The Cricket Thread

bewlay

So, to help my understanding, England play tonight until light stops play and then face 90 overs tomorrow?
Outcomes are: 
Aussies bowl them out within 90 overs - win for Australia.
England score 398 within the 90 overs - win for England
England aren't bowled out within the 90 overs - draw.
Amirite?

Or England could score 397 all out, which would result in a tie (not a draw) which has only happened twice (IIRC) in test history.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

So, to help my understanding, England play tonight until light stops play and then face 90 overs tomorrow?

Outcomes are: 

Aussies bowl them out within 90 overs - win for Australia.
England score 398 within the 90 overs - win for England
England aren't bowled out within the 90 overs - draw.

Amirite?

There is supposed to be 90 overs in a day with overs taken off for innings changes. England had 7 overs to bat out tonight which they have done without loss. Tomorrow they should have 90 overs to bat out unless they lose time to light or rain delays. The umpires can give Australia (or England) an extra half hour on the last day if they think they are close enough to a result. 

Id say Australia are clear favourites to win the match but its not guaranteed. The pitch is spinning but it does not seem to be misbehaving with variable bounce\lots of cracks so England have the talent to ride their luck and bat the day out. 

Edited by dorlomin

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Or England could score 397 all out, which would result in a tie (not a draw) which has only happened twice (IIRC) in test history.

Oh FFS Salvo.  So there's no chance of a '503 Service Unavailable' error to stop a score being posted as happened to you on the quiz thread?

6 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

There is supposed to be 90 overs in a day with over taken off for innings changes. England had 7 overs to bat out tonight which they have done without loss. Tomorrow they should have 90 overs to bat out unless they lose time to light or rain delays. The umpires can give Australia (or England) an extra half hour on the last day if they think they are close enough to a result. 

Id say Australia are clear favourites to win the match but its not guaranteed. The pitch is spinning but it does not seem to be misbehaving with variable bounce\lots of cracks so England have the talent to ride their luck and bat the day out. 

I don't think they can give the extra half hour on the last day, England have 90 overs to survive- theoretically the Aussies could bowl spin at both ends all day sneak an extra couple in.

If it stays dry Australia will win with a couple of hours to spare I think.

Guest Moomintroll

Weather is looking good for Edgbaston tomorrow, so weather won't save them. Expect a lot of overs from Lyon as it will turn sharply when it hits the right spot, cannot see this batting line up have the technique & watchfulness to survive 90 overs on a 5th day pitch, Andersons injury was absolutely pivotal in this match.

Weather is looking good for Edgbaston tomorrow, so weather won't save them. Expect a lot of overs from Lyon as it will turn sharply when it hits the right spot, cannot see this batting line up have the technique & watchfulness to survive 90 overs on a 5th day pitch, Andersons injury was absolutely pivotal in this match.

Rain overnight and up to midday. Leaves two three hour sessions. I suspect you might be right.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

Its turning but not inconsistently. All match, wickets go cheap but those who can bat themselves in go big. The pitch does not appear to have broken up so the quicks are not getting inconsistent bounce. If anything it has slowed up so you can pick your shots. Weather is set fair for the early overs so there will not be some crazy swing. Kill the new ball, farm the strike so Lyon mostly faces the rights, milk singles. England have a very realistic survival strategy here. This is not done and dusted, its about executing an obvious plan and riding some luck. 

England should try an interesting concept of not boo’ing Smith.

I think by the end of this series, he’s going to find a little redemption from the Barmy Army.

The other pair, on the other hand, look a bit shaken by the crowd reaction.

Moeen has been shite with bat and ball for what seems like an eternity. Why are they persisting with him? He's carrying about as much threat as a three week old kitten.
He wouldn't be in my team for the 2nd test. But, he was the top wicket taker in the world last year - so not quite an eternity.

He wouldn't be in my team for the 2nd test. But, he was the top wicket taker in the world last year - so not quite an eternity.

I’m certain more convinced by him at 8 than Woakes. I don’t think there’s an alternative without significantly lengthening the tail. I’d keep him for the second test. He’s also England’s best spin bowler, which probably says a lot about the rest, but still.

He has a chance to bat himself into the team for the rest of the series today.

Guest Moomintroll

I think by the end of this series, he’s going to find a little redemption from the Barmy Army.

The other pair, on the other hand, look a bit shaken by the crowd reaction.
From my previous posts I obviously have a lot of sympathy for Steve Smith but I think you are right, remember Shane Warnes last test in England & the reception they gave him throughout. They come across as boorish, boozy numbnuts but they know the game inside out & will acknowledge opponents who are great players.

Guest Moomintroll

I’m certain more convinced by him at 8 than Woakes. I don’t think there’s an alternative without significantly lengthening the tail. I’d keep him for the second test. He’s also England’s best spin bowler, which probably says a lot about the rest, but still.

He has a chance to bat himself into the team for the rest of the series today.
I really want Mo to spark but he seems utterly bereft of confidence right now. Might be best to take him out for a few weeks to give him some time batting even if it is in the 2nd XI league & bring him back for the 4th and 5th tests. His batting is non existent right now & Jack Leach or even Dom Bess are his equal as spin bowlers.

From my previous posts I obviously have a lot of sympathy for Steve Smith but I think you are right, remember Shane Warnes last test in England & the reception they gave him throughout. They come across as boorish, boozy numbnuts but they know the game inside out & will acknowledge opponents who are great players.

I think compared with the England rugby fans, or even the football fans, the Barmy Army are a pretty decent bunch on the whole, and they certainly recognise good players. As you say, they may be a little boorish and post tea can be insufferable if you are stuck in the wrong stand, but they are pretty fair.

They gave Shane Warne absolute pelters as a player, but he gets standing ovations whenever he walks on to the ground to do his pre match stuff.

Ricky Ponting is another case in point.

David Warner has absolutely no redeeming qualities as a person or, really, as a player, and the jeering for him isn’t going to stop.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

Given the treatment the Aussies dished out to Murali or even Stuart Broad, they have no leg to stand on when calling out fans targeting their players. 

Guest Moomintroll
Given the treatment the Aussies dished out to Murali or even Stuart Broad, they have no leg to stand on when calling out fans targeting their players. 
I agree but a particular player is an even bigger problem than their fuckwitted fans, Mooen Ali is Osama bin Laden, chuckle chuckle, it's just a bit of mongrel. Sonny Bill should take the jaw clean off the arseholes face.

Guest Moomintroll

It really isn't funny anymore, get the English & Aussie umpires standing and this farce will end. Nigel Llong, Badger, Reiffel and Rod Tucker are head & shoulders above this. Aleem Dar was a good umpire but he has fallen apart over the last year.

IMG_0574.thumb.jpg.d7e47dd6e2aa8c375bfe8bccaaa9599d.jpg
Lol