The Cricket Thread

bewlay

There is no way England will enforce the follow on. Plan must be to get this last wicket asap, score 300+ and still have plenty of time to bowl out the Aussies.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

No chance at all of a follow on.

England didn't enforce it with New Zealand in the last series and they won't enforce it here. Their policy is never to enfore the FO.

No chance at all of a follow on.

England didn't enforce it with New Zealand in the last series and they won't enforce it here. Their policy is never to enfore the FO.

HB, seeing as I have no knowledge of cricket tactics can you (or others) explain why not? I'd like to learn.

HB, seeing as I have no knowledge of cricket tactics can you (or others) explain why not? I'd like to learn.

Essentially there's far too much time left in the game- the modern theory which England subscribe to is that by not following on and piling up runs you give your bowlers a rest and take the possibility of a defeat out of the equation.

I think a team following on has only ever won 4 times in the history of the game (famously England vs Australia in 1981 and India vs Australia in 2001) but Australia did come close in 2005 vs England but it can happen and no-one really likes chasing 150 or so on the last day when you can leave the opposition chasing 500 or more which is pretty demoralising.

The only reason a team would follow on again in general now is if there's been a rain delay and time is a bit tighter- in the days when teams scored at 2 runs an over enforcing the follow on tended to be a lot more common.

Edited by Fuctifano

With the wicket that it is, to enforce a follow on would be silly. A few overs tonight to bat, then pile on a big lead tomorrow, and 2 days to skittle out Australia on a deteriorating wicket is a no brainer

Essentially there's far too much time left in the game- the modern theory which England subscribe to is that by not following on and piling up runs you give your bowlers a rest and take the possibility of a defeat out of the equation.

Good posts, you two. Thanks. While composing this I hear that Australia are out and England are in to bat. Hope the Aussies bowl well.