Golfers Thread

Gaz

23 hours ago, Angus_Don said:

Seems some of the stuff being shouted wasn't particularly pleasant either, bit disappointing. Can't understand why they don't ID these clowns and show them the door!

Probably the same cretin as the one who shouted " beans in toast" as a shot was struck 

Wasn't very exciting to watch due to the margin of victory, but with so much discussion about players hitting the ball so far and how to tackle that it was refreshing to see a player win a major primarily due to an incredible short game. His long game was incredible too obviously, but not due to length, but due to precision and strategy. I enjoy watching golf on all types of courses for the variety, but I would like to see more courses that test the players in the way they were tested this week. It reduces the emphasis on players being able to smash the ball 350 yards down the fairway and tests all aspects of their game. If you want to deal with the issue of players hitting it so far then part of the solution is surely to reduce the necessity to do that all the time.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Wasn't very exciting to watch due to the margin of victory, but with so much discussion about players hitting the ball so far and how to tackle that it was refreshing to see a player win a major primarily due to an incredible short game. His long game was incredible too obviously, but not due to length, but due to precision and strategy. I enjoy watching golf on all types of courses for the variety, but I would like to see more courses that test the players in the way they were tested this week. It reduces the emphasis on players being able to smash the ball 350 yards down the fairway and tests all aspects of their game. If you want to deal with the issue of players hitting it so far then part of the solution is surely to reduce the necessity to do that all the time.

Aye, but the problem is, when a course does test the other elements of their game, we generally get a procession of them lining up to whine like f**k about it. 

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Harman was excellent all week, and a well deserved winner.

It's also totally wrong to describe him as a Curtis/Hamilton-type winner. He is a bit of a journeyman, but had finished T19 and then 6th at the last two Opens, and had also previously finished T2 at the 2017 US Open behind Koepka.

This. 

12 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's also totally wrong to describe him as a Curtis/Hamilton-type winner. He is a bit of a journeyman, but had finished T19 and then 6th at the last two Opens, and had also previously finished T2 at the 2017 US Open behind Koepka.

In terms of quality/career, he's miles better than Hamilton who did nothing else of note.  He's unlike Curtis in that he's highly ranked and golf fans knew who he was.  However...

He's a kind of reverse-Curtis as Curtis went on to have 2 more T-10 finishes in the Open and was 2nd at the PGA.  He won 4 PGA tour events and played a Ryder Cup.  His Open win was honking because it was his debut as a complete unknown and he bogeyed his way home and got away with it. Harmon is obviously established on tour, but he's 36 and this Open is his third win in 12 years.  So, loads of praise for his steely play and he obviously deserved it (winning by 6 is incredible), but overall, career prestige wise he's not much ahead. Maybe he'll kick on and win lots more now, maybe not. He'll be a really tough Ryder Cup competitor too. 

14 hours ago, peasy23 said:

😂

I played with hickories at Royal Musselburgh a few years ago - no chance of hitting the ball off a peg teed that high. Tee it low and swing it smooth is the trick (although it took me about 7 or 8 holes to work that out...)

Ewan Murray being ripped a new one in the Grauniad comments after his article on Harman. Accusations aimed at the jambo journalist include 'ignore this bitter scribbler' and 'obsequious McIlroy fanboy'.

Quite.......................

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jul/23/dominant-brian-harman-wins-the-open-to-secure-first-major

15 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Well Said 

4&3 win for me and my partner in the club doubles comp today. Was giving our opponents 12 & 13 strokes. I kept a card of my individual score and went round in 1 under my handicap so pretty happy. We were 4+ as a team. 

That’s always going to be hard to beat so happy enough. Into the Quarters 

So it seems the Royal Liverpool members were already fed up with the 17th even before the pros got to whinge about it. Mentions of groups regularly taking 30 minutes to play it.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/controversial-open-par-3-set-for-complete-overhaul/?fbclid=IwAR3BZQoKbJLw37PnydDI4AiOGYGVmwLH1XUc0oRdYxUIeoZ-PoMApnG_TRE

Played my Kirky’ seniors championship semi final this morning. All square after 18. Replaying the tie tomorrow at 7.40am. I’m knackered. Was giving him 10 shots and he was stroking at 17 & 18. I holed a twelve foot downhill left to right putt on 18 to take it to the replay. My buttocks are still clenched from standing over that putt. Need to ‘execute my game plan’ again tomorrow. Right now, I need a lie down. 😀

14 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Lovely chap

I don’t really get why people are annoyed by this tbh. Of course the act of posing for a photo with an animal you’ve just killed is extremely tasteless, and it certainly wouldn’t be me, but that‘S a bit of a hunting culture thing across the pond.

Hunting and eating a wild animal like that is a far more humane and healthy way of consuming meat. Half the fannys complaining about it are the same folk who will walk into Asda tonight and buy the cheapest mince or chicken on the shelf. Those animals have had a far poorer existence than the one photgraphed above.

Of course all vegans are exempt and are the only people who really have a right to criticise this. 

32 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Played my Kirky’ seniors championship semi final this morning. All square after 18. Replaying the tie tomorrow at 7.40am. I’m knackered. Was giving him 10 shots and he was stroking at 17 & 18. I holed a twelve foot downhill left to right putt on 18 to take it to the replay. My buttocks are still clenched from standing over that putt. Need to ‘execute my game plan’ again tomorrow. Right now, I need a lie down. 😀

A full 18 hole replay? Jeezo.