Golfers Thread

Gaz

Reports suggest Davis Love III will get another shot at being US Ryder Cup captain. Worked well the last time - well, until the Sunday.

An appointment that I believe is a smart and potentially inspired one. For a number of reasons.

My article on why it is a clever selection: http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/8399/Davis_Love_III_to_Captain_US_2016_Ryder_Cup_Team.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of taking up golf (get invited to a lot of golf events with my work). I went to a driving range tonight and hit 50 balls with a 6 Iron. Maybe 5 of them went beyond 100 yards and my wrists now ache. Any advice for a complete newbie?

Maybe try a little bit more loft for a beginner. Maybe closer to an 8 or 9 iron. It's not about how far you can hit it but getting a feel for making good contact and a bit of tempo into a swing. Depending on quality of the mats and your swing then your joints can take a bit of a doing. When I practiced in the winter a few years ago I got a really bad case of tennis elbow due to practicing on poor mats.

I'm thinking of taking up golf (get invited to a lot of golf events with my work). I went to a driving range tonight and hit 50 balls with a 6 Iron. Maybe 5 of them went beyond 100 yards and my wrists now ache. Any advice for a complete newbie?

I would suggest getting a lesson to get your basic swing sorted. It's easier to cut out the bad habits before they become habits.

I would suggest getting a lesson to get your basic swing sorted. It's easier to cut out the bad habits before they become habits.

Defiantly this. If you're serious about taking it up. Get yourself to a pro and get some lessons, 4 or 5 will probably do the trick to get the basics in. Your game will be better quicker and as already stated you'll nip bad habits in the bud before they become bad habits.

Good Luck.

111 round dunkeld today. Out on 60, back in 51, which included an 11 at the 10th. Really got in to my stride the last 6 holes or so, culminating in a birdie 2 at the 18th. Only the second time I have ever birdied a hole.

Lovely wee course.

Watching the Houston Open, "fans" who shout "mashed potatoes" should be lined up in front of a firing squad imo.

Does anyone else listen to the @bythemingolf podcast? They've always been good with guests including Paul Lawrie and Chubby Chandler, but the last two with Tom Callahan and Hank Haney have been simply superb, brilliant insight into Tiger and his various travails of the last few years.