Official P&b Cycling Thread

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I did 20 miles today. The first 10 were hard and uncomfortable with a strong wind facing me. I don’t feel myself getting any quicker or it being any easier. Averaging about 7mph which is shit 

How are you getting on with the gears? You're never going to be quick on a mountain bike, so don't be hard on yourself!

9 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

How are you getting on with the gears? You're never going to be quick on a mountain bike, so don't be hard on yourself!

It’s disheartening seeing guys about 20 years older than me manage hills whilst I’m pushing it up them! Then they’re speeding past me. They’re on road bikes right enough.

Well I keep the left hand side ones in 2. The right side ones I vary between 2-5. It was windy today so I had to take the small hills in 2nd gear when last week I was able to take them in 3rd

Two decent runs this weekend,with some fairly hard climbs in them (something we've got plenty of down this way ). It was  good to get back on the bike again after missing out last weekend. Definitely feel I've improved since the start of lockdown which was the first time I'd been on a bicycle for 20 + years . Starting to push myself a lot  more now which I guess is partly down to Strava , as your always looking to improve on segment times . Unfortunately being back at work limits my rides to the weekends though. 

45 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I did 20 miles today. The first 10 were hard and uncomfortable with a strong wind facing me. I don’t feel myself getting any quicker or it being any easier. Averaging about 7mph which is shit 

That's about three hours on a heavy mountain bike when you've only recently got back into cycling.

I'd seriously suggest cutting down the distance you're doing.

4 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

That's about three hours on a heavy mountain bike when you've only recently got back into cycling.

I'd seriously suggest cutting down the distance you're doing.

Yeah it was just over 3 hours by the time I stooped for water breaks. Today and last Sunday are the only days I’ve did 20 miles. Usually it’s about 10-12 miles a day I try and do

Edited by Thereisalight..

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yeah it was just over 3 hours by the time I stooped for water breaks. Today and last Sunday are the only days I’ve did 20 miles. Usually it’s about 10-12 miles a day I try and do

If you are just getting back into training, please have a look at this.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/cycling-training-plans-153049

Then follow the link for your appropriate level/goal.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It’s disheartening seeing guys about 20 years older than me manage hills whilst I’m pushing it up them! Then they’re speeding past me. They’re on road bikes right enough.

Well I keep the left hand side ones in 2. The right side ones I vary between 2-5. It was windy today so I had to take the small hills in 2nd gear when last week I was able to take them in 3rd

Mate, when I emigrated to Belgium about a year ago, I was given a company bike (I was offered a company car but since I'm the only person here that can't drive, causes much confusion, and I would have rather had a bus pass at the time), I kind of felt the same way as I hadn't ridden a bike since i was a teenager, and I was nervous. Now after a year, it's different, I am fitter now and go at a better speed. I still have old guys flying past me, but I only compare myself to what I was like previously, and I have definitely improved, just ignore everyone else and just enjoy your cycle, you'll get there.

Edited by Turkmenbashi

2 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Mate, when I emigrated to Belgium about a year ago, I was given a company bike (I was offered a company car but since the only person that can't drive, causes much confusion here, and I would have rather had a bus pass), I kind of felt the same way as I hadn't ridden a bike since i was a teenager, and I was nervous. Now after a year, it's different, I am fitter now and go at a better speed. I still have old guys flying past me, but I only compare myself to what I was like previously, and I have definitely improved ignore everyone else and just enjoy your cycle, you'll get there.

Cheers for that! It’s heartening to know that you “started” back at the cycling after many years away and that you’ve improved! Are you cycling every day?

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Cheers for that! It’s heartening to know that you “started” back at the cycling after many years away and that you’ve improved! Are you cycling every day?

Every day. Obviously to the office every morning, but also just to go to the shops or just see friends. OK I have had to stop cycling to pub because I fell off a couple of times while cycling home while drunk. I also try to do a tour at the weekend, going to out to the countryside and exploring. 
I have changed my bike fairly recently and it is very noticeable how getting a new bike can massively improve performance, I didn't quite realise how shite my first bike was until I got a better one (and my current one is my no means anything expensive). And it's also fair to say having the wind right in your face is a b*****d no matter how good you are.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If you're struggling with hills let your gears do their job, the lower numbers are your easiest gears. Try experimenting with them and see how you get along.

Maybe pick some easier rides on flatter roads/ tracks, google maps has a cycling bit which shows you the cycling routes.

A lot of the guys on here cycle at quite a high level, my kind of cycling is just 2 to 3 hours in the countryside/along the coast in the fresh air. 

A mountain bike isn't really built for speed, road bikes will overtake most non roadies.

Yeah, massive difference between road and mountain bikes. If you're keeping the left hand gears in 2 and struggling on hills then use the lowest gears to make things easier. That's what they're there for and there's absolutely no shame in it. In fact,there's immense satisfaction in making it up a hill you couldn't before.

There will always be someone faster but it's not about them - it's just about you enjoying yourself. I've just been out for an hour and a half on a lovely summer's evening and there are guys on Strava way faster than me but I really enjoyed my ride.

I'm looking at getting a replacement fork for my 2011 Specialized Hardrock MTB due to the OG fork suffering from corrosion. Aside from being mindful of the maximum wheel size, disc brake size and headpost size is there anything else I need to consider?

My original bike spec still pops up in old reviews (https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/specialized-hardrock-pro-disc-review/) and this was one fork I was eyeing up - RockShox 30 Silver TK Coil Forks. Would this be a goer?

I have a tekkers related question.... When pedalling obviously the cleats are nearer the toe end of the foot, when you are pushing down should you be pushing down through your heel? I feel that most of my power is generated only from my quads, and my arse/hamstrings/calf really dont engage much at all. What's the right technique for pedalling?

The tip I remember is that at the bottom of the stroke to bring your foot back as if scraping shite off your shoe.

For me, that means trying to flex my ankle on the way through

I have a tekkers related question.... When pedalling obviously the cleats are nearer the toe end of the foot, when you are pushing down should you be pushing down through your heel? I feel that most of my power is generated only from my quads, and my arse/hamstrings/calf really dont engage much at all. What's the right technique for pedalling?

On 14/06/2020 at 22:21, Turkmenbashi said:

And it's also fair to say having the wind right in your face is a b*****d no matter how good you are.

It's the only thing that get's me down about cycling. The cold, the rain, the traffic .  .  . I can just about cope with, but the wind?

Obviously if you're doing a circular route in the countryside  you'll plan your route according to the wind, and try and have the wind at your back on the homebound stretch. 

Even if you get it right, cycling into the wind is miserable. 

I’ve been persevering the last few days. Did an enjoyable 10 mile route last night ans tonight I did 14 miles. I felt I achieved something as one of the hills that defeated me two weeks ago (I had to push it half way up) I managed! I also recorded my fastest average speed tonight 9.1 mph. Not fantastic but better than I was! 

Had my first accident on the bike today! Hurtling down the canal path by Bonnybridge at around 27km/h, expected someone to move over but they didn't (headphones in), their dog wasn't on a leash either so when I expected to just nip past the guy the dog moved so hit the brakes that hard I went over the handlebars just as the bike came to a full stop 🙈. Managed to dust myself off and carry on with blood all over my handlebar grips because of my bloody palms 🙈

Definitely going to stay off the canal paths now if I'm out on a sprint. Too many Smombies, walkers with headphones in and groups of wee fannies on their bikes. 

IMG_20200616_130333.thumb.jpg.bca76a10c25432f839e2726b20c1d4e4.jpg

I’ve been persevering the last few days. Did an enjoyable 10 mile route last night ans tonight I did 14 miles. I felt I achieved something as one of the hills that defeated me two weeks ago (I had to push it half way up) I managed! I also recorded my fastest average speed tonight 9.1 mph. Not fantastic but better than I was! 
Well done and good to hear you enjoyed it as you seemed a bit disheartened in your previous post. Glad you got that feeling of achievement when you manage something you couldn't before. That's always a good spur to get you out again to try to achieve something else.