The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Been a great day of cricket this so far. England, on the whole, have batted well and JB looks in great nick - be great to see him build a proper innings instead of him needing to have a blast with the tail.

Currently 215/4

Also just found out that I have tickets in the Premium section for the 28th Dec at MCG - pretty much behind the bowler's arm with a bar right behind us. Helps to have a mate who is an AFL member!!

1 hour ago, Saigon Raider said:

Been a great day of cricket this so far. England, on the whole, have batted well and JB looks in great nick - be great to see him build a proper innings instead of him needing to have a blast with the tail.

Currently 215/4

Also just found out that I have tickets in the Premium section for the 28th Dec at MCG - pretty much behind the bowler's arm with a bar right behind us. Helps to have a mate who is an AFL member!!

Well, I didn't think I'd wake up to read that.

18 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

England's pop-gun bowling is very likely to be flogged on this pitch. 

It's amazing the pressure that having runs on the board can do, the first session tomorrow is absolutely massive and England have a real opportunity to turn the screw.

I must admit that I appear to have got it wrong with Malan, he has a lot of fight and that's great to see.

305/4   at the close.  Didn't see a single ball due to work, but it seems like that's England's day.  Or is the pitch dead?
Plenty of bounce in the pitch, Paine was having to dive all over the place behind the stumps and even a few good length balls got to him at head height. No swing or movement off the seam though, and England's batsmen did really well for the most part to fend off a barrage of short stuff, especially after lunch. New ball is only 8 overs old heading into day 2, so if England can get through the next 15 overs or so then they could go on to post a really big score with Moeen and Woakes still to come. Bairstow looked a lot more comfortable with a proper batsman up the other end.

They had Justin Langer on as a guest around half four last night when I was finishing work, he's an absolute p***k btw. The commentary has been so-so on BT, the major surprise probably being that Ricky Ponting is actually quite a fair commentator, probably aware of his audience though. I do miss Michael Holdings obvious distaste for the short game and Bumble's rambling commentary though. 

Overton out and Broad brings up the 400 with a six.   403 all out.
Disappointing last half hour but lets see how England Bowl, a massive session coming up.
I'm away to bed.

Stokes bat is a huge loss from this lineup.

That score should be competitive, but yet again it looks far short of what it should have been.

That score should be competitive, but yet again it looks far short of what it should have been.

It's a decent total but you have to score more than 35 for the last 6 wickets. Should be 450+. Decent spell from Overton, Aussies 88-2 at tea. Smith looks comfortable but Khawaja is shitting bricks, especially when he is facing Moeen.

26 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It's a decent total but you have to score more than 35 for the last 6 wickets. Should be 450+. Decent spell from Overton, Aussies 88-2 at tea. Smith looks comfortable but Khawaga is shitting bricks, especially when he us facing Moeen.

Yup.  400 is always a good total in a test, but from where they were....   still, a couple more wickets today and England are well on top.

Craig Overton appears to be injured in the chest/rib area - physio called out and he recovers to finish the over.

Replaced by Woakes - 14 overs left today so I guess England's plan will be to protect Overton for the rest of the day and hope he's fit to resume bowling tomorrow. 

Close of Play - Australia 203/3 exactly 200 behind.

Old cliché but there seemed to be two different games going on in that final session, one when Smith was batting and another when Khawaja/Marsh were. I'd have England marginally ahead but Australia are strong favourites on betting sites obviously on the grounds that England didn't manage to play consistently good cricket in either of the first two Tests and also their batting collapse earlier today - so probably justified.

Edited by btb