Golfers Thread

Gaz

My early ones to watch this week (avoiding the obvious Rahm, Scheffler, Rory trifecta):

Bob, S-W Kim, Thomas, Hovland and, as the random yank that seems to come from nowhere to win his first major I select Ben Griffin.

13 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I played off 4 when I was 16 so there is some reasonable technique in my muscle memory. I recently got a driver fitting and the clubhead speed of the driver just tipped into the range for an extra stiff shaft (but opted for stiff)

Jammy basturt. On a sunny day with a bit of run and an absolute melter iv seen me hit close to 300 yards but it's the exception rather than the rule. No better feeling in golf than a tee shot followed by a long walk

When I was a teenager, a long, long time ago (and in single figure handicap territory) I could smoke 'em over 300 yards (with wooden woods). 

TBF that was wind assisted in Caithness where last week's conditions would have been almost benign, and those would be balanced by the 100 yards into the wind (if lucky) and on one infamous occasion a negative yardage when I skied one into a gale!

Played maybe 3 full rounds since moving here in 2011, on the driving range recently I'd say about 200 yards with driver (and 3 wood) which isn't bad for a sporadic player rapidly approaching 60. I was more concerned about trying to hit straight than long, notably I still have a very low ball flight mostly, wonder why? 😆

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Jammy basturt. On a sunny day with a bit of run and an absolute melter iv seen me hit close to 300 yards but it's the exception rather than the rule. No better feeling in golf than a tee shot followed by a long walk

Aye, unless it's two fairways over from the one you were aiming at.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

If it makes you feel any better, my ball striking consistency off the deck leaves a fair bit to be desired. 

Do you play at Tryst?

21 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

If it makes you feel any better, my ball striking consistency off the deck leaves a fair bit to be desired. 

Do you play at Tryst?

Na although I have a few times. I would happily play there I think. I quite like it. A lot of my mates find it boring but I think it would suit me atm

Heart says Boab or Tommy or maybe even Rory or Rickie.

Head says a monotonous American ball striking machine like Scheffler, Brooks or Cantlay in these conditions and set up.

I bet Cantlay just to give me an extra reason to dislike him. Still to decide between Hovland and Morikawa and I have ante posts on Lowry and Tommy. Still to pick my handful of 3 figure e/w jobbers.

Best of luck to all who like a flutter.

Screenshot_20230718_135135_Twitter.thumb.jpg.8ab002a77fce8fc71ada584086ee81e9.jpg

20 minutes ago, Herc said:

Heart says Boab or Tommy or maybe even Rory or Rickie.

Head says a monotonous American ball striking machine like Scheffler, Brooks or Cantlay in these conditions and set up.

I bet Cantlay just to give me an extra reason to dislike him. Still to decide between Hovland and Morikawa and I have ante posts on Lowry and Tommy. Still to pick my handful of 3 figure e/w jobbers.

Best of luck to all who like a flutter.

Screenshot_20230718_135135_Twitter.thumb.jpg.8ab002a77fce8fc71ada584086ee81e9.jpg

Do you get a refund if Koepka kills Cantlay on the front 9 because he is so fucking slow?

3 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Aye, unless it's two fairways over from the one you were aiming at.

The feeling of ripping one back over the trees is fucking tremendous though.

Something the robots on the various pro tours will never experience, which is why Jordan Spieth is one of my favourite players

Played in Wednesday Stableford today. 35 points despite having 7 holes where I scored only one point at each. Only had 4 points standing on the 5th tee so very happy with the fightback to get 16 points front 9 and 19 points back 9. A bit irritated by a 3 putt bogey at the last. Also had a 2 so should get some cash. 
Should generate a small cut and will be down to an equal lowest ever index of 5.7. Have a really good score leaving my 20 most recent next time I play so anticipation is I’ll go up a bit again. 

8 hours ago, Burnside91 said:

Heading to St Andrews in October, appart from the old course what course in the area would you recommend for a hit ?

The Castle is the best of the other Links Trust courses for me.  Crail is great fun, and Elie is reasonably close and quite high up my list.

ETA - Kingsbarns and Dumbarnie are both sensational, but at a very different price point!

Edited by Disco Duck

8 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

The Castle is the best of the other Links Trust courses for me.  Crail is great fun, and Elie is reasonably close and quite high up my list.

ETA - Kingsbarns and Dumbarnie are both sensational, but at a very different price point!

Have you ever played the jubilee or fairmont courses? Get some offers on the fairmont ones through work. 

18 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Have you ever played the jubilee or fairmont courses? Get some offers on the fairmont ones through work. 

I’ve played both the Fairmont.  I preferred the Kittocks - but I seem to recall they’re converting it to one composite course?  I’d place Fairmont in the “decent” category rather than anything too notable.  If you get a good offer then worth it.  Tends to have a lot of corporate outings.

not played the Jubilee.