The Cricket Thread

bewlay

24 minutes ago, btb said:

They're gonna be unbearable if they come back to win 3-2.

How many gongs and at what level?

Sir Ben Stokes, Lord Stokesy of Bazball - I need a drink, maybe even more than one!

Honestly, I think this about the most likeable England team in a while.  

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Honestly, I think this is about the most likeable England team in a while.  

I'm assuming you missed out is  and while I kinda agree with you it's the fans with typewriters (or whatever the current term should be) who churn out headlines like

Stuart Broad reveals the down under cricket legends who inspired him to torture Australia in the Ashes

that will be impossible to avoid that I dread.

22 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I find Stuart Broad quite unlikeable in a way that I can't articulate. 

This is very true.  He’s too posh to be a hard man. 

21 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

He's the most English person, just ahead of Harry Kane.

A dinner party from hell that.  Just throw in Danny Dyer for the hat trick. 

18 minutes ago, btb said:

I'm assuming you missed out is  and while I kinda agree with you it's the fans with typewriters (or whatever the current term should be) who churn out headlines like

that will be impossible to avoid that I dread.

Indeed.  Cricket journalism used to be fantastic. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Australia's batters ought to be ashamed of themselves watching England notching up a scores like this. Just as well they didn't pick a team full of them, that would be embarrassing. 

They’ve been playing for the draw and hoping the weather helps.  Put it this way, England wouldn’t have done it.  At least this England wouldn’t.  

7 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Nasser discussing whether or not you try to bat Australia out of the game entirely, when this team could easily still be 320 all out from here. 😆

Reckon they have 3 overs to bowl them out if thats happening.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Australia look a lot like Strauss's England teams, where they'd trot in all day in Plan A mode, and if Plan A didn't work, they'd revert to even more Plan A.

I’d get Smith on at this point.  

Just now, Savage Henry said:

I’d get Smith on at this point.  

Daft thing is, they had Crawley sussed and were doing the right thing by bowling a yard outside off. He kept throwing the bat and nicking it, only Aus kept ball chasing and setting a field for the previous delivery. Just poor, unconvincing captaincy.

Yeah, Murphy is a strange one. Why bother taking him on tour if you select him but barely bowl him on a seamer's pitch, but then don't bother selecting him on the one English Test pitch that is known to be spinner-friendly?

This is the sort of nonsense thinking that plagued English teams for years. It's really un-Australian.