Official P&b Cycling Thread

26 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:
I’ve been persevering the last few days. Did an enjoyable 10 mile route last night ans tonight I did 14 miles. I felt I achieved something as one of the hills that defeated me two weeks ago (I had to push it half way up) I managed! I also recorded my fastest average speed tonight 9.1 mph. Not fantastic but better than I was! 

Well done and good to hear you enjoyed it as you seemed a bit disheartened in your previous post. Glad you got that feeling of achievement when you manage something you couldn't before. That's always a good spur to get you out again to try to achieve something else.

Yeah definitely. I was disheartened after Sunday’s cycle. The wind was the main factor and it felt a struggle. It was annoying as it wasn’t even that windy (to walk in)

11 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yeah definitely. I was disheartened after Sunday’s cycle. The wind was the main factor and it felt a struggle. It was annoying as it wasn’t even that windy (to walk in)

Wind is a b*****d mate, as you get fitter you deal with it better. I usually plan my routes to have the wind in my advantage. For example routes that involve going uphill, having the wind behind you makes a difference. At the same time if I have a long straight, for example Stirling to Grangemouth, then I prefer to have the wind at my back as its frustrating cycling into a wind for a long period of time, especially when that road is completely open, no trees or built up areas to keep the wind down. This is usually where canal paths are decent. 

Lastly, few guys have mentioned the gears and this is a biggy. If you're still getting into it I'd suggest having your chain on 2 and use the rear gear set. For example if you're going downhill put it up to the highest number, on a flat drop down one or two and if going into a wind or uphill then drop down to one of the lower options. 

It's not a race so take your time. If you try to do too much too quickly you'll quickly lose interest and come to dislike it. Also, don't compare yourself to the lycra brigade. Those guys are jumping about in bikes that cost anything from 1500 to 8000 quid. Also these are guys who've been cycling for years, you see them on Strava clocking up 160km journeys at an average speed of 32km/h. They'll be super fit. 

My first outing in my hybrid back in March I done 16km with an average speed of 19.5km/h. I was fucked after it. 

On Sunday I cycled 70km with an average speed of 25.5km/h. 

I was 93kg in March (34 years old) and now I'm 83kg. The bike gets you fitter and its great for weight loss! 

Stick at it mate

15 hours ago, RiG said:

I'm looking at getting a replacement fork for my 2011 Specialized Hardrock MTB due to the OG fork suffering from corrosion. Aside from being mindful of the maximum wheel size, disc brake size and headpost size is there anything else I need to consider?

My original bike spec still pops up in old reviews (https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/specialized-hardrock-pro-disc-review/) and this was one fork I was eyeing up - RockShox 30 Silver TK Coil Forks. Would this be a goer?

You need to be mindful of axle size and fork travel as well, the travel on the new fork is only 10mm more so should be ok, its also for a QR  axle. If in doubt just ask the question to the fork supplier.

Edited by stu_mfc

1 hour ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

I was 93kg in March (34 years old) and now I'm 83kg. The bike gets you fitter and its great for weight loss! 

Stick at it mate

Christ, a real noticeable loss that. 

What sort of mileage are you doing a week? 

1 hour ago, stu_mfc said:
You need to be mindful of axle size and fork travel as well, the travel on the new fork is only 10mm more so should be ok, its also for a QR  axle. If in doubt just ask the question to the fork supplier.

Cheers. I've fired off some questions to Chain Reaction and Wiggle but obviously they'll be burst just now. Going to pop into Bike Craft about servicing so I'll ask them as well.

Edited by RiG

7 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Christ, a real noticeable loss that. 

What sort of mileage are you doing a week? 

Started off every 2nd day doing 20km and quickly took that to 26km.syarted doing longer runs and going out atleast 4 or 5 days a week so for 4 or 5 weeks I was exceeding 100km a week mostly averaging 150km. Last week I returned to work so only managed 1 run out which was a 70km effort, week before that I reached 255km.

Being back at work is the killer now, still hoping to average 100km to 150km a week. I'm wanting to get down to 75kg so got a lot of work to do. 

I should also add, I've not had a breakfast roll since March and my lunches are always sandwiches. My work takes me abroad a lot and I'm often eating lunch and dinner in restaurants or off buffets, obviously haven't done that since March so that's helped. 

2 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Wind is a b*****d mate, as you get fitter you deal with it better. I usually plan my routes to have the wind in my advantage. For example routes that involve going uphill, having the wind behind you makes a difference. At the same time if I have a long straight, for example Stirling to Grangemouth, then I prefer to have the wind at my back as its frustrating cycling into a wind for a long period of time, especially when that road is completely open, no trees or built up areas to keep the wind down. This is usually where canal paths are decent. 

Lastly, few guys have mentioned the gears and this is a biggy. If you're still getting into it I'd suggest having your chain on 2 and use the rear gear set. For example if you're going downhill put it up to the highest number, on a flat drop down one or two and if going into a wind or uphill then drop down to one of the lower options. 

It's not a race so take your time. If you try to do too much too quickly you'll quickly lose interest and come to dislike it. Also, don't compare yourself to the lycra brigade. Those guys are jumping about in bikes that cost anything from 1500 to 8000 quid. Also these are guys who've been cycling for years, you see them on Strava clocking up 160km journeys at an average speed of 32km/h. They'll be super fit. 

My first outing in my hybrid back in March I done 16km with an average speed of 19.5km/h. I was fucked after it. 

On Sunday I cycled 70km with an average speed of 25.5km/h. 

Stick at it mate

Cheers for that! I hadn’t realised the wind would be so bad as when I was walking outside it was fine, but it gradually got worse. I definitely can’t see me cycling much in the winter 😂

Yeah with the gears I’ve been having the left hand shifter at 2, and then using 2 or 3 on the right hand side for hills, and 4 and 5 for flat. It’s hard to see old guys zoom past me or even worse cycle up a hill when I’m pushing the bike up it! I have to accept my bike is 20 years old and these guys have been doing it for years. 

Thats good to hear you’ve lost weight and improved your speed greatly! There’s hope for me yet 😂

20 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Cheers for that! I hadn’t realised the wind would be so bad as when I was walking outside it was fine, but it gradually got worse. I definitely can’t see me cycling much in the winter 😂

Cycling on a cold, crisp winter day is best time to be on the bike!

72 km today Round the Forth at an average speed of 21.2. Felt good up until the last couple of km. Legs went to idle speed and I got home and spent the next have hour watching the involuntary twitches in my calfs with my daughter, who found it hilarious.

Big jump in distance for me. Stop for lunch maybe a bit too long legs were in disarray for 10 mins after that. Happy though. It's a great route. Bit of everything

After just under a month of training, I finally managed to average over 14mph on my 18.5 mile circuit of the western outskirts of Edinburgh this morning.

I'm riding a 10kg, 8x1 gear hybrid but am fully aware that the major performance lag is down to the rider at the moment.

This may seem a silly question but what’s the best time to cycle? I’ve been going out either in the afternoon, or more frequently in the evening, usually between 6-8. I’ve notice for the last week or so I haven’t been able to sleep until 4am 😞 just wondered if I’m maybe going out too late?

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This may seem a silly question but what’s the best time to cycle? I’ve been going out either in the afternoon, or more frequently in the evening, usually between 6-8. I’ve notice for the last week or so I haven’t been able to sleep until 4am 😞 just wondered if I’m maybe going out too late?

Early morning or into the evening - much less wind most days and roads tend to be quieter.

I have only recently got back into cycling and currently going out after I finish work (from home) The wind tends to drop a little later but I am keen to get it done before me tea.

A few years ago when I was doing a great deal more cycling (John O'Groats - Lands End, Marmotte, Etape de Tour and some 300 and 400km Audax's) I loved getting up really early on a Saturday morning and doing my long run then - typically 100 - 130 miles.  I recall once waking at around 4am and having a quick breakfast and going for it - back home from 110 miles  and in the bath by 11am - great feeling.

Starting to enjoy my return to cycling and the fitness is coming back slowly.  Still not overly keen on the long runs (they were typically training for a specific event that required high volume training and build of stamina) but usually doing anything from 20km to 50km through the week and always trying to do at pace - a bit of a stave obsessive and always keen to get new PB's, top 10's and even one KOM a few weeks ago.  Strava is not for everyone but I genuinely don't think I would go out most nights without it.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Early morning or into the evening - much less wind most days and roads tend to be quieter.

I have only recently got back into cycling and currently going out after I finish work (from home) The wind tends to drop a little later but I am keen to get it done before me tea.

A few years ago when I was doing a great deal more cycling (John O'Groats - Lands End, Marmotte, Etape de Tour and some 300 and 400km Audax's) I loved getting up really early on a Saturday morning and doing my long run then - typically 100 - 130 miles.  I recall once waking at around 4am and having a quick breakfast and going for it - back home from 110 miles  and in the bath by 11am - great feeling.

Starting to enjoy my return to cycling and the fitness is coming back slowly.  Still not overly keen on the long runs (they were typically training for a specific event that required high volume training and build of stamina) but usually doing anything from 20km to 50km through the week and always trying to do at pace - a bit of a stave obsessive and always keen to get new PB's, top 10's and even one KOM a few weeks ago.  Strava is not for everyone but I genuinely don't think I would go out most nights without it.

Yeah that’s why I was going out in the evening, less wind and traffic on the roads, but the not being able to sleep thing really is starting to annoy me. I did 10 miles today and got home about 3 so I’ll see if that helps any! 

Jeez you were certainly keen! Those are sort of distances I can only dream of

same, I’m enjoying getting back into the cycling. I use map my ride and I find it decent, it tells me all I need to know! I use “road bike” which is probably wrong, I use a mountain bike but on roads

5 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yeah that’s why I was going out in the evening, less wind and traffic on the roads, but the not being able to sleep thing really is starting to annoy me. I did 10 miles today and got home about 3 so I’ll see if that helps any! 

Jeez you were certainly keen! Those are sort of distances I can only dream of

same, I’m enjoying getting back into the cycling. I use map my ride and I find it decent, it tells me all I need to know! I use “road bike” which is probably wrong, I use a mountain bike but on roads

Can you definitely link a bad sleep to cycling in the evening?  If you can, probably best to cycle earlier.  If you can get out on the country roads fairly quickly from where you live, busier roads earlier in the day shouldn't make that much difference.  

I personally don't go out in the evening that often, but the odd time I have returned after 10pm I haven't had an issue sleeping.

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

Can you definitely link a bad sleep to cycling in the evening?  If you can, probably best to cycle earlier.  If you can get out on the country roads fairly quickly from where you live, busier roads earlier in the day shouldn't make that much difference.  

I personally don't go out in the evening that often, but the odd time I have returned after 10pm I haven't had an issue sleeping.

I cant link it for definite but I have noticed since I started cycling again that I’m struggling to sleep until 3am at the earliest. It may be coincidence, who knows. I went out earlier today (1pm) and I don’t feel tired yet so it looks like another night of being awake until the wee small hours 😞