Golfers Thread

Gaz

Its brilliant eh but hard as f**k.  16 is the only par 3 where you sometimes need a yardage for your second shot.  If they push everything right back its 276, and it could be into the wind.  Glad you enjoyed it, I was looking at Gleneagles recently too actually, cheap twilight deals going on the Kings for 85.

[emoji23][emoji23] when I played there wasn’t a bit of wind! I like the other par 3 maybe like 110 yards but surrounded by bunkers!! I posted a picture a while back of the laddie in a bunker, he’s 6ft and it was double his height! Everything about it was just spotless... I’m a believer in you get what you pay for and I have no complaints. I was looking at the kings course today! Some great prices, the wife staffs gleneagles and used to work at turnberry so trying to get her to see what she can get me deal wise!

4 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png when I played there wasn’t a bit of wind! I like the other par 3 maybe like 110 yards but surrounded by bunkers!! I posted a picture a while back of the laddie in a bunker, he’s 6ft and it was double his height! Everything about it was just spotless... I’m a believer in you get what you pay for and I have no complaints. I was looking at the kings course today! Some great prices, the wife staffs gleneagles and used to work at turnberry so trying to get her to see what she can get me deal wise!

That's 13 that's the one I was cheated out a hole in one on.  Its a quality wee hole, picturesque too.  Turnberry is the one I'd love to play, a friend is  a pro there, well that's the point he's not really a friend and I don't like him but I know him.  He could get us on but I wouldn't want to ask. Last year 375 for a round there, but this year doing a deal 320 to play both courses and stay overnight.

5 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

IMG_1525.jpg

That's the left spec on 14.  Believe it or not they have actually softened the course up dramatically over the last ten years, its much easier than it used to be.  This is a good example, those are now I believe 9 feet deep but they used to be I can't remember either 12 or 14, and also they angled the faces away from you a bit to give you a chance.  It used to be if you were in them you're basically dead now you can hit the green with the right lie and a good shot.

That's 13 that's the one I was cheated out a hole in one on.  Its a quality wee hole, picturesque too.  Turnberry is the one I'd love to play, a friend is  a pro there, well that's the point he's not really a friend and I don't like him but I know him.  He could get us on but I wouldn't want to ask. Last year 375 for a round there, but this year doing a deal 320 to play both courses and stay overnight.

Oooft that would of been pretty special! It’s a beautiful wee hole and a lot harder than it appear pin was about 5 yards past front bunker tucked into the right! That’s a decent deal like... I’d just humour him to get a round for nowt [emoji23]

6 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Oooft that would of been pretty special! It’s a beautiful wee hole and a lot harder than it appear pin was about 5 yards past front bunker tucked into the right! That’s a decent deal like... I’d just humour him to get a round for nowt emoji23.png

Aye its much harder if the pin is at the front.  I know a kid, I witnessed it too we were on 7 which is right next to it, pin was at the front, his 21st birthday with his mum and dad watching from the hill, he holed it for his first ever hole in one.

I'd love to play it but he's an arsehole and not really a friend I just know him, no way I would humiliate myself by asking.

10 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Enjoying the golf chat on here then,

tenor-10.gif.b280bfdcb3ece57feaa9e5c46331bb50.gif

Its a true story. I suppose its not likely he reads pieandbovril. 

So its 1999, you know the big white hotel behind the 18th green, well I'm a hall porter there. Concierge they call us.  Around the time of the open, maybe after who knows, maybe he was there for a corporate day.

So anyway this old guy checks in, he's a bit loud and demanding, literally just walked in the front door and being a bit arsey.  Asks for someone to come up to his room to give him a hand.

We would probably be taking his luggage up anyway, but I'm like alright no bother lets go. I have no idea who he is, and he literally just walked in the front door twenty seconds ago. To me he's just a bit of a belligerent eccentric old rich guy, go up do whatever he hands me twenty quid or something back in five minutes happy days.  Brilliant job for tips btw. 

As I'm walking over to the lift with him, the personnel manager comes over to me grabs my arm and whispers in my ear 'be very careful' in a very serious tone.

I'm pretty young at the time and didn't know what she meant. In hindsight it was the worst thing to say as I thought he's obviously mega rich and important influential etc, so I'm even more likely to go the extra yard to keep him sweet now.   As it turns out they obviously knew about him and he had a reputation.  I was a good looking young lad.  But that totally passed me by at the time.

So we get to his room and its already a bit weird cause he just acted and talked weird in the lift etc. But he's in a suite, bedroom adjoining livingroom. We go in, I have his luggage, like maybe two big cases and a smaller bag.  He asks me to take it through to the bedroom.  Not that strange so far.  Then he comes in says put them down there next to the wall.

Around about then they paged me. We wore pagers. It just means you're needed downstairs. But this guy was an important guest and he wanted me to do something I hadn't finished yet and he's gonna tip me, so I ignored it, I'll be there in a few minutes anyway. 

Then he opened one of the cases, big suitcase, it was completely full of shoes.  Nothing else. All different colours, pink, blue, orange, yellow, red, purple everything.  Must have been thirty or forty pairs who knows maybe more.  

So he now sits on the bed facing the suitcase, and says what I want you to do is to line them up against the wall in pairs.  I'm thinking this is a bit weird by now. 

So the positon I am in is, a good looking young lad, on my knees on the floor bending forward to take shoes out looking for a match for them and putting them against the wall in pairs.  He's sitting on the bed directly behind me, not very far away at all.

Then I heard his zip.

Joking......what was going on I kind of worked out by then and looking back its obvious, he wanted to stare at my arse. Maybe it would have gone further who knows, he's clearly a predator. I was very young and he was like 60, he had it planned out before he even got to the hotel, and obviously had done it before. 

After I had put three pairs there I remember it vividly they paged me again, and I'm like angry with him by now and just knew like something was very dodgy about all this, and tbh I felt exploited and violated.  That's predatory behaviour, it took me years to realise it but we should have gone to the police, he must have done stuff like that many many times for decades. 

But they paged me again I was like look I've really got to go they need me downstairs etc etc, he was like 'well you can kiss your tip goodbye then' I said, no word of a lie, 'you can stick your tip up your arse' and walked out.  After that I refused to deal with him at all the rest of his stay and never even realised who he was until later, I got told his name but didn't really know who that was at the time. 

That's all 100% true and exactly as it happened.  He's a predator.  I don't know if he's even still alive but hopefully not.  

Actually I forgot to add, thinking about it now, he opened the suitcase and tipped it over the floor, like tilted it and just emptied all the shoes on the floor. So I was then scrabbling about on my hands and knees like a yard in front of him sorting them into pairs and putting them against the wall.  Its quite obvious what he was all about.

Here is his personal section from his wikipedia

Sanders was a stylish, flamboyant dresser on the golf course, which earned him the nickname "Peacock of the Fairways."[7] Esquire magazine named Sanders one of America's Ten Best Dressed Jocks in August 1972.[9]

Sanders identified himself as the lead character, a playboy PGA Tour golfer, in the golf novel Dead Solid Perfect, by Dan Jenkins.[10]

Sanders' wrote a golf instruction book, "Compact Golf", published 1964. The titel linked to Sanders' short golf swing. His autobiography "Come swing with me" was published in 1974.[11]

Thoughts on the US Open lads ?

My portfolio consists of Schauffele, Simpson, Fleetwood, Reed and Hatton, plus the usual smaller stakes on Rickie(☹getting less likely each year) and Stenson. Chucked a couple quid on some dual forecasts including DJ and others.

Looking forward to a tough but fair set up here. Pity Davis Love is AWOL, as his write ups were top notch.

Three Scots in the field
Bob MacIntyre
Connor Syme
Sandy Scott who I haven’t heard much about but seems to be highly regarded amateur who is from Nairn and has done the College golf thing in USA. Good luck to them.
MacIntyre and Scott paired together along with Kurt Kitayama who MacIntyre pipped for rookie of the year last year.

Connor Syme out with Paul Barjon and Marty Jertson. Nope, me neither. [emoji2369]

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Thoughts on the US Open lads ?

My portfolio consists of Schauffele, Simpson, Fleetwood, Reed and Hatton, plus the usual smaller stakes on Rickie(☹getting less likely each year) and Stenson. Chucked a couple quid on some dual forecasts including DJ and others.

Looking forward to a tough but fair set up here. Pity Davis Love is AWOL, as his write ups were top notch.

The bad news for you is I have some similar ones! Reed my main bet. But decent stakes on Hatton Finau Scott Morikawa and JT. Also some small stakes on some outsiders, wolff oosthuizen dahmen Macintyre hojgaard. 

A lot of the write ups seem to suggest Schaufelle fleetwood and casey will do well but I have to draw the line somewhere! 

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

MacIntyre and Scott paired together along with Kurt Kitayama who MacIntyre pipped for rookie of the year last year.

Connor Syme out with Paul Barjon and Marty Jertson. Nope, me neither. emoji2369.png

Marty Jertson beat these guys to qualify.

EWO4GcSUcAAbRp4.thumb.jpg.f6a7c61cb36c3ad0cad43ee69344a3d0.jpg

I've got e/w's on Tiger and Fleetwood so far, will likely add a couple more on Friday. Nothing particularly logical with Tiger considering his form, but just fancy the big man to play moderately sensible off the Tee, and use those sexy mid-irons to get close and keep his score down.