The Cricket Thread

bewlay

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Amazed they overturned that. Very difficult to tell if it was pad or bat first.  different angles contradicted each other.  Batsmen is supposed to get benefit of the doubt though.

Presuming this is the Root one, I think they got it wrong. There needs to be clear evidence to overturn the on field decision, which I didn't think there was. It's consistent with the Stokes catch, though.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Also the third umpiring is a disgrace. Clearly snicko picks up 2 sounds there yet it's given out. No way that was conclusive

Again, presuming this was the Foakes one. It wasn't conclusive, the on field decision was out, so the correct decision was made.

4 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Presuming this is the Root one, I think they got it wrong. There needs to be clear evidence to overturn the on field decision, which I didn't think there was. It's consistent with the Stokes catch, though.

Again, presuming this was the Foakes one. It wasn't conclusive, the on field decision was out, so the correct decision was made.

Not for LBW.  For LBW the third umpire essentially re-umpires the decision with the aid of technology.  The third umpire has to decide with a high degree of confidence that the ball hit the pad first.  He clearly couldn't do that in this instance.

23 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

That was out for me, there is a delay between the bails breaking & the lights going on, 3rd Umpire is giving them excuses here.

Just checked the playing conditions.  They explicitly state of you're using LED wickets then the wicket is deemed down in the first frame the lights are illuminated.  Looks like one of the decisions may not have been so iffy.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Just checked the playing conditions.  They explicitly state of you're using LED wickets then the wicket is deemed down in the first frame the lights are illuminated.  Looks like one of the decisions may not have been so iffy.

In that case the decision was correct.

The pitch wasn't great, however it's India's prerogative to prepare a pitch which suits them. They have a strong spin attack, and England are utterly shit at playing spin, so India will prepare a pitch accordingly. England invariably prepare their own test pitches to suit swing. I know there have been previous discussions about "neutral pitches" across all test playing countries (usually after an England clusterfuck somewhere) but I think that would detract from test cricket and sterilise it somewhat.

The game was over for England as soon as they lost it mewling about Stokes' "catch". They pretty much gave up after that.

Absolute scenes if India prepare an absolute fucking road for the next one and win the toss.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Not for LBW.  For LBW the third umpire essentially re-umpires the decision with the aid of technology.  The third umpire has to decide with a high degree of confidence that the ball hit the pad first.  He clearly couldn't do that in this instance.

I hadn't appreciated that. In which case, I agree.

38 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The pitch wasn't great, however it's India's prerogative to prepare a pitch which suits them. They have a strong spin attack, and England are utterly shit at playing spin, so India will prepare a pitch accordingly. England invariably prepare their own test pitches to suit swing. I know there have been previous discussions about "neutral pitches" across all test playing countries (usually after an England clusterfuck somewhere) but I think that would detract from test cricket and sterilise it somewhat.

The game was over for England as soon as they lost it mewling about Stokes' "catch". They pretty much gave up after that.

Absolute scenes if India prepare an absolute fucking road for the next one and win the toss.

It is, but within certain parameters. The first test since the 30s with only 2 players scoring over 30 runs, and the shortest completed test match since the second world war, suggests that there wasn't exactly an even contest between bat and ball. It is, of course, the same for both sides, and India deserved to win. But that's not test match cricket, and pitches like that should not be used,

Hope England go away from the norm and prepare proper green tops in the reverse series in the summer, tbh.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I hadn't appreciated that. In which case, I agree.

It is, but within certain parameters. The first test since the 30s with only 2 players scoring over 30 runs, and the shortest completed test match since the second world war, suggests that there wasn't exactly an even contest between bat and ball. It is, of course, the same for both sides, and India deserved to win. But that's not test match cricket, and pitches like that should not be used,

Hope England go away from the norm and prepare proper green tops in the reverse series in the summer, tbh.

Of course they will. It's what all hosting nations do tbh. In fact many of the commentators howling at today's result were literally begging for last summer's Ashes pitches to be tailored even more than they already were to Broad and Anderson's swing. 

Aggers timing is sensational though. After his childish mewling about the previous pitch, he'd literally posted in the BBC live about this pitch being much better almost minutes before wickets started falling all over the place. 

The pitch wasn't great, however it's India's prerogative to prepare a pitch which suits them.

Largely I agree with you. But in this instance this pitch didn't really suit either team. Having a test match in which a conclusion is reached after a total of 377 runs being scored over 4 innings and completed inside 2 days raises massive red flags over something being amiss. Let's not forget, India are ranked 2 and England 4 in the world. This isn't Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe or one of the 2nd tier sides playing a test for the first time.

Largely I agree with you. But in this instance this pitch didn't really suit either team. Having a test match in which a conclusion is reached after a total of 377 runs being scored over 4 innings and completed inside 2 days raises massive red flags over something being amiss. Let's not forget, India are ranked 2 and England 4 in the world. This isn't Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe or one of the 2nd tier sides playing a test for the first time.
When Joe Root suddenly looks as dangerous as peak Warne you know something has gone awry with the pitch.

That doesn't excuse how poor some of England's batting was, showed up how clueless some of them are against spin.

First time Anderson and Broad have played together without either of them taking a wicket, although they also bowled the fewest number of overs they ever have combined.

36 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Obviously he is biased, but a pretty fair comment from Nathan Lyon.Screenshot_20210228-093720_Twitter.jpg

Cannot be doing with him, overrated irritant of a man & second only to Warner in the mongrel w****r stakes. Was giving it plenty after Australia bowled India out for 36 on a mad seamer but seemed to shut up not long after that for some reason.

First ever Afghanistan* - Zimbabwe test match starting on Free Sports tomorrow early doors** if anybody's up and about.
* Being played in Dubai
** 6am
Probably not worth making plans to watch it on Friday, 14 wickets fallen after 2 and a bit sessions. 
Easy win for Zimbabwe with Afghanistan making just 131 and 135 in their two innings. Zimbabwe needed just 17 to win in their second innings, and knocked them off inside 4 overs for a 10 wicket win. Whole match was less than 170 overs.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Easy win for Zimbabwe with Afghanistan making just 131 and 135 in their two innings. Zimbabwe needed just 17 to win in their second innings, and knocked them off inside 4 overs for a 10 wicket win. Whole match was less than 170 overs.

England should offer the Afghanistan batting coach a role in their set up with totals as high as that