Golfers Thread

Gaz

56 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Pffft, wasn't everyone??? 😉

Haha....many do claim the likes.  I seriously cannot recall what my handicap would have been around the age of 12.

There was one junior at my club who managed to get down to a 5 handicap....I certainly remember that he never ever won the junior championship but he made up for this by winning a Major and apprearing in two Ryder cups as an adult....which I suppose is decent

18 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Haha....many do claim the likes.  I seriously cannot recall what my handicap would have been around the age of 12.

Back in pre-Buffer Zone olden days, when handicaps only ever went down, it was pretty commonplace for juniors to get to low single figures - a combination of playing golf every day during the summer holidays and there being at least 3 junior medals every week at my club meant that, cone August, maybe a third of the 50 or so juniors playing competitive golf would be generally be playing off 5 or less.

5 was also the cut-off for being eligible for the County team - as there was only 6 clubs in Clackmannanshire, this opened many doors to mediocrity (I once got cuffed 9&8 playing against Stirlingshire at Dunblane, and had played pretty solid golf 😆 - the twat I was playing didn't even offer to complete the round, just walked off the course to ensure everyone could see how early he'd won. I'm not bitter, though...)

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Hadn't noticed that Calum Hill had to withdraw from the tourney in Dubai after an insect bite became infected and flared up during the first round.

Leaders are on -10 after 2 rounds, Bob MacIntyre handily placed at -7 and Grant Forrest on -4.

He had been bitten by a Mosquito a few weeks ago and he withdrew from his last tournament in Spain when it happened. He took a few weeks off to try and be ready for this week but obviously isn't quite there yet. 

Disappointing end to a really encouraging season.

22 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Anyone listened to the latest NLU podcast with Andy Gardiner of the PGL? Some really interesting stuff.

It's a pretty long episode, so I've only listened to the first part. 

Pro golf is going to change massively in the next 10 years imo.