Golfers Thread

Gaz

Here's probably the best place to ask.

Where's best to buy clubs? I'm not a new player or anything, I bought my current clubs off of a mate when he got new clubs(£40 for the 3-9, P&SW iron set and bag. I just used my old driver/woods and putter) but they're a bit worn. The grips are also shite. Well I presume it's the grip as I used to play with only one glove but my fingers were getting blisters so I took to taking two gloves but it occurred to me that it's probably the grips that aren't great.

The set is so old that it'd probably be a bit of a waste of regripping them(although, I'm really not sure how much this costs) so figured I'd look into getting a new set. Where's best to get them? Not really sure about a budget, just sort of window shopping at the moment since it'd be a few weeks before I bought anything.

Here's probably the best place to ask.

Where's best to buy clubs? I'm not a new player or anything, I bought my current clubs off of a mate when he got new clubs(£40 for the 3-9, P&SW iron set and bag. I just used my old driver/woods and putter) but they're a bit worn. The grips are also shite. Well I presume it's the grip as I used to play with only one glove but my fingers were getting blisters so I took to taking two gloves but it occurred to me that it's probably the grips that aren't great.

The set is so old that it'd probably be a bit of a waste of regripping them(although, I'm really not sure how much this costs) so figured I'd look into getting a new set. Where's best to get them? Not really sure about a budget, just sort of window shopping at the moment since it'd be a few weeks before I bought anything.

Gumtree's decent if you know what to look for. I got a set of Callaway Big Berthas (4-PW), Callaway driver, Bay Hill hybrid, Jack Nicklaus putter, Slazenger cart bag and about fifty Taylormade balls for £150.

Hit 100 today, which, although it was worse than my last round, I was actually pleased with as I probably played my best golf ever between holes 4 and 14. Unfortunately I blew it on 1, 15, 16, 17 and 18 meaning a potential 90 ended with 10 shots more!

Playing my first medal of the season this evening, could be interesting though looking forward to it

Started with 4 pars today and thought I was on to something but dropping 7 shots in the next 5 holes put paid to that. Finished with a disappointing 82.

Gotta feel for my playing partner tonight who was 12 over through 16 holes (playing off 17) and finished 9, 6.

Teed off at 5.55pm and finished at 9.30 - how I love playing golf in the dark!

Has anyone every played Ballyliffin Golf Course in Donegal? An absolute stunning links course which Rory McIlroy holds the course record at.

He done this photo shoot 4 days after winning the US Open;

557259_10150646200844760_81974179759_9541054_574961271_n.jpg

Edited by forzamorton

My last two rounds have been 106 and 104. A disappointing 8 on the Par 4 fourth today and a poor 9 on the Par 5 twelfth the only real blips on the card.

Finally starting to feel that breaking 100 regularly by the end of the summer is very possible. A few weeks ago I didn't think I'd get anywhere near it.

Another 106 for me today.

Happy that I seem to have found a bit of consistency, that's my last three rounds that have been under 110. Three pars today, including two in a row.

Also, worth renaming this thread to the 'Golfers Thread' now that I'm no longer, well, looking to take it up?

Played a wee nine holes after some studying tonight. Have had a horrible slice with my drives recently so have been gripping the club a little differently and it seems to be working - bar the odd bad drive.

Was on the 8th hole, little par 3 over a gully. It was just a simple wedge in, pin was back right. It landed right in the middle of the green so safe and sound. Went over and realise it landed on the exact spot the flag was the day before.

If it was still there, I would have my first ever hole in one.

I went out for 9 holes last night and as I was going to the teeing ground another chap was there. He was going to play himself so we agreed to pair up. He had never broken 100, same as me, so I reckoned we'd be about level.

I then proceeded to play some of the best golf I've ever played, going out in 47, including two pars and three bogeys. The boy must have thought I was hustling him. Was delighted with how I played but felt really bad at the same time!

Nice guy though and took it all in good fun.

Played a wee nine holes after some studying tonight. Have had a horrible slice with my drives recently so have been gripping the club a little differently and it seems to be working - bar the odd bad drive.

Was on the 8th hole, little par 3 over a gully. It was just a simple wedge in, pin was back right. It landed right in the middle of the green so safe and sound. Went over and realise it landed on the exact spot the flag was the day before.

If it was still there, I would have my first ever hole in one.

Are you a member at Greenock Forza?

Got my first (well, only...) hole in one at the Gully as a junior back in 1999. Assumed it would be the first of many - still waiting on that second one 13 years later :lol:

Are you a member at Greenock Forza?

Got my first (well, only...) hole in one at the Gully as a junior back in 1999. Assumed it would be the first of many - still waiting on that second one 13 years later :lol:

Indeed I am. 'The gully' is a great wee hole, was so intimidating when you where a youngster but as you get older, you realise it's only a simple wedge. Cannot tell you how many times I have either lipped out or hit the pin on 'the gully', it's ridiculous.

One of of these day's I'll get that hole in one but no doubt, I'll be playing on my own and nobody will believe me. laugh.gif

Guest honestrae95

Has anyone every played Ballyliffin Golf Course in Donegal? An absolute stunning links course which Rory McIlroy holds the course record at.

He done this photo shoot 4 days after winning the US Open;

557259_10150646200844760_81974179759_9541054_574961271_n.jpg

Yes! Its a wee belter of a course. My mum and dad have a holiday house just outside Donegal Town so i usually play at Murvagh GC near the house but i went a tour with a couple of pals, and we played here after playing Buncrana GC. Had a great laugh, and i played quite well!

I usually play off 12 at Brunston Castle, which is ok considering i'm 16 and just started playing a few years ago. Never knew there was a golf thread.

Yes! Its a wee belter of a course. My mum and dad have a holiday house just outside Donegal Town so i usually play at Murvagh GC near the house but i went a tour with a couple of pals, and we played here after playing Buncrana GC. Had a great laugh, and i played quite well!

I usually play off 12 at Brunston Castle, which is ok considering i'm 16 and just started playing a few years ago. Never knew there was a golf thread.

I currently play of 16 but I fully expect that to come down over the summer. Have you ever played Greencastle Golf Club before? Lovely little course in which I am a member of.

I've got a scratch open at a place called Burhill on Sunday. It hosts a Europro tour event in 3 weeks, the new course is 7,000 yards and due to the recent weather down here there is no run on the ball at all.

SSS is 73, so I need 76 or better to buffer, which is not going to happen. Add in the 7.56am tee off and the almost certainty of +0.2 on my handicap, and it's probably the least I've looked forward to a scratch open ever.

I've got a scratch open at a place called Burhill on Sunday. It hosts a Europro tour event in 3 weeks, the new course is 7,000 yards and due to the recent weather down here there is no run on the ball at all.

SSS is 73, so I need 76 or better to buffer, which is not going to happen. Add in the 7.56am tee off and the almost certainty of +0.2 on my handicap, and it's probably the least I've looked forward to a scratch open ever.

+0.2?! I thought it was 0.1?