The Big Bang Theory

Ned Nederlander

I've just recently got into the show, and I've watched six episodes over the past 2 nights. It's on basically every night now, it's brilliant. Wait, am I a geek now because I've confessed to liking this?

Aye. And I fucking told you(all) it wasn't a laugh track, it's a live audience so it's not hollow, it's the general reaction of people.

Tbf, most of their jokes will raise a smile, but not as much laughter as that. If that really is an audience chosen at random, the general reactions of people worry me.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

It is essentially a laugh track. It will probably take - on average - 4 takes to do a scene. The audience won't laugh every time, so you record their laughter from when they laugh and stick it in post-production for scenes where they didn't really laugh.

It's a mix of "proper" laughter and a laugh track.

People will laugh a lot more at stuff in person, too. I don't know if it's because you're primed for it or something, but you'll laugh a hell of a lot more in the audience at a stand-up gig than you will watching something equally funny on the telly at home, especially if you're alone.

If you watch some of the Big Bang Theory gag reels on Youtube you see how the cast and the audience react at the filming, especially when there's someone with an odd laugh...

Lies.

You're an idiot.

Tbf, most of their jokes will raise a smile, but not as much laughter as that. If that really is an audience chosen at random, the general reactions of people worry me.

I don't think it's chosen at random, I think you can just turn up.

It is essentially a laugh track. It will probably take - on average - 4 takes to do a scene. The audience won't laugh every time, so you record their laughter from when they laugh and stick it in post-production for scenes where they didn't really laugh.

It's a mix of "proper" laughter and a laugh track.

Funny how they didn't mention that at all during that show last night rolleyes.gif

There's no way people laugh that much, basically every line in it has laughter after it. It may be filmed in front of a live audience but I refuse to believe anyone is dumb enough to piss themselves at every single line. I used to like this programme quite a lot but its become incredibly stale recently, partly due to the newer seasons not being as good and partly due to E4 utterly ripping the arse out of it. It's the new friends, without the same rewatch value.

I'm still a big fan, easily my favourite comedy of the last few years. I've always had a thing for Kaley Cuoco as well, which helps.

Funny how they didn't mention that at all during that show last night rolleyes.gif

I'd say it's fairly obvious to anyone who isn't a complete moron that each scene won't be completed in one take.

By those rules it's fairly easy to assume that some form of recorded laughter will be used.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more into the less mainstream comedies like Curb, Mighty Boosh, Armando Iannuci's stuff, but I'm not snobby enough to reject a comedy on the basis that its a big American sitcom with a laugh track - I love Seinfeld, for instance.

But having recently been subjected to this by the missus, I can honestly say I have never seen a worse show. I've seen three or four episodes and have yet to even smile. All I think when watching it is what a shower of absolute wanks the characters are, and utter bafflement that anyone could enjoy it.

Absolute dog shit.