Official P&b Cycling Thread

17 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Cant remember if I have asked this before but I am asking again anyway.... Can someone talk to me about turbo trainers? I keep looking at sites and their shitty guides about what one is right for you and find myself none the wiser. Bottom line is I am a bang average cyclist who doesn't want to lose it completely during the winter. I don't want to spend a fortune but I want some thing that is good quality and a worthwhile/realistic training tool. Once that is going to give improvement. Lad at work is telling me Elite Direto but at first glance, that's more trainer than I need and more than I want to spend. What does P&B think?

I got the Elite Direto X just before lockdown was announced (I was worried it would be a full no-going-out type situation). I'd say if you're going to get a turbo, then push the boat out and get a  direct drive Smart trainer which you can link up to Zwift or something similar. It certainly adds a bit more interest than just sticking your bike on a non-smart, wheel-on trainer which is both a pain in the arse (ideally you need a specific turbo friendly rear tyre) and also there's no way I'd last any more than 10 minutes just staring at the wall whilst spinning away on the turbo. 

Zwift has certainly made it more bearable for me, is great when the weather is pish and I expect will really come into it's own in winter. There are various other apps like BKool and a few others. 

After much internal debate as i wasn't sure i would manage it finally decided to cycle the Cairn o Mount. What a beast thought my heart was gonna explode but somehow managed to get to the top but really could've done with some extra gears tbh. Great fun...

Edited by keptie

After much internal debate as i wasn't sure i would manage it finally decided to cycle the Cairn o Mount. What a beast thought my heart was gonna explode but somehow managed to get to the top but really could've done with some extra gears tbh. Great fun...
I did it last summer, mostly OK at a fairly constant 6-7%, until the final bit just before and after the hairpin was torture and ramps up to about 15% rather quickly.

I believe it's accurately called "the shit bit" on Strava.

Picked this up for free off Gumtree today by massive coincidence. Took a chance as the owner wasnt sure if it had all the kit. Turned out to be correct the wee computer is missing. Think I can still use it though as the unpowered resistance is still pretty stiff. Might be super boring though.... If anyone know where I can get a computer for it.....

20200818_130841.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn’t ventured out on the main roads for a good few weeks. Did the A77 today, Turnberry to Lendalfoot and four different cars peeped at me at various points. They weren’t people I know and I was in a good road position. Got me wondering if cyclists are “allowed” on main roads? Either way I gave every single one of them the w****r sign 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I hadn’t ventured out on the main roads for a good few weeks. Did the A77 today, Turnberry to Lendalfoot and four different cars peeped at me at various points. They weren’t people I know and I was in a good road position. Got me wondering if cyclists are “allowed” on main roads? Either way I gave every single one of them the w****r sign 

Good run, but you'd have enjoyed it more off the ghastly A77. Over the Lands of Turnberry, east of Girvan, up to Pinmore and down to Lendalfoot. There is a network of (hilly) country roads so you could return by a different route.

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I usually just give them a wave and a smile. 

8 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Good run, but you'd have enjoyed it more off the ghastly A77. Over the Lands of Turnberry, east of Girvan, up to Pinmore and down to Lendalfoot. There is a network of (hilly) country roads so you could return by a different route.

I can’t do hills at all. That road up to Pinmore looks a nightmare for me

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

I usually just give them a wave and a smile. 

You’re way more mature than me!

44 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I had similar on the Dunkeld road in Perth yesterday. Had a trailer attached to the back of the bike as I was collecting a load of stuff from my work. Was approaching the traffic lights below, I was going straight on so kept myself on the white line between the lanes, car that beeped was coming up my right hand side. c**t.

Screenshot_20200915-202230.thumb.jpg.3ac1c13ad8994e85c368544d3b1df9e7.jpg

7 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I had similar on the Dunkeld road in Perth yesterday. Had a trailer attached to the back of the bike as I was collecting a load of stuff from my work. Was approaching the traffic lights below, I was going straight on so kept myself on the white line between the lanes, car that beeped was coming up my right hand side. c**t.

Screenshot_20200915-202230.thumb.jpg.3ac1c13ad8994e85c368544d3b1df9e7.jpg

Think their reasoning is cars/lorries/motor bikes etc should be the only things on the road, not a “push bike”. Absolute kunts. Also had the usual lorries passing me with about 5 inches between us and the boy racers going at 70 zooming by me

14 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Drivers do that all the time on busy single lane roads. It's code for "you've held me up for 20 seconds, get out of my way". Last time it happened to me was on the road from Barrhead, because they couldn't get past due to traffic the other way - passed him in the queue at the next lights anyway....

Fair play on the A77 ride - I hate cycling on rural roads like that. Just not relaxing at all with the HGVs and traffic screaming about!