The Cricket Thread

bewlay

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m at home with a cracked rib.   Talksport’s coverage of this test is absolutely dire.  Any enjoyment I get from the action dissipates whenever Darren Gough comes on. 

It’s really poor. The way Gough & Harmison gush you’d think England were 3-0 up in this series. The last test at least David Lloyd made it bearable.

Someone needs to explain to me why England, in deep shit, are continuing to sweep and reverse sweep on a pitch that's turning square and riddled with variable bounce. Hard enough to hit the fucking thing playing the line properly. 

On 23/02/2024 at 09:39, Savage Henry said:

I’m at home with a cracked rib.   Talksport’s coverage of this test is absolutely dire.  Any enjoyment I get from the action dissipates whenever Darren Gough comes on. 

It's impossible to listen to it. Absolutely fucking awful. John Arlott should be spinning in his grave at what the art of cricket commentary has become with these guys on the mic.

1 minute ago, HTG said:

It's impossible to listen to it. Absolutely fucking awful. John Arlott should be spinning in his grave at what the art of cricket commentary has become with these guys on the mic.

TMS is generally excellent still.  As long as the BBC keeps getting the Ashes and home tests, we’re in good hands.  Agnew might be the best commentator of any sport in this club.  

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

TMS is generally excellent still.  As long as the BBC keeps getting the Ashes and home tests, we’re in good hands.  Agnew might be the best commentator of any sport in this club.  

Agreed although it gives you the fear to think about what's coming after Aggers. 

1 minute ago, HTG said:

Agreed although it gives you the fear to think about what's coming after Aggers. 

Right.  It’s not as good when he’s not on.  Likewise Sky minus Atherton. 

26 minutes ago, HTG said:

Someone needs to explain to me why England, in deep shit, are continuing to sweep and reverse sweep on a pitch that's turning square and riddled with variable bounce. Hard enough to hit the fucking thing playing the line properly. 

I know the ball.was turning, but to lose your last 7 wickets for 35 runs is criminal.

I like Root, have said often that he has been underused at times as a bowler, but why the f**k is he opening the bowling ahead of the guy who took a 5fer in the first innings?

192-5 - India win the Test and Series.

England didn't have the ability/technique to grind out 200-250 in their Second Innings (possibly a by-product of Bazball) and as mentioned the decision to open the bowling with Root last night was, erm, eccentric.

Edited by btb

On 25/02/2024 at 10:16, HTG said:

Because Bazball is all about switching off your brain and slogging regardless of circumstance.

Scotland make 215/8 against Canada in Dubai after having been put in to bat. Could have been more, could have been less. It looks to be about par, considering the scores in the UAE v Canada game the other day. 

3 ODI debuts for Scotland today, Scott and Brad Currie make their ODI debuts together (Brad has played T20s), and Andy Umeed also makes his ODI debut, having only represented Scotland in first class cricket in the old intercontinental cup against Afghanistan in 2015 previously. 

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Scotland make 215/8 against Canada in Dubai after having been put in to bat. Could have been more, could have been less. It looks to be about par, considering the scores in the UAE v Canada game the other day. 

3 ODI debuts for Scotland today, Scott and Brad Currie make their ODI debuts together (Brad has played T20s), and Andy Umeed also makes his ODI debut, having only represented Scotland in first class cricket in the old intercontinental cup against Afghanistan in 2015 previously. 

It was a long way under par. Canada win by 7 wickets with 9 overs and 3 balls remaining.

That’s a bad one. 

Spectacular setting for the final test, bit it will be a massive shock if it's not shortened by the weather. If they do play it will be like English conditions in the early stages of the County Championships with temperatures going to be low single digits.

Edited by peasy23