Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Really? Hell didnt even look it during this weekend, seen quite a few during the first two days where the yanks outdrove the Europeans no bother

Ah well, guess the future course designs will ve interesting 

Euros longer  hitters were only hitting drivers at 3/4 holes this week hence it looked like the Yanks are still the bombers 

Yanks will set up the same as a normal pga event, driver and then pitching wedge contest

Edited by doulikefish

9 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

Had to make do with watching this on my phone and text updates, nervy as hell, delighted for Bob who was probably after a nervy start, the best of all the rookies in the European team. 

Dunno if sky get the pictures from a different company but their coverage was awful, far too many shots missed for adverts or interviews or the fucking nicklaus jacklin award! 

Anyway get it up ye lacava! 

Found this.

The USA Network, responsible for covering the first 10-plus hours of the Ryder Cup on Friday, delivered an onslaught of advertisements to viewers in those opening few hours, enraging the golf internet and resurrecting the neverending debate about the state of golf-viewing in the U.S.

Still not sure what USA Network is. I know ads are necessary (generally in our capitalist society) but they should NOT ruin the spectacle they are supporting.

1 minute ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Yes, although it's not as big a factor as stated as most modern players are pretty similar these days. Le Golf National in 2018 was a brutal 'home' set up.

Donald and Dodo Molinari reckoned that Europe had an edge this time round in driving accuracy and accuracy from 180-220 yards, so this course was set up accordingly. The Americans usually set up for forgiveness off the tee, lots of wedges and quick but flattish greens.

I enjoy how stuff like that can come into play as well, the whole set up is great to watch (if europe win obviously lol) 

11 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I suspect Bethpage 2025 will make all previous RC's, including Kiawah Island, look pretty tame by comparison. The Yanks will be hurting like hell and their desire for a win will be massive. We all know how raucous New York sports fans can be and the pressure on Europe will also be massive.

Given that Luke Donald was parachuted in very late after Stenson was fired and has done a magnificent job, I don't think he'll want to risk spoiling his perfect RC record by taking on the 2025 captaincy, even if offered................................but my usual disclaimer applies...."WTF do I know"

The captain succession has been totally thrown up in the air due to LIV. There's no real obvious candidate atm.

4 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

I enjoy how stuff like that can come into play as well, the whole set up is great to watch (if europe win obviously lol) 

Absolutely, it makes an away win much more meaningful. Seen a few salty Yank tears about moving to neutral venues and independent course set ups.

The captain succession has been totally thrown up in the air due to LIV. There's no real obvious candidate atm.

Absolutely, the lineage is fecked atm. Poulter / Westwood / Garcia are toxic just now but I reckon if this clusterfuck of a union between PGA / DP World / LIV works out, who knows what will happen ?

(Justin Rose was mentioned further up the thread.)

11 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

"P&B Committee" Captain IMO. 

Edited by printer

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/oct/01/mcilroy-becomes-perfect-ryder-cup-animal-and-turns-anger-into-energy

"There is a devastating simplicity to McIlroy’s golf at its most aggressive. It is as if he can barely see the green at all: everything else beyond that billowing flag may as well be irrelevance. Already 1up going into the 3rd, he fired his approach high and straight, landing just 8ft from the cup and stroking the slippery birdie putt down the hill with all the assurance of a man catching a grape in his mouth. By the 7th hole he was 3up, and on a day when Europe could afford to endure a few bumps in the road, McIlroy was resolute that he would not be one of them."

6 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Absolutely, the lineage is fecked atm. Poulter / Westwood / Garcia are toxic just now but I reckon if this clusterfuck of a union between PGA / DP World / LIV works out, who knows what will happen ?

(Justin Rose was mentioned further up the thread.)

Nah rose has another 2 cups in him as a player maybe, especially for experience with any rookies 

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

4 nights’ B&B at The Lexington Hotel, Manhattan
 Ryder Cup Train Transportation (Short walk to Grand Central Station)
 Grounds Ticket – Season Pass
 On-site Tournaments Team

From £4,999.

https://www.golfbreaks.com/en-gb/tournaments/the-ryder-cup/

Can't justify £5k, but I'm seriously considering registering as a volunteer. Did that at 2014 at Gleneagles and thoroughly enjoyed it.

4 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Nah rose has another 2 cups in him as a player maybe, especially for experience with any rookies 

Not so sure, 2 (and 4) years is a long time. Kinda felt like the last dance for Rose as a player this week. Definitely a future Vice Captain and Captain though.

Not so sure, 2 (and 4) years is a long time. Kinda felt like the last dance for Rose as a player this week. Definitely a future Vice Captain and Captain though.

He's only 43 and chipped in with a fair share of points, surely one more at least, rookies could use a head like him away from home next time

11 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

He's only 43 and chipped in with a fair share of points, surely one more at least, rookies could use a head like him away from home next time

Maybe, he won't qualify automatically and would need to be showing some sort of form in 2 years. The 2 obvious comparisons would be Mickelson in 2018 and Westwood in 2021, which were both disastrous.