Golfers Thread

Gaz

38 minutes ago, Cheese said:

What's the winning score today lads ? 

-6 ?

If the weather stays as is then it would be hard to see that not winning, if anyone can even get there.

I’ll guess someone wins at -7 by putting together a miracle round… Bloody Scottie Shefflurr most likely, or Rory, if he gets off to a fast start.

Edited by pozbaird

I was glued to that yesterday for about 6 hours: seeing them battle the back 9 was the best sport I've watched on TV for awhile. Something very pleasing about seeing Scottie S experiencing the wet feet, cold hands, waterproofs-stuck-to-legs trudge down an Ayrshire fairway.

Would like to see Horschel or Brown do it today. Think one of the box office Americans might come through though. Schauffele looked classy yesterday.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

Been to plenty of Opens over the years and went to Troon on Thursday.  I wasn't at Birkdale in 08 but this was the hardest I've seen a course setup and conditions combo since Carnoustie in 99 (one of the first things we saw that long-ago Thursday was "S. Garcia - 89" on the leaderboard).

Yesterday's play was an absolutely tremendous watch, the biggest hitters in world golf unable to hit the back 9 par 4s in two; an almost unreachable par 3; Billy Ho getting down in two from everywhere except on the last, almost everyone soaked and seething in proper weather.  That's what I want to see at the Open.

As for today, I like Brown and his freewheeling style but he'd join the list of random, no-mark winners like Hamilton, Curtis etc., so Top 5 for him and a big cheque would be plenty.  Hoping for a non-Yank and non-Thriston Lawrence champion; Adam Scott would be ideal.

Big Jon birdies the first three...

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

JT fucks it onto the beach off the first tee.

The Justin Thomas situation if he were a Scottish club golfer… Banjoes his first 35 yards out of bounds. Re-loads with a scuffed shitey Pinnacle or Slazenger ball they found in a bush the previous week and kept for exactly this situation. Smacks the Pinnacle straight down the middle. Loudy says ‘why the fcuk can’t you do that the first time’. Walks off the first tee in a mood. Turns to playing partner - ‘Fcuk sake, at least I stuck my two quid into the 2’s competition, that’ll keep me going to the 17th.’ Playing partner responds - ‘Mind it’s a stableford today’…. ‘Oh aye, so it is. Magic. Forgot about that’.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The Justin Thomas situation if he were a Scottish club golfer… Banjoes his first 35 yards out of bounds. Re-loads with a scuffed shitey Pinnacle or Slazenger ball they found in a bush the previous week and kept for exactly this situation. Smacks the Pinnacle straight down the middle. Loudy says ‘why the fcuk can’t you do that the first time’. Walks off the first tee in a mood. Turns to playing partner - ‘Fcuk sake, at least I stuck my two quid into the 2’s competition, that’ll keep me going to the 17th.’ Playing partner responds - ‘Mind it’s a stableford today’…. ‘Oh aye, so it is. Magic. Forgot about that’.

Funniest thing I've read for ages. Sterling work

Stepping away slightly from the open to tell you wonderful gents and fellow hackers that I won the division 2 matchplay today 4&2. 

Hopefully Billy Horschel joins me for our Trophy Sunday 🏆

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Stepping away slightly from the open to tell you wonderful gents and fellow hackers that I won the division 2 matchplay today 4&2. 

Hopefully Billy Horschel joins me for our Trophy Sunday 🏆

Can you give half a greenie? Delighted for you but want Justin to win 🤣