Golfers Thread

Gaz

He was 125/1 in jan/feb I believe. I have him at 25 and 22 on the nose but also jumped on skys ew places. His price now is a bit ridiculous but he’s so fun to root for
He's very likeable, hard not to feel some empathy for him when you saw those shots of him grinding away on the range in near darkness trying to fight his way back to some sort of form.

Hoffman makes the cardinal error of missing the fairway on 17.

Azinger annoys me. 
Hoffman birdies and closes to one. 
Azinger annoys everybody, especially with his consistent failure to recognise that golf exists outwith the USA, and constantly trying to make us give a shiny shite about the Fedex rankings.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

He's very likeable, hard not to feel some empathy for him when you saw those shots of him grinding away on the range in near darkness trying to fight his way back to some sort of form.

Hoffman makes the cardinal error of missing the fairway on 17.

Yeah, his “vulnerability” makes him much more relatable than some of the other more robotic pros 

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
13 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
Azinger annoys me. 
Hoffman birdies and closes to one. 

Azinger annoys everybody, especially with his consistent failure to recognise that golf exists outwith the USA, and constantly trying to make us give a shiny shite about the Fedex rankings.

I can't remember if it was Azinger, but one of the commentators was talking as if holding onto 3rd would be some sort of career move for Wallace because he's currently 150th or whatever on the fedex rankings. 

I can't remember if it was Azinger, but one of the commentators was talking as if holding onto 3rd would be some sort of career move for Wallace because he's currently 150th or whatever on the fedex rankings. 

Listened to a few golf podcasts that have all said the same thing, NBC got the latest broadcast deal basically on the premise that they would be the PGA Tour's version of Pravda. It's all about promoting the Tour, it's sponsors, and specifically the Fedex. No negative stories allowed at all.

Hopefully spieth sees this out. One of my favourite sportsmen.  

Agreed.
Great win for Spieth.
My instinct is this will put him in the spotlight at Augusta and he’s still hitting too many wayward shots to win there. Be a good watch though. Can’t wait. I love the Masters.
Good final round of 4 under by Martin Laird to finish tied 30th.

39 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

As much as it's hugely annoying it's probably also correct to an extent. Wallace (who makes Rahm look as cool as a cucumber) is still finding his way on the PGA Tour. Irritating though it is it's a step up from any other tour.

With regard to Spieth. It's great to see him do well. For me too many bad shots to contend at Augusta but would be happy to be proved wrong on that.

Rahm just became a father in the early hours of this morning which is ruling him out of my flutters for this week as his head will be all over the shop

I've already backed Jt and my lively outsider is Fritelli 

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Lack of a buffer to play for is the big negative for me, although I usually had the ability to play myself out of it fairly comfortably anyway, and not in the good direction

Haha - yeah, me too.  There's three things I dislike about it. 1) the rolling 20 rounds means that if you only play a handful of comps a year, a good score from possibly 2 years ago will have a big impact when it drops off. 2) It used to be possible to calculate during a (good) medal round how many shots you were breaking handicap by and what that meant. Now it's just "wait and put the number into the supercomputer and see what comes out". 3) Those of us who spent years grinding their way down to a target handicap could have expected to drift up very slowly (0.1 at a time) in the old system, and now it can jump all over the place quickly.  Some see that as a plus; I don't.

Talking of wild fluctuations in scoring, delighted to see Spieth win again last night.