The Cricket Thread

bewlay

3 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Brathwaite can feel a bit hard done by there

These umpires aren’t up to scratch.  That being said, I think Hawkeye was very generous on a couple of the English wickets.  There were a couple that were going down that were given out.

This game is crying out for Broad. Pitch it up, let the ball do a bit, it's exactly what Broad is a master of.
I really can't fathom why you would leave Broad out, going by his interview earlier on SSN I think he is a bit baffled by it too.

Innings defeat coming here. 
Dunno. I'm hoping this could be close.

102 lead with 8 down now, so need to get the tail wrapped up.

Get Jimmy back on here.

I also feel that sky need to commentate more, to make up for the lack of crowd. I like that they normally keep quite quiet - but i need a bit more from them to fill the vacuum.

England v West Indies: Stuart Broad 'angry' at being left out of Test - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53363367

The beeb article seems to suggest that wood and archer were picked in preparation for the ashes as they thought this pitch looked hard and fast. Wood and archer's combined figures for windies first innings were 1/135 from 44 overs. Not exactly inspiring.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I also feel that sky need to commentate more, to make up for the lack of crowd. I like that they normally keep quite quiet - but i need a bit more from them to fill the vacuum.

Apart from when Rob Key is on. If he says nothing that'd be ideal.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Dunno. I'm hoping this could be close.

102 lead with 8 down now, so need to get the tail wrapped up.

Get Jimmy back on here.

Someone made the point earlier (I think it was Atherton or maybe Knight) that they were enjoying being able to hear the sound of good shots coming off the bat, then proceeded to talk over the rest of the over so nobody else could.

Decent start this morning, Burns continues to look like the answer when he gets going & Dom Sibley is the sort of batsman who saps the energy ftom the new ball & the bowlers  even though his trigger movements infuriates me.

Decent start this morning, Burns continues to look like the answer when he gets going & Dom Sibley is the sort of batsman who saps the energy ftom the new ball & the bowlers  even though his trigger movements infuriates me.
Aye they're doing a job here.

In other news I've been impressed by Alistair Cook on commentary (tms).

I thought he'd be very safe and boring with his comments, but he's not. Quite entertaining, and obviously knows his stuff.

Just now, pandarilla said:

I thought he'd be very safe and boring with his comments, but he's not. Quite entertaining, and obviously knows his stuff.

He has mentioned in the Media down here that he will find it difficult to be too harsh on people he played with & captained but as time passes he will become more dispassionate.

29 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I was just going to say that.  His saxophone chat with Aggers was pretty funny, the other day.  He’s also not afraid to criticise.  He’s definitely a step up from Swann, who I assume has been given his jotters alongside the insufferable Boycott.

Interesting stage of the test just now. If, and it's a big if, England can get a lead of 200+ towards the end of the day, do they actually try and win the test by putting windies in again, either late this evening or early tomorrow, or do they just let the test play out. Having said all that the most likely thing to happen is a traditional English batting collapse and windies needing 50 or so for victory

Interesting stage of the test just now. If, and it's a big if, England can get a lead of 200+ towards the end of the day, do they actually try and win the test by putting windies in again, either late this evening or early tomorrow, or do they just let the test play out. Having said all that the most likely thing to happen is a traditional English batting collapse and windies needing 50 or so for victory
I reckon it'll be a chase of 160 or so...

Hopefully quite fun if the pitch deteriorates.