Golfers Thread

Gaz

6 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

The Seve one is so different. It shows a touch of class. Lowry is swearing at a volunteer who is just doing his job. Twattish behaviour. 

Agree the response wasn't comparable. I was just meaning that it made me think of the Seve response. I would imagine though that in a non Ryder Cup environment Lowry would have been a bit less abrupt. 

It's worth noting that at that time Lowry looked like he was having to dig out a half point and said afterwards it was the most stressful 2 hours he's had on a golf course. Given the steward quickly apologises and keeps his trap shut it suggests to me he knows he messed up. Whole lot of moaning about nothing. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/oct/03/ryder-cup-2023-golf-rome-theatre-of-history

"You get a fluorescent green bib from the front desk, and it makes you look a bit like you’re about to do community service, but you don’t really mind, because what you’ve just been given is actually a golden key. One of the most precious items in the whole of sportswriting – right up there with your thesaurus, your dog-eared envelope full of expense receipts, and Wikipedia. You’re about to enter a magical portal into a sunlit universe of big swings and perfumed shoulders, cigar smoke and mild swearing.

There are times in this job when you feel the need to explain to people that actually, it’s not as opulent and idyllic as it all seems. That there are deadlines and demands, brutally early starts and late nights, interminable hours spent in windowless rooms waiting for a man in a tracksuit to shower you in banalities, long train journeys with Jonathan Wilson. Then, of course, there are the moments that just need to be savoured and shared. Lean into the smugness. Come with me. We’re going behind the ropes at the Ryder Cup."

On 02/10/2023 at 00:26, Fuctifano said:

Does anyone have the approximate scores for the singles in relation to par, believe Hatton was 6 under allowing for concessions etc but haven't seen them anywhere else?

Did it myself, appreciate matchplay scoring always lower but bloody hell Rory. 

Bob's match the hardest to score at Clark conceded the 16th after sticking two in the water so he would likely have been over par. 

20231003_101819.jpg

19 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It would be insightful to know what figure would make him wear a Team USA hat that fits him.

FTFY

Apparently this hat and the one for Whistling Straits didn't fit him, the weasely lying c*nt.

The man encapsulates everything the stereotypical professional sportsman claims to the outside world not to be.

Imagine working beside him every day in civvy street?!

C*ntlay as he's called North of the Forth Bridge.

Edited by BukyOHare

22 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Kin hell it's the 3rd most watched sporting event in the world after checking 

I'd be amazed if that was actually true. Italy and USA probably only two countries in the world that had live and free coverage of it at the weekend. 

7 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Did it myself, appreciate matchplay scoring always lower but bloody hell Rory. 

Bob's match the hardest to score at Clark conceded the 16th after sticking two in the water so he would likely have been over par. 

20231003_101819.jpg

Burn’s definitely drawing the short straw in coming up against Rory. 5 under not shabby but he did well to take him to the 17th.

Fitzpatrick’s level par effort was another disappointment to add to a Ryder cup record which is difficult to explain for a player with such a stellar amateur and professional career under his belt already - played 8, won 1 and lost 7.

In his favour 2 of his 3 appearances have been in losing away fixtures at Hazeltine and Whistling Straits and he was handed the much harder team option of foursomes in both those outings. He also had the considerable additional handicap in his two Whistling Straits foursome attempts of being paired with the lead weight that was Lee Westwood who was a shocking wildcard pick by Harrington and undoubtedly the worst since the annoying blowhard McGinley picked Stephen Gallacher over Luke Donald amongst others for Gleneagles which he should always be reminded of when he starts pontificating about captaincy.

If Donald does stick around for 2025 having a plan for turning Fitzpatrick, who is one of the names from the current team you’d bank on for being an automatic qualifier at Bethpage, into an asset rather than a almost guaranteed two or three point head start for the yanks must be high on his agenda.

The free entry on days one to three is something they should publicise more as it's a great thing. Especially with the option of the three courses to go to. 

Still miss the old format of the Dunhill with the three men national teams. Woods, O'Meara and Daly representing the USA in 98 or 99 was superb.