Golfers Thread

Gaz

36 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

$450 million for Rahm to LIV is the latest figure. $100 million more than the entire 2023 PGA Tour prize fund.

It's pretty sad that numbers like 450 million get tossed about routinely in sport to the point where you do tend to lose context. Dare I say you might not even be overly surprised that for someone like Rahm, that's the figure. It's only when you stack it up for comparison, as you have there, that you really realise how utterly fucking obscene and distasteful the whole thing is. Not limited to the Sportwashing Saudis either, but they really are creating an arms race of utterly vile sums throughout sport and let's be honest, hopefully pushing it towards some sort of cliff edge, because every sport you think you love is getting pushed further and further away from what made you love it. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It's pretty sad that numbers like 450 million get tossed about routinely in sport to the point where you do tend to lose context. Dare I say you might not even be overly surprised that for someone like Rahm, that's the figure. It's only when you stack it up for comparison, as you have there, that you really realise how utterly fucking obscene and distasteful the whole thing is. Not limited to the Sportwashing Saudis either, but they really are creating an arms race of utterly vile sums throughout sport and let's be honest, hopefully pushing it towards some sort of cliff edge, because every sport you think you love is getting pushed further and further away from what made you love it. 

Everyone has their price I guess, and the Saudis know this. There was a near inevitability about this (and football, tennis etc) once they got their foot in the door.

Professional golf (primarily the PGA Tour) has fucked itself by not reading the room. Coasting for years on the back of Tiger, the money and the viewers are slowly drying up now and the Saudis have sniffed the blood in the water.

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

I've always liked Big Jon, and he has multiple more majors in him - but if he goes, I reckon that fails the "What would Seve do?" test and he should be banned from ever mentioning Seve again (which he likes to do, a lot).

Not sure about this tbh. Seve had no love for the Yanks or the PGA Tour and I don't think it's difficult to picture him gleefully getting one over on them by joining a LIV type set up if he was still able to play European Tour.

25 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

Everyone has their price I guess, and the Saudis know this. There was a near inevitability about this (and football, tennis etc) once they got their foot in the door.

Professional golf (primarily the PGA Tour) has fucked itself by not reading the room. Coasting for years on the back of Tiger, the money and the viewers are slowly drying up now and the Saudis have sniffed the blood in the water.

I agree that this is all inevitable and that money talks etc., but how exactly do you suggest the PGA Tour could have avoided the present situation with the Saudi state investment fund buying up players into their lame league with giant suitcases of cash? How could they have read the room better?  Yes, the regular events are nothingy/dull and the US TV coverage is by all accounts terrible, but fixing those things would not have headed off LIV.

As for Seve - he was loyal to the European tour when he could have made far more money playing full-time in America - he had a card for 2 seasons and was suspended in the second one for not playing enough there. Admittedly that was a time when the Euro tour was competitive and more prestigious. The best way to get one over on the PGA tour these days would be to rebuild the credibility of the European tour, and you're not currently allowed to play LIV and Euro tour so I am not convinced Seve would have headed to the 3 day, no-cut events option for the money - at least, not at his competitive peak as Jon may be doing.

6 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The OWGR points on offer for what was effectively an exhibition/charity event between Tiger and his pals last weekend is really giving the LIV crowd ammo. For context - Will Zalatoris earned more points for finishing dead last in a field that contained 20 players than Alex Fitzpatrick who finished T8 at the Aussie Open. 

The golf politics these days is becoming seriously tiring, what an absolute mess this sport is in. This Jon Rahm stuff just highlights the scale of the mess.

They've got a fair point with the Hero tbh, it's ludicrous that it gets as many points as it does.

19 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

They've got a fair point with the Hero tbh, it's ludicrous that it gets as many points as it does.

Absolutely. I enjoy seeing Tiger back playing but the fact he’s jumped up 430 places based on last weekend is absolutely wild. There should arguably be zero points whatsoever available for an event like that.

4 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

I've always liked Big Jon, and he has multiple more majors in him - but if he goes, I reckon that fails the "What would Seve do?" test and he should be banned from ever mentioning Seve again (which he likes to do, a lot).

The same Seve who missed the 1981 Ryder Cup because he was fighting with the European Tour over appearance money, and because he was spending too much time on the more lucrative PGA Tour?

Seve eventually became Mr European Tour, but he wasn’t always that dependable

Looks like I’ll need new golf balls for Christmas 2029. When the UK government said I’d need to buy an electric car in (I think it was) 2030, as internal combustion engines would be banned, I planned to buy a new internal combustion VW Polo on the 31st December 2029. Now, if I’m going to lose five yards on my shots, I’m stocking up on fifty crates of Titelist ProV 1s instead. Fcuk losing five yards. I’m going to cheat. 😜

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Looks like I’ll need new golf balls for Christmas 2029. When the UK government said I’d need to buy an electric car in (I think it was) 2030, as internal combustion engines would be banned, I planned to buy a new internal combustion VW Polo on the 31st December 2029. Now, if I’m going to lose five yards on my shots, I’m stocking up on fifty crates of Titelist ProV 1s instead. Fcuk losing five yards. I’m going to cheat. 😜

The only reason my current batch will last to 2024 is that I don't tend to play in December

24 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

21 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The only reason my current batch will last to 2024 is that I don't tend to play in December

If you know a club pro etc ask them if they have contacts in a manufacturer/ sales type ..they tend to flog off "last years" stuff around now for wholesale prices hence my earlier post about buying a job lot which I always do around now and I'm the proud owner of 240 chrome softs 🤣

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

I agree that this is all inevitable and that money talks etc., but how exactly do you suggest the PGA Tour could have avoided the present situation with the Saudi state investment fund buying up players into their lame league with giant suitcases of cash? How could they have read the room better? 

The Premier Golf League (PGL) made an offer to the PGA for a LIV style off season/winter league. PGA would have had full control with profits split, it was backed by hedge funds and had the kind of top, top tier sponsors (the type LIV are currently trying and failing to attract) lying in wait to buy into teams. 

The PGA never gave them the time of day.

Would the Saudis have still went ahead ? Maybe, but it's massively less likely they would have got your Mickelsons, your Koepkas your Brysons to sign up. It's more likely the Saudis would have just tried to buy a team or two.

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Yes, the regular events are nothingy/dull and the US TV coverage is by all accounts terrible, but fixing those things would not have headed off LIV.

It's all related though. The unwillingness to change things, or identify problems. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

The same Seve who missed the 1981 Ryder Cup because he was fighting with the European Tour over appearance money, and because he was spending too much time on the more lucrative PGA Tour?

Seve eventually became Mr European Tour, but he wasn’t always that dependable

Seve was right. The organisers of events in the UK were paying appearance fees to leading Americans but not him. So he boycotted the events and went elsewhere. The 81 Ryder Cup was a selection shambles. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/that-1980s-sports-blog/2014/oct/17/seve-ballesteros-1981-ryder-cup-reject-world-match-play-champion

I still have some Dunlop 65's........still in their wrappers    Actually someone gave them to me about 25 years ago.....which was years after they stopped being legal....tempted to un-wrap one some day.

I am surprised that this rule change is not coming into force until 2029. I am sure it could have been implemented at least a couple years earlier.  Perhaps we will see the average tour drive increase from current 299.9 yards to 320 yards by the time of the ball change.