The Cricket Thread

bewlay

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Bear in mind that I am a Killie supporter, how on earth can a team be continually so inept & incompetent & fail at every crucial juncture, its almost like a reverse superpower.

Absolutely no mental application, or appreciation for the subtleties of long-format cricket. The only thing they know is slogging it out of the ground on absolute roads. That's the generation that grew up on T20 for you.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

How close do we think this is going to go?

I think this pair need to get them within 20 to have any chance, because Broad is a bunny these days, Wood has a good eye but can't defend decent balls, and Robinson is crippled.

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The fact he's a batsman by trade, not a keeper, and they are still having to try and hide him down at #7 says it all.

I know it is County Cricket but Ben Foakes does ok batting at 5 or 6 for Surrey. I like Bairstow but its just not happening for him atm with the extra pace Australia have.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think this pair need to get them within 20 to have any chance, because Broad is a bunny these days, Wood has a good eye but can't defend decent balls, and Robinson is crippled.

TBH, I'd enjoy something along the lines of the 2nd (IIRC?) Test in 2005, with the final wicket dropping 2 runs short

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Bairstow needs binned

The reasoning he is picked ahead of Foakes is supposedly because he will score runs, apart from the 78 he scored in the first test he has produced little, but has made enough mistakes behind the stumps that could potentially have changed the outcome of the first 2 matches. 

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

Don't underestimate Woakes. He's a hugely gutsy cricketer. 

Aus heavy favourites for me, but England have made heavy weather of this.

Chris Woakes is their last hope, a nonsense that he has been ignored up til now. As Mark Wood will be broken for the rest of the year now, it wont matter anyway, Australia will win it next week even if the Brummie Botham gets England over the line here.

Keep saying this, but that 'Win predictor' is ridiculous. 

Can only assume it's based on statistical probability going by previous outcomes, rather than the far more relevant and pertinent 'what's actually going on out in the middle'.

10 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Don't underestimate Woakes. He's a hugely gutsy cricketer. 

Aus heavy favourites for me, but England have made heavy weather of this.

If he goes it would probably need Woods hitting a quick 20 or 30 like he did the other day for England to win.

Also don't forget Brook - if he can stay solid they still have a chance.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Cummins' refusal to use the spinner is odd. Happy to watch Boland run in and bowl over after over of dung, but won't give the offie a go when there's clearly a bit of odd bounce on the go and the ball has come of the shoulder of Woakes' bat twice. Like Taylor said, it gets to the point in the game where it's too late to chuck the ball to the spinner, and that's round about now.

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

Cummins' refusal to use the spinner is odd. Happy to watch Boland run in and bowl over after over of dung, but won't give the offie a go when there's clearly a bit of odd bounce on the go and the ball has come of the shoulder of Woakes' bat twice. Like Taylor said, it gets to the point in the game where it's too late to chuck the ball to the spinner, and that's round about now.

He'll get an over just before Tea.

27 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Keep saying this, but that 'Win predictor' is ridiculous. 

Can only assume it's based on statistical probability going by previous outcomes, rather than the far more relevant and pertinent 'what's actually going on out in the middle'.

England 1/8 right now to win on Bet 365.

Australia 6/1.