Golfers Thread

Gaz

In view of this I decided to play 9 on the wee course last night, forgot how good scoring could be of your iron play is solid.

Started with 5 pars before missing a 4 ft straight uphill par putt at 6. Went left with my approach to 7 and had to hack out the trees leading to a double bogey, finishing par par for a 35.

Nice wee course and greens seemed to be in really good nick, if a little slow. Good to play for a change of scene.

Yeah mate, cracking little course. If you are hitting the ball decent you will go round well. Lipped out for an eagle on the 6th last week but made sure I held the birdie putt. smile.gif

Most inconsistent round ever last night... Had 5 (FIVE) duffs, chipped through 2 greens, putted off a green, took an 8, a 7, lost a ball (at a par 3) and somehow managed to remain in buffer zone with a 83 - 13 = 70.

Quite unbelievable how I could play so badly and stay in buffer albeit my long game was pretty solid.

Sorry, but :lol:

Can't say i've ever done that!

One day I hit an approach shot - an absolute gem, it soared and dropped on the front fringe of the green before coming to a rest about 8 feet from the flag.

Only one problem.

At my club the second green and the 18th green are side by side, separated by about 15-20 yards of rough and a bunker. I was approaching the 18th. I was eight feet from the second flag. I had to putt off of the green then play a wedge shot up on to the 18th green :lol:

Played 18 holes yesterday. The greens were unbelievably slow and it took me a while to get used to - unfortunately that involved several three putts before I got into it. Once I got that sorted the rest of my game took a turn for the worse. Not a great score overall <_<

Sorry, but :lol:

Can't say i've ever done that!

It was even worse than that TIG... not only did the ball go off the green but there is a bunker on that side of the green and but for the raised lip I'd have found myself in the sand.

In my defence, it was a 30 ft downhill putt and I wanted to give it a good ride :lol:

I had to putt off of the green then play a wedge shot up on to the 18th green :lol:

Actually you were entitled to a free drop under rule 25-3.

You done yourself out of a stroke!

Fourth round of the year at Stirling last weekend. Reasonably happy with an 86 given how few rounds I've played in the last three years. Takes me a few holes to get the timing going and probably lashed at it a bit too much before then, hence why my back is f*cked this week. :(

Short game was again pretty solid.

First game in about 16 months and first time I've held a club in my hand too and crikey! I wish I could play like that all the time.

Out of the 6 par 3s, I hit 5 GIRs, 4 pars and 2 bogeys. 3 Par's and highest score was a double bogey on the par 5.

Went round all in all for 88 and my best ever score previously was 85 when I was playing every day/evening a few summers ago.

Hungry for more now, but no doubt next time I go out, I'll end up shooting 110 or something.

Does anyone find this too? Your first round after an extended break is a stormer or you at least hit a few magnificent shots that the gets the bug back in for more golfing success.

Happy golfing to all. 8)

First game in about 16 months and first time I've held a club in my hand too and crikey! I wish I could play like that all the time.

Out of the 6 par 3s, I hit 5 GIRs, 4 pars and 2 bogeys. 3 Par's and highest score was a double bogey on the par 5.

Went round all in all for 88 and my best ever score previously was 85 when I was playing every day/evening a few summers ago.

Hungry for more now, but no doubt next time I go out, I'll end up shooting 110 or something.

Does anyone find this too? Your first round after an extended break is a stormer or you at least hit a few magnificent shots that the gets the bug back in for more golfing success.

Happy golfing to all. 8)

First game back is usually good as you just try to keep the ball in play with little expectations. It's when you've played a few rounds and believe you can drive every par 4 on the course that the big numbers appear on the scorecard.

Putting and chipping generally suffers from such a lay off however. At least in my experience.

Going up to play the medal this evening having not struck a ball for a week, hopefully play slightly better than last Wed.

Broke 100 for the first time on Tuesday night, at my mates' course over at Tulliallan. Annoyingly an 8 at the last hole had me finishing on 99 rather than the 96 I was hoping for, but a slightly overhit third shot saw me roll off the green into a bunker.

Still, delighted!

Well done Gaz.. It's a wonderful feeling, I remember mine a couple of years back and the world wouldn't stop me from becoming scratch after that :ph34r: which maybe it didn't but the courses of Scotland certainly did.

Just went round again and this time came in with a 91 which I'm fairly happy about, but wasn't hitting the ball as sweet as yesterday. You are right about yesterday, CC - went in just thinking if I can can bogey or double bogey every hole I'd be fairly chuffed after a period away from playing.

Also, I've found not counting the scorecard on the course helps, especially on the rounds where everything you hit feels great or you get the luck of the rolling hills and bounces to keep the play in a decent position.

What's everyone's golfing aims for the summer or to have by the end of 2012?

I'd love to be shooting at or below the 90 level on a consistent basis by the end of the year. My best so far is a 91 with a couple of 93s as well, but over the last couple of weeks I've been utterly woeful. Going for a lesson tomorrow to try and straighten things out again!

Get down to scratch and win my club championship (which is this Saturday).

Also, playing the West course at Wentworth next Tuesday, would like to break 80 round there.

This is my first year without any uni or CA exams so have had the chance to actually play properly for the first time in 8 years.

Started the year at 13.0 and quickly rose to 13.2 with a couple of early NRs n decided to aim for 10.9 (handicap I held before uni) as a realistic target.

Had a couple of scores lately n after tonight's 78 im think im down to 11.7 so I'm gonna aim for 10.4 which I'd hope is attainable.

That said, I'm just happy to be enjoying my golf and able to get back in amongst the medals again.