Official P&b Cycling Thread

I get bored to be honest at that distance! Just get fed up cycling for that length of time, although I have heard PFS Sportive last year was very difficult.

I'm with you on this one done the glasgow 100 two years running for Action medical and one i hit that 70/80 mile mark im bored out my tree and just want it over with lol. Never got to do the PFS this year so i intend to do it this year although no decision to the distance yet

My first one will be the Trossachs this year another Action Medical Ride they do two up here Trossachs in June and The glasgow 100 (which doesnt go through glasgow) in august.

Edited to add

Who on here replaces their own cassettes etc is it easy enough to do? as paying in labor costs over a year or two mounts up. The work done is always perfect just thinking about penny pinching now

Edited by paisleysaints

I'm with you on this one done the glasgow 100 two years running for Action medical and one i hit that 70/80 mile mark im bored out my tree and just want it over with lol. Never got to do the PFS this year so i intend to do it this year although no decision to the distance yet

My first one will be the Trossachs this year another Action Medical Ride they do two up here Trossachs in June and The glasgow 100 (which doesnt go through glasgow) in august.

Edited to add

Who on here replaces their own cassettes etc is it easy enough to do? as paying in labor costs over a year or two mounts up. The work done is always perfect just thinking about penny pinching now

I have changed my cassette (splined shimano)..... You need a tool (chain with a hook and handle) to stop the cassette turning and a tool for slackening the cassete (it's an internal spline thing from memory).. I changed a 25/12 10 speed to a 28/12... to get my fat belly up the steep bits... :(

The screwed on cassestes are a nightmare to do without damaging something as they seize on... but I doubt you have this design..?

I bought a tool kit from LIDL and it had the tools for this and more.......

Have a look on you tube and you will see what's needed..

Edited to add

I have changed my cassette (splined shimano)..... You need a tool (chain with a hook and handle) to stop the cassette turning and a tool for slackening the cassete (it's an internal spline thing from memory).. I changed a 25/12 10 speed to a 28/12... to get my fat belly up the steep bits... :(

The screwed on cassestes are a nightmare to do without damaging something as they seize on... but I doubt you have this design..?

I bought a tool kit from LIDL and it had the tools for this and more.......

Have a look on you tube and you will see what's needed..

Follow Global Cycling Network on YouTube. They've been posting up a lot of maintenance videos of late. Everything from how to change your chain, to how to change your cassette. Today's was how to replace Shimano crank arms and chainrings.

Edit to add link: http://www.youtube.com/user/globalcyclingnetwork

Edited by well fan for life

The next time I've some spare cash i'll buy a mountain bike.For years I cycled,but for the last few months have used the car,the one bike I have is an old un,no gears,heavy and hard work.

Great form of transport is the bike!

Myself and a guy at work are doing a charity bike ride from Irvine to Ardrossan, round Arran then back to Irvine for Yorkhill Hospital. It's a total of 77 miles which isn't much for a regular cyclist but is a fair distance for me. The furthest I have cycled in the past 5 years is 4 miles to work and 4 miles back (about 3 times). Really need to lose weight and get fit before we attempt this on the 28th June. The training starts now! :(

If anyone would like to donate, even just a £ this is the link to my 'Just Giving' page.

justgiving

Thanks.

Bit the bullet and rode the MTB with slick tyres to work for the first time this year... Just under nine miles, 480 odd feet up and 680 something down (wind assisted)...

The rear disc has picked up a stone or something and it's making a nasty grinding noise.. Might be the bus home if I cannae fix it here.... :unsure:

My face is ever so pink for the supposed 550 calories ...... :P

I needed to drive today, and while sitting at a set of lights, a POB in full a full lycra get-up went straight through the red, then the next one slightly further up the road.

I actually despise f**kwits like him. Yes, despise. He wears the gear, so must be fairly serious, but then has no regard for the rules of the road. After the second red, he turned left onto a pedestrian crossing that would have been on a green man (I know the phasing of the lights). But I bet it would have been the pedestrian's fault if he'd hit someone.

/rant

One of my brakes is doing nothing to stop me, the brakedisc just spins away. everything seems tight enough. how can I fix this?

In no particular order....

Hydraulic or cable operated.?

Does the brake lever feel / operate as normal...?

If you look at the disc (from between the space in the caliper), do the bits (pads) that rub against the disc have any material left on them..?

How quickly has this occured... suddenly or over a longer period....?

Have you done anything.. as in removed wheel to fix puncture...?

Hydraulic or cable operated.? Cable

Does the brake lever feel / operate as normal...? yes, Maybe a bit loose but cable isn't slack

If you look at the disc (from between the space in the caliper), do the bits (pads) that rub against the disc have any material left on them..? I think there is still pad there, will double check

How quickly has this occured... suddenly or over a longer period....? A quickish time

Have you done anything.. as in removed wheel to fix puncture...? many a time

Hydraulic or cable operated.? Cable

Does the brake lever feel / operate as normal...? yes, Maybe a bit loose but cable isn't slack

If you look at the disc (from between the space in the caliper), do the bits (pads) that rub against the disc have any material left on them..? I think there is still pad there, will double check

How quickly has this occured... suddenly or over a longer period....? A quickish time

Have you done anything.. as in removed wheel to fix puncture...? many a time

The last question wasn't worded very well.. It was to establish if you have done something (which you may not have noticed) during some other repair......?