Golfers Thread

Gaz

39 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Looking for a bit of advice with my driving. 

My bad shot off the tee is a big slice. I'm trying (again) to correct this. What is happening now in a good 50% of my drives is that I'm hitting a big, high shot straight left.  Like, 200yds in the air and about 150yds forward. 

I know it's probably something to do with me overcompensating when trying stop the slice.

Any ideas? 

Had similar issues with the driver, was either a low snap hook, big slice and occasionally I'd boom one down the middle. As a result I've ditched the driver for a 13 degree 3 wood, also have a 16 4 wood then down to an 18 iron style hybrid. Gapping seems to work well for me.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Rory injured? 

Iv got it on the telly but on mute with Aberdeen game on the laptop. He did look to be grimacing 

Yeah he’s not looking to good. Hopefully if he feels it getting worse it’s a WD ahead of the big one at the end of Sept 

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Looking for a bit of advice with my driving. 

My bad shot off the tee is a big slice. I'm trying (again) to correct this. What is happening now in a good 50% of my drives is that I'm hitting a big, high shot straight left.  Like, 200yds in the air and about 150yds forward. 

I know it's probably something to do with me overcompensating when trying stop the slice.

Any ideas? 

Even half an hour with a pga pro will be beneficial. Colin Fisher at Great western road range would be my shout if you are from the knightswood area 

4 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Aww great McGinley said nobody 

Quite enjoyed the playoff coverage from the states for the first 2 events and that's it ruined 

I'd love to know what feedback or focus groups Sky look at, I don't know anyone who likes listening to McGinley on commentary.

10 hours ago, Burnside91 said:

Even half an hour with a pga pro will be beneficial. Colin Fisher at Great western road range would be my shout if you are from the knightswood area 

IIRC he’s gentrified himself and now lives in a leafy south side suburb, in which case David Orr at Whitecraigs is the shout

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Went to the range today. This has happened to me before, but I reckon I hooked 70 out of the 100 balls I hit.

Is it a range/mat thing? I don't hook the ball off on the course. Specially not irons

Sometimes it's an alignment thing. I sometimes find it hard to get lined up at certain driving ranges as the bay points in you in a certain direction, forcing you away from the targets or forcing you to hit a draw/fade while risking the snaphook/shank into the bay next door. It was the same when I got a few lessons indoor on a Trackman a few years ago until the pro said to aim right of the line on the middle of the projected screen as the mat wasn't actually in line with it!

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Sometimes it's an alignment thing. I sometimes find it hard to get lined up at certain driving ranges as the bay points in you in a certain direction, forcing you away from the targets or forcing you to hit a draw/fade while risking the snaphook/shank into the bay next door. It was the same when I got a few lessons indoor on a Trackman a few years ago until the pro said to aim right of the line on the middle of the projected screen as the mat wasn't actually in line with it!

When I got my last lessons, I was hooking it a lot on the trackman too but I thought at the time it was down to a change of grip but like I say, it doesn't really follow to the course. Its a PITA tho cos obviously you don't really want to set up to be good at the driving range, but then for sheer practice volume and in winter, you kinda need it

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

When I got my last lessons, I was hooking it a lot on the trackman too but I thought at the time it was down to a change of grip but like I say, it doesn't really follow to the course. Its a PITA tho cos obviously you don't really want to set up to be good at the driving range, but then for sheer practice volume and in winter, you kinda need it

Aye. It might just be me, but I definitely hook the ball less when I'm in a middle-ish bay, even if I'm aiming at a left or right target

Bob wiping out all his good work on the par 3 16th, sliced his first shot so badly he almost missed the water hazard, then put his next from the drop zone through the green into the water. Now has a putt for a 6, and instead of fighting for the top of the leaderboard could be flirting with the cut line instead 

Edit: He was 3 off the lead on the tee, and after his 7 and Bjork's 2 he was 8 back walking off the green.

Edited by peasy23

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Bob wiping out all his good work on the par 3 16th, sliced his first shot so badly he almost missed the water hazard, then put his next from the drop zone through the green into the water. Now has a putt for a 6, and instead of fighting for the top of the leaderboard could be flirting with the cut line instead 

Edit: He was 3 off the lead on the tee, and after his 7 and Bjork's 2 he was 8 back walking off the green.

He needs a couple of good rounds over the weekend now and then cross his fingers none of his immediate rivals go on to win. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He needs a couple of good rounds over the weekend now and then cross his fingers none of his immediate rivals go on to win. 

That's the biggest concern, Paul and Meronk are handily placed going into the weekend, and even though Bob has a 90 point cushion between him and Paul it could easily we wiped out if Bob can't drag himself back up the leaderboard. 

That quad was classic Bob.  I'm always the pessimist but I'm not sure he's playing consistently well enough to hang on to the 3rd spot. He's had a bang average season with one well-timed great tournament at the Scottish.  I think he'll end up hoping for a pick - and there's maybe a 50/50 chance of that.  Hopefully if he needs one, Donald will remember that he makes lots of birdies along with the odd disaster which wouldn't matter in a RC fourball tie.