion substitution, but it could just be England being nice.  Always a bit odd to see a white guy with a West Indian accent.

Edit: interesting fact: of all the runs Alistair Cook scored in his career, not one was on live terrestrial television.  I guess it’s not *that* surprising, but that’s an awful lot of runs.

Edited by Savage Henry

19 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

TMS talking about a 400 lead, that's madness. No need to bat that long and brings the risk of the weather affecting the result into play.

Yup.  I suspect they’ve got enough already, but another hundred will do nicely.

11 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

Any time I had figures like that it tended to be 5-0-63-3 as the other team were giving it humpity against my dross.

3-19 were my figures. Tbh I thought I'd conceded more than that.

All going very well for England. Even with a day expected to be lost tomorrow, I don't expect this to last beyond tea on Tuesday.

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

All going very well for England. Even with a day expected to be lost tomorrow, I don't expect this to last beyond tea on Tuesday.

Tomorrow is not looking good but like you say should be done & dusted by about 3pm on Tuesday.

Thought they should have declared a wee bit earlier to give the Windies 10-12 overs to face rather than just 6. No way the Windies are going to chase down 389, all down to the weather now.

Broad took 6 wickets in 7 overs for 22 runs today. 
Some of the balls he was delivering were unplayable. He can be an annoying shit, but when it clicks for him its unreal. 
He's made a clear effort to distance himself from the broad/Anderson chat, and wants to be seen in his own light.

He's considerably younger, and when he's on it he's absolutely devastating. Dropping him seems to have fired him up.

Undropable now, surely.

There was a test event carried out at the Oval yesterday with 1000 spectators allowed in to see Surrey take on Middlesex. That went very well, so crowds of 2500 will be allowed in to the Oval and Edgbaston this weekend for the opening matches of the Bob Willis trophy.

Crowd pilot schemes at The Oval & Edgbaston for Bob Willis Trophy - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53556161