Golfers Thread

Gaz

42 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Just got a set of the Kirkland sig wedges, really enjoying them so far, would highly recommend!

I’ve got these in the bag. Can’t beat them for value for money anyway and I get on really well with them.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv never knowingly cheated at golf. Iv no doubt broke a few rules without realising regarding tapping down spike marks, playing out of turn or grounding my club accidentally in the sand. Even something as trivial as not announcing your ball is provisional even though you both seen it fly 50 yards OB 

Not one of those supposed infarctions is a breach of the current rules of golf, btw. Carry on!

Blew a golden opportunity to get down to 4 this evening - was on a free hit and sitting +4 after 14 holes, hitting it nicely and needing +2 at worst for the last 5 holes for a cut.

Then my arse collapsed out of nowhere and I dropped 7 shots in 3 holes. Just about held on to shoot +13. What a fud...

Played with a boy once who everytime he marked his ball on the green when he replaced his ball always seemed to be about 5 yds closer to the hole.Finally figured out what he was doing on the 11th he was marking his ball in front but doing it in a way his hand or he would put his body between me and his ball to hide it...had a quiet word on the 12th tee and he never argued the point so it was fair cop plus I was 5 up at the time

10 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Blew a golden opportunity to get down to 4 this evening - was on a free hit and sitting +4 after 14 holes, hitting it nicely and needing +2 at worst for the last 5 holes for a cut.

Then my arse collapsed out of nowhere and I dropped 7 shots in 3 holes. Just about held on to shoot +13. What a fud...

We’ve all been there. My best one was standing on the 18th tee at Lochwinnoch’s closing downhill Par 3. Bunkers left and right of a narrow green shaped somewhat like the number 8. Needed a 3 for a nett 63 in a competition. Hit a lovely five wood, but it slightly hooked left.  Went into the left bunker right up against the face. I had no shot. If I stood in the bunker, I was facing completely away from the green. If I stood outside the bunker and crouched down to attempt the shot, I was looking at three inches of sand, then the ball. If you imagine a compass with the green in the middle. I was stuck at W. Wanted to travel from W to E, but couldn’t. Had to choose between aiming S or N. As a right hander, chose South as I would be standing in the bunker. Hit the shot, thinned it, and it rammed off the bunker face, shot across the green at a 90 degree angle, and thumped down into the other bunker. My arse was melting in front of my, and everyone in the clubhouse lounge’s eyes. Stepped into bunker No2 to play my third shot. Took too much sand, the ball moved about one foot forward. Hit my fourth shot out of the bunker, managed to get it on the edge of the green but nowhere near the pin… three putted for a 7. Came in with a nett 67 and the competition was won with a nett 66.

The details are so etched in my brain that they will never leave. Therapy is no use. I am damaged goods. 😄

Edit - haven’t played Lochwinnoch in nearly 20 years, but a moment ago nipped into Google Earth for a screengrab. The 18th green less resembles a figure 8 now, it’s filled out in the middle a bit, but those two fcuking bunkers… the scene of my crime. Still there. Still laughing at me. 😎

22FA3D5D-4B73-4895-A119-51AE4E489550.png

Edited by pozbaird

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

We’ve all been there. My best one was standing on the 18th tee at Lochwinnoch’s closing downhill Par 3. Bunkers left and right of a narrow green shaped somewhat like the number 8. Needed a 3 for a nett 63 in a competition. Hit a lovely five wood, but it slightly hooked left.  Went into the left bunker right up against the face. I had no shot. If I stood in the bunker, I was facing completely away from the green. If I stood outside the bunker and crouched down to attempt the shot, I was looking at three inches of sand, then the ball. If you imagine a compass with the green in the middle. I was stuck at W. Wanted to travel from W to E, but couldn’t. Had to choose between aiming S or N. As a right hander, chose South as I would be standing in the bunker. Hit the shot, thinned it, and it rammed off the bunker face, shot across the green at a 90 degree angle, and thumped down into the other bunker. My arse was melting in front of my, and everyone in the clubhouse lounge’s eyes. Stepped into bunker No2 to play my third shot. Took too much sand, the ball moved about one foot forward. Hit my fourth shot out of the bunker, managed to get it on the edge of the green but nowhere near the pin… three putted for a 7. Came in with a nett 67 and the competition was won with a nett 66.

The details are so etched in my brain that they will never leave. Therapy is no use. I am damaged goods. 😄

Edit - haven’t played Lochwinnoch in nearly 20 years, but a moment ago nipped into Google Earth for a screengrab. The 18th green less resembles a figure 8 now, it’s filled out in the middle a bit, but those two fcuking bunkers… the scene of my crime. Still there. Still laughing at me. 😎

22FA3D5D-4B73-4895-A119-51AE4E489550.png

Apocalypse Now The Horror GIF - Apocalypse Now The Horror - Discover &  Share GIFs

Has anyone had any m.o.t custom fitting or custom fitting from AG before? I'm in for one today to check my equipment to make sure it's suitable, all clubs, balls, shoes etc. I have an opinion before going that it'll be rubbish, fully aimed at sales opportunities for them and by someone potentially not qualified or the best at this process. (Thats just an opinion and I could be so wrong) The custom fitting is completely free though so I'm tempted.

I also have a driving range 5mins from me (Wellsgreen) I like the place and its £75 a custom fit.

Any insights or anyone who may have had experience with AG custom fittings would be much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

Has anyone had any m.o.t custom fitting or custom fitting from AG before? I'm in for one today to check my equipment to make sure it's suitable, all clubs, balls, shoes etc. I have an opinion before going that it'll be rubbish, fully aimed at sales opportunities for them and by someone potentially not qualified or the best at this process. (Thats just an opinion and I could be so wrong) The custom fitting is completely free though so I'm tempted.

I also have a driving range 5mins from me (Wellsgreen) I like the place and its £75 a custom fit.

Any insights or anyone who may have had experience with AG custom fittings would be much appreciated.

No harm going to AG for the free one, see what they say and can take that elsewhere.

Problem with Wellsgreen is I personally find Donald a bit arsey

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Yep, I reckon we all have a few holes like that, permanently seared into the golfing mind. 

One of my worst was when (after taking most of my 20s off golf) I was playing "For" a handicap again up on Moray Old.  I was hoping to end up off 12; maybe 10 if I played to my best at that time.  I played decently, avoided the gorse, and was +10 in the middle of the par-5 17th fairway with a straightforward 90 yard pitch in for my third.  I usually fancy putting pitches quite close... and yet I somehow snap-hooked it into heavy rough on a steep bank  Two hacks, two putts, double bogey 7. Confidence gone and I rounded it off by doubling the last for good measure = a 14 handicap.  It took me quite a while to grind those 4 shots off in the old handicap system and eventually get down to 9, when it had all been right there in front of me that day!

16 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Yep, last year getting 8 shots I'm 1 under gross standing over my 3rd shot on the par 5 last hole. All you have to do is stick it on the green, 2 putt and you've broken par for the first time in your life.

Of course, sticks it in the pond in front of the green for a double. Won the comp but still.

4 hours ago, Burnside91 said:

Got a time for the leven links open comp on the 12/08- never played it before, anyone been round it ? heard good things 

Some excellent holes (the 18th in particular is a cracking finishing hole, and a potential score-wrecker) but over the past couple of years it has started to look a bit rough around the edges - they had some significant issues with a load of bunker faces collapsing and there are loads of patches where the edge of the first cut goes from zero grass to hairy with nothing in between, leading to some very poor lies. I heard that the irrigation system hadn't worked properly for some time, and this was backed up with seeing a greenkeeper out with a bowser and a length of hose to water some greens at 9pm one evening last summer. The recent patch of damp weather will probably have helped reduce the impact of the patchy fairways, tbh.

Top tip: most of the major trouble is right off the tee, and there's generally LOADS of space left (the odd patch of gorse aside), so get the draw working and you should be okay - I've even seen some members aiming 2 fairways left off the 1st tee to get a better look at the green.