The Cricket Thread

bewlay

42 minutes ago, Donathan said:

In both cases we are the only match on that ground on that day (Goldenacre for Austria on Tuesday and the Grange for Denmark on Wednesday). With the game due to start at 10.30am and finish around 2pm, does that mean that they'll give it the entire day before declaring a no result? If it dries up in the afternoon do they still play?

Reason I ask is because the Grange has two games on Tuesday (10.30am and 3.30pm) and Goldenacre has two on Wednesday so if the morning is washed out and the afternoon is dry, the early game would have to be abandoned. Not sure if that would mean our games would also need to be abandoned in the interests of competitive fairness.

Not entirely sure what the weather protocols are tbh. It would seem slightly unfair if we get to play later in the afternoon by virtue of the fact that there’s no second match at our grounds on Tues and Thurs, if, say, Germany v Ireland is washed out in the early session at Goldenacre on Thurs, with Italy v Austria playable later in the afternoon. 

Our game v Denmark at the Grange is on Thursday btw, and Thursday’s forecast is looking particularly grim atm (60-70% chance of rain all day until 5.00pm according to BBC Weather app).

Today in WDCU news, the 100th Rowan Cup final (showpiece T20 tournament in the West) at Hamilton Crescent was abandoned after 2 overs for player safety. Seems after an over and a half of playing low and slow one popped off a length and rattled the Prestwick opener on the helmet.

Bit of a shambles, really, seeing as West have had a number of report of poor pitches against them this season, as well as not having a groundsman in place for the most part of this term. Wonder how they managed to get such a big final?

EDIT: Frogbox footage of the offending delivery. https://twitter.com/pwick_cricket/status/1683091591102070786?s=46&t=hjl4J7jANZv_oV0hm7UjTw

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

18 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

And it's all over in the Ashes with the match at Old Trafford abandoned. England made a right arse of it in the first two tests imo.

Some have said this has been a great series - but a lot of that can be put down to poor play and decisions by both teams.

Ultimately England blew their chance to beat an Aussie team that did not play anywhere near their best.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Some have said this has been a great series - but a lot of that can be put down to poor play and decisions by both teams.

Ultimately England blew their chance to beat an Aussie team that did not play anywhere near their best.

Do you think the declaration on the very first day cost England dearly? 

Australia won by just two wickets AND fairly late on day 5 so even if England had managed to bat for another hour or so and maybe added 30 runs, they could have salvaged at least a draw if not won outright. Even if they’d drawn it’d be winner take all at the oval. 

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Definitely. The matches have been exciting but a lot of that has been down to some dreadful cricket from both sides.

Thought over the first two tests England lost at least half a dozen needless wickets from some terrible shot making decisions. The Aussies then reciprocated by doing the same in the next two tests, with the weather undoubtedly saving them this time.

As I posted earlier, I still think the ludicrous first innings declaration in the first test cost England at least a draw in that match.

Just now, Donathan said:

Australia won by just two wickets AND fairly late on day 5 so even if England had managed to bat for another hour or so and maybe added 30 runs, they could have salvaged at least a draw if not won outright. Even if they’d drawn it’d be winner take all at the oval. 

Imo it definitely cost them at least a draw.

It’s been a great series as we have two very very good groups of players being very very stupid at times.  Exactly what you want.

This test has been a bit of a damp squib with a draw happening purely due to weather but I’m still looking forward to the oval as aussies will want the win and England will want to show they should have the victory without weather

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

This is it for me. If I remember correctly there was 7 overs left in the day and by declaring they lost 3 and got to bowl 4 overs that first evening. Effectively if they'd batted to close they had the chance for extra runs in those 7 overs and they could have declared overnight. I could have got more onboard with it if they had already scored 450+, if Root had been out or the weather conditions had been really favourable to Anderson and Broad's swing bowling, but none of those were the case. I honestly think it was hubris without any really thought to the game situation, which is perhaps the core tenant of Bazball (which I think is brilliant btw) but it opened the door to the Aussie's and indeed a draw there and it's still all to play for.

Of course, easy to say in hindsight and everything probably plays out differently but that declaration was a big mistake IMO, and honestly makes little difference to forcing a result or making it a more exciting match. A 5th test decider would have been even more exciting and got people interested...

15 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

This is it for me. If I remember correctly there was 7 overs left in the day and by declaring they lost 3 and got to bowl 4 overs that first evening. Effectively if they'd batted to close they had the chance for extra runs in those 7 overs and they could have declared overnight. I could have got more onboard with it if they had already scored 450+, if Root had been out or the weather conditions had been really favourable to Anderson and Broad's swing bowling, but none of those were the case. I honestly think it was hubris without any really thought to the game situation, which is perhaps the core tenant of Bazball (which I think is brilliant btw) but it opened the door to the Aussie's and indeed a draw there and it's still all to play for.

Of course, easy to say in hindsight and everything probably plays out differently but that declaration was a big mistake IMO, and honestly makes little difference to forcing a result or making it a more exciting match. A 5th test decider would have been even more exciting and got people interested...

It’s easy to say with hindsight but I assume the thinking would have been that England much preferred to open day 2 with the Aussies 15/1 or even 18/2 than an overnight declaration or being bowled out right at the end or first thing next morning. They obviously wanted to give their bowlers a crack at the Aussies.

Wrong decision but I think that was the thinking behind it. 

Well I'd just like to say GIRFUY to the English Cricket team tbh. The build up to this and all that utterly cringe "Bazball" chat is deserving  of nothing less than the wee wooden urn heading off back down under. 

That and their reaction, including the auld gimp members at Lords, to Bairstows mental lapse makes them deserving losers tbh. 

Edited by Bairnardo

11 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It’s easy to say with hindsight but I assume the thinking would have been that England much preferred to open day 2 with the Aussies 15/1 or even 18/2 than an overnight declaration or being bowled out right at the end or first thing next morning. They obviously wanted to give their bowlers a crack at the Aussies.

Wrong decision but I think that was the thinking behind it. 

Oh I’m sure that was the thinking, but it just seems pretty stupid with all the other variables around it.

(Know you weren’t saying otherwise btw!)

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Not a huge cricket fan but why do they bother stopping at all when it rains? Apart from cricket and tennis, every other sport just gets on with it 

Can't play with a soaking wet ball, and the pitch becomes unplayable anaw. Same in Baseball. They stop the moment there is any sort of standing water or when the rain becomes heavy enough it is impossible to keep the ball dry. Also a player safety issue. Even when it's bone dry its not unusual to slip on your arse when you are turning to come back for a second run. In drizzle it happens constantly, and there's a real danger of broken ankles/legs/hips. I saw a guy dislocate his hip and have to be taken away by ambulance batting in bone-dry conditions, it's a nightmare when there's a bit of dampness around because the strip is usually cut really short, then you have longer, slippier grass on either side.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Today in WDCU news, the 100th Rowan Cup final (showpiece T20 tournament in the West) at Hamilton Crescent was abandoned after 2 overs for player safety. Seems after an over and a half of playing low and slow one popped off a length and rattled the Prestwick opener on the helmet.

Bit of a shambles, really, seeing as West have had a number of report of poor pitches against them this season, as well as not having a groundsman in place for the most part of this term. Wonder how they managed to get such a big final?

EDIT: Frogbox footage of the offending delivery. https://twitter.com/pwick_cricket/status/1683091591102070786?s=46&t=hjl4J7jANZv_oV0hm7UjTw

15 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Not a huge cricket fan but why do they bother stopping at all when it rains? Apart from cricket and tennis, every other sport just gets on with it 

The above is conveniently timed to answer the question. I’m not saying moisture is what caused the issues at West today, but that’s a good demonstration of an unsafe pitch, and water getting on to the wicket can cause an unsafe pitch. 

Has that Rowan Cup always been a T20 tournament? AFAIK T20 has only been a popular format worldwide in the 21st century so if so, it’s genuinely impressive that we devised a shortened form of cricket a long time before it became globally popular.