The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Thought they were going to f**k it up again.

Ignoring the shite catching and wicket-keeping, they could easily be 3-0 up in this series if it wasn't for brainless bowling/batting.

Said it already but Woakes & Wood just being proper cricketers won that for England there, fair play to Brook as well though as I have had a go at him for numbnuttedness this Summer but that was a good knock.

England will have a harder time forcing a win at Old Trafford imo. Jimmeh's home ground, but I'd honestly think about bringing Tongue back instead, or sticking with Robinson if he recovers from the spasms. OT suits the Aussie attack far more than Headingley.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

England will have a harder time forcing a win at Old Trafford imo. Jimmeh's home ground, but I'd honestly think about bringing Tongue back instead, or sticking with Robinson if he recovers from the spasms. OT suits the Aussie attack far more than Headingley.

It's also a batter's pitch - if the Aussies win the toss they will bat first. Not so sure England will.

16 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Thought they were going to f**k it up again.

Ignoring the shite catching and wicket-keeping, they could easily be 3-0 up in this series if it wasn't for brainless bowling/batting.

Yup. Two really equal teams. 

Edit:  Mark Wood seems like a really good bloke.  Aggers: how will you spend the next week?  Wood: probably playing with dinosaurs.  

Edit: so does, disappointingly, Pat Cummins.  

Edited by Savage Henry

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Yup. Two really equal teams. 

Edit:  Mark Wood seems like a really good bloke.  Aggers: how will you spend the next week?  Wood: probably playing with dinosaurs.  

Edit: so does, disappointingly, Pat Cummins.  

Wood’s podcast that he does with Miles Jupp (Middle please, umpire) is well with a listen. He really is a top bloke.

England deserved that. There has been some daft cricket at points, but this is shaping up to be an all time classic Ashes series, tbh. Hopefully I get to watch England winning the 4th test (day 4 & 5 tickets, could do with some traditional Manchester rain over the first couple of days) in a couple of weeks time.

I would bring in Foakes and Tongue in place of Bairstow and Robinson for the next one. I’d also bring in Lawrence for Moeen but there’s no chance that’s happening. 

No sure you can really call any series an 'all time classic' when a lot of the cricket played has been shockingly poor. It's entertaining enough, but moronic captaincy, brainless bowling, dropped catches galore, and idiots throwing their wickets away isn't really indicative of two quality teams going at it hammer and tongs.

It's a bit weird seeing 'World Test Champions' Australia only just overcoming this England side, but I think they are suffering a bit from being dragged down by a mediocre opponent. England definitely get a bigger 'Home' boost playing at Headingley than they do somewhere like Lord's, and I think that is a factor in narrowing the gap, but for all the slagging England have had for being poor I also think Australia have performed far below their best in this series to date.

Reminds me of the '81 series a bit, in the respect that the 1981 Ashes also contained a whole heap of shitey cricket, truth be told, but that's also regarded as a 'classic' because people only really remember it for the good bits and not the bad, so god knows. 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I think these are two really good teams.  It could easily be 3-0 Australia, 3-0 England, 1-1, or any combination of scores.  

I do think England should be docked a match for Stuart Broad’s bucket hat though. 

Both teams have tough selection decisions to make.

After Stokes persuading Moeen to return, he has been pretty much a disaster. It's not just that his total of 63 runs has been poor, it's been the manner of some of his dismissals too. Bairstow has been poor with the gloves and with the bat. No doubt as the next test is at Old Trafford there will be a clamour to bring Anderson back, but he hadn't bowled that well and Tongue is every bit as worthy of a recall. 

Warner seems to be finally coming under pressure from the Aussie media after 3 years of very average form, while Boland is also under scrutiny. After taking 5-105 in the WTC final, he's taken just 2-231 in the two tests he has played. Michael Neser being touted to come in for him.

Both teams have guys in Woakes and Marsh who came in for the 3rd test who they can't possibly drop for the next one.

19 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Duckett

Crawley

Moeen

Root

Brook

Stokes

Foakes

Woakes

Wood

Broad

Tongue

I would imagine it’ll be very close to that, but with Anderson playing ahead of Tongue, and fatty behind the stumps for some unknown reason. 

15 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Unchanged England squad for the 4th Test. It's like they are deliberately trying to throw it at this point.

Not sure who they are overlooking, to be fair.  It’s just a question of who the third quick and the number three will be.  

At a ground like Headingley you can almost understand it, because batsmen are never truly in, it tends to be a low scoring place, so if your keeper puts down an edge you figure that you'll probably get the guy soon enough anyway.

At OT I think it's a given that Bairstow will shell someone on single figures who then goes on to get a big ton. Also, OT being far easier on batters waters down somewhat the Bairstow >>> Foakes case because of Bairstow's bat.

Momentum might have shifted a bit in the series, but I still think England have shat any chance at all they had of taking the Ashes. The two places I thought they could get a result were Edgbaston and Headingley, with the outside chance that they might be able to skittle the Aussies at Lord's. I can't see them forcing two positive results at OT and the Oval.

19 year old Somerset wicketkeeper/batsman James Rew scored 221 against Hampshire in the County Championship today. It's his 5th ton plus score of the season and he is on to 952 runs, averaging 73.23, and he is now leading scorer in the first division. 

13 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Any idea if official resale tickets are likely to be available for the first four days of the old Trafford match, had a look online and the only tickets available are day 5 standing and I wasn't really wanting day 5 in case it doesn't get that far. 

Unlikely. It was a ballot for tickets and if you didn’t get through that you went on a waiting list, so I assume official resales are through that. We could only get day 4 & 5 tickets, so I’m hoping for some rain on days 1-3!

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

19 year old Somerset wicketkeeper/batsman James Rew scored 221 against Hampshire in the County Championship today. It's his 5th ton plus score of the season and he is on to 952 runs, averaging 73.23, and he is now leading scorer in the first division. 

One for the near future hopefully.

Unbelievable decision to keep bairstow for next test.  I'm convinced Stokes would turn down Gilchrist at his peak in favour of his mate.