Official P&b Cycling Thread

Haven’t cycled since Fri. For hours after I cycle my heart is racing faster than normal, so much so that on Fri I couldn’t get to sleep until 7.30am!! On top of that yesterday and today my right foot and calf have been so sore. Gutted as I was on course for my first 100 miles in a week 

Looking for some advice.

My body is out of proportion in that I’ve got a long body and arms compared to my legs making my riding position uncomfortable.  I’ve tried messing about with the saddle height and position and with the handlebar height, all to no avail. 
I’m now considering getting a longer stem to move the handlebars forward. The current stem is 90mm and I’m considering changing it to a 110mm one. 
Has anyone here done this before and are there any pitfalls I need to consider or avoid?

thanks. 

Looking for some advice.
My body is out of proportion in that I’ve got a long body and arms compared to my legs making my riding position uncomfortable.  I’ve tried messing about with the saddle height and position and with the handlebar height, all to no avail. 
I’m now considering getting a longer stem to move the handlebars forward. The current stem is 90mm and I’m considering changing it to a 110mm one. 
Has anyone here done this before and are there any pitfalls I need to consider or avoid?
thanks. 
Tbh you might be better getting a bike fit. I had one done 2 years ago and noticed a considerable difference in comfort and ability to ride linger distances. Not necessarily expensive either. Mine was £70. GCN on YouTube show you how to do your own, though not sure how reliable that would be.

28 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Looking for some advice.

thanks. 

What Day of the Lords said is ideal, but if you’re not looking for a new bike just now and you don’t run drop bars, bar ends might help. Longer stem will make handling slower. 

46 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Tbh you might be better getting a bike fit. I had one done 2 years ago and noticed a considerable difference in comfort and ability to ride linger distances. Not necessarily expensive either. Mine was £70. GCN on YouTube show you how to do your own, though not sure how reliable that would be.

Thanks. Most of my tinkering so far has been based on the GCN videos dealing with set ups. I’ve found them really useful, especially the one that identified a major issue with my saddle angle. 

33 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

What Day of the Lords said is ideal, but if you’re not looking for a new bike just now and you don’t run drop bars, bar ends might help. Longer stem will make handling slower. 

Yes, it’s a flat handlebar I’ve got and I hadn’t considered bar ends. They definitely look like an easier fix than my idea.

1 hour ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Looking for some advice.

thanks. 

Don't go for any surgical correction of your body proportions. 🔨🔪🚴‍♀️😏

The Coltbridge Viaduct in Edinburgh is closed again this weekend. Apparently it was to be kept open at weekends as much as possible but this is now the 4th weekend out of the last 5 (IIRC) that the route has been closed. With COVID-19 the number of people walking and cycling along here has grown incredibly so it's pretty ridiculous that more of an effort hasn't been made to keep it open at weekends. 

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Didn't they close Duke's Pass as well for the same reasons the other week?

It was closed mid morning on Saturday due to dangerous parking on the surrounding roads.  I had cycled over it about an hour before and it was far, far busier than I've ever seen before. 

On 26/07/2020 at 00:45, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone know of any good routes in the fife area. Thinking of taking my bike on the train and cycle for a few hours in the coming week. 

I quite like the explore section on Strava. Maybe check some of the cycling groups on there in the Fife area and see what rides those folk are doing? 

On 02/07/2020 at 11:46, Funky Nosejob said:

Have decided that July is going to be all about climbing and have set one Alpe d'Huez (1,135m) per week as my target.

This morning's ride took me over 5,100m climbing for July, or just over 4.5 Alpe d'Huez.

Target for August is 500km total distance.